Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 312841
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:53 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know anything about Stubbs Alderton?


Other than that every corporate associate in LA has gotten six thousand emails and phone calls from recruiters about them over the last year?


Guess they're just getting around to me then lol... so I guess no one knows anything about them?

User avatar
SmokeytheBear

Silver
Posts: 923
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:40 pm

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby SmokeytheBear » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know anything about Stubbs Alderton?


Other than that every corporate associate in LA has gotten six thousand emails and phone calls from recruiters about them over the last year?


Guess they're just getting around to me then lol... so I guess no one knows anything about them?



I have a co worker who took the bait and interviewed last year, but didn't get the offer. He said they seemed nice. But just seems fishy to me that they have been searching this long.

User avatar
jbagelboy

Diamond
Posts: 10244
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: UCLA/USC/UCI OCI Stuff -- Free Advice

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:47 am

gchatbrah wrote:Ranking beyond the top 3 in LA is sort of pointless. General consensus is:

MTO, Covington LA, Akin Gump (Century City).

Everyone else.


Wut

HellfirePeninsula

New
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:42 pm

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby HellfirePeninsula » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:23 am

What's the OCI timeline for LA firms? I know a couple people who had quick CBs (w/in 24 hours of screener), but that seems to be the exception rather than the norm.

KM2016

Bronze
Posts: 259
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:20 am

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby KM2016 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:36 am

HellfirePeninsula wrote:What's the OCI timeline for LA firms? I know a couple people who had quick CBs (w/in 24 hours of screener), but that seems to be the exception rather than the norm.


Generally slower than NY. When I was going through OCI at USC/UCLA, it wasn't unusual for some firms to wait 7-10 days to start extending callbacks. That being said, there were some firms that extended callbacks same-day or the next day -- but this isn't the norm like in NY.

All things being equal, I've noticed a spike in pre-OCI movement at my firm this year. Wonder if that's becoming more normal.

Anonymous User
Posts: 312841
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:12 am

Seems like some firms have gotten back very quickly (under 24 hours) and others are taking longer to make their initial callbacks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 312841
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:Seems like some firms have gotten back very quickly (under 24 hours) and others are taking longer to make their initial callbacks.

is this from your school's OCI screeners or from massmailing?

User avatar
SmokeytheBear

Silver
Posts: 923
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:40 pm

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby SmokeytheBear » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:28 am

KM2016 wrote:
All things being equal, I've noticed a spike in pre-OCI movement at my firm this year. Wonder if that's becoming more normal.


Likewise.

mganteater

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:33 pm

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby mganteater » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:53 am

Can we start a running list of firms that have already extended callbacks?

User avatar
SmokeytheBear

Silver
Posts: 923
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:40 pm

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby SmokeytheBear » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:09 am

I can confirm callbacks from

GDC
S&C
OMM CC
Skadden
Proskauer

Anonymous User
Posts: 312841
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Seems like some firms have gotten back very quickly (under 24 hours) and others are taking longer to make their initial callbacks.

is this from your school's OCI screeners or from massmailing?


OCI screeners.

KM2016

Bronze
Posts: 259
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:20 am

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby KM2016 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:34 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:I can confirm callbacks from

GDC
S&C
OMM CC
Skadden
Proskauer


I'll add Latham, Milbank, Sheppard, Wilson Sonsini, Orrick, Akin Gump and OMM downtown to that list.

mganteater

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:33 pm

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby mganteater » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:47 pm

Latham LA or Orange County?

Anonymous User
Posts: 312841
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:57 pm

KM2016 wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:I can confirm callbacks from

GDC
S&C
OMM CC
Skadden
Proskauer


I'll add Latham, Milbank, Sheppard, Wilson Sonsini, Orrick, Akin Gump and OMM downtown to that list.


Is that Latham CC or DT? I have only heard of CC, but please correct me if I am wrong...

User avatar
SmokeytheBear

Silver
Posts: 923
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:40 pm

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby SmokeytheBear » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:39 pm

Anyone know the scoop on WSGR's LA office?

User avatar
SmokeytheBear

Silver
Posts: 923
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:40 pm

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby SmokeytheBear » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:40 pm

mganteater wrote:Latham LA or Orange County?


I wish I had the desire to practice in OC. Would be a dope place to be. Super chilled out lifestyle. Low cost of living. Market pay.

Anonymous User
Posts: 312841
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:51 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:Anyone know the scoop on WSGR's LA office?


Small office but growing..Seems like most of the emerging company and VC work is done out of their other offices in CA.

Anonymous User
Posts: 312841
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:10 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:Anyone know the scoop on WSGR's LA office?


Wouldn't do corporate there. Friends worked with the midlevel and it was bad.

Anonymous User
Posts: 312841
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:22 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
mganteater wrote:Latham LA or Orange County?


I wish I had the desire to practice in OC. Would be a dope place to be. Super chilled out lifestyle. Low cost of living. Market pay.


Chiller than LA probably, definitely not low cost of living. Obviously its no SF or New York, but a nice 1 bedroom will set you back 2k a month at least.

User avatar
SmokeytheBear

Silver
Posts: 923
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:40 pm

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby SmokeytheBear » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
mganteater wrote:Latham LA or Orange County?


I wish I had the desire to practice in OC. Would be a dope place to be. Super chilled out lifestyle. Low cost of living. Market pay.


Chiller than LA probably, definitely not low cost of living. Obviously its no SF or New York, but a nice 1 bedroom will set you back 2k a month.


Let's chill the unnecessary anon use in this thread.

2k a month sure if you want PRIME Costa Mesa, Newps, or Laguna. But deals can be had in non-prime Costa Mesa, Tustin, and Santa Ana.

MrT

Bronze
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:37 am

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby MrT » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:31 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
mganteater wrote:Latham LA or Orange County?


I wish I had the desire to practice in OC. Would be a dope place to be. Super chilled out lifestyle. Low cost of living. Market pay.


Chiller than LA probably, definitely not low cost of living. Obviously its no SF or New York, but a nice 1 bedroom will set you back 2k a month.


Let's chill the unnecessary anon use in this thread.

2k a month sure if you want PRIME Costa Mesa, Newps, or Laguna. But deals can be had in non-prime Costa Mesa, Tustin, and Santa Ana.

Tustin is more expensive than you think. You'd have to be willing to be pretty far from Irvine/Costa Mesa/Newport to find anything under $2,000 for a 1BR.

User avatar
SmokeytheBear

Silver
Posts: 923
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:40 pm

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby SmokeytheBear » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:41 pm

MrT wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
mganteater wrote:Latham LA or Orange County?


I wish I had the desire to practice in OC. Would be a dope place to be. Super chilled out lifestyle. Low cost of living. Market pay.


Chiller than LA probably, definitely not low cost of living. Obviously its no SF or New York, but a nice 1 bedroom will set you back 2k a month.


Let's chill the unnecessary anon use in this thread.

2k a month sure if you want PRIME Costa Mesa, Newps, or Laguna. But deals can be had in non-prime Costa Mesa, Tustin, and Santa Ana.

Tustin is more expensive than you think. You'd have to be willing to be pretty far from Irvine/Costa Mesa/Newport to find anything under $2,000 for a 1BR.


Didnt realize it had gotten that bad behind the curtain.

Surely you can still score a siccccccck shack in San Clemente on the cheap?

Anonymous User
Posts: 312841
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:41 pm

Any insight on JD OC?

MrT

Bronze
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:37 am

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby MrT » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:48 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
MrT wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
mganteater wrote:Latham LA or Orange County?


I wish I had the desire to practice in OC. Would be a dope place to be. Super chilled out lifestyle. Low cost of living. Market pay.


Chiller than LA probably, definitely not low cost of living. Obviously its no SF or New York, but a nice 1 bedroom will set you back 2k a month.


Let's chill the unnecessary anon use in this thread.

2k a month sure if you want PRIME Costa Mesa, Newps, or Laguna. But deals can be had in non-prime Costa Mesa, Tustin, and Santa Ana.

Tustin is more expensive than you think. You'd have to be willing to be pretty far from Irvine/Costa Mesa/Newport to find anything under $2,000 for a 1BR.


Didnt realize it had gotten that bad behind the curtain.

Surely you can still score a siccccccck shack in San Clemente on the cheap?

I know some people that just commute in from Riverside. I suppose you could take advantage of the beautiful desert to the east. Or you could opt to be a little closer to LA and live in Ontario. Great singles scene.

Anonymous User
Posts: 312841
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:37 pm

MrT wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
MrT wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
mganteater wrote:Latham LA or Orange County?


I wish I had the desire to practice in OC. Would be a dope place to be. Super chilled out lifestyle. Low cost of living. Market pay.


Chiller than LA probably, definitely not low cost of living. Obviously its no SF or New York, but a nice 1 bedroom will set you back 2k a month.


Let's chill the unnecessary anon use in this thread.

2k a month sure if you want PRIME Costa Mesa, Newps, or Laguna. But deals can be had in non-prime Costa Mesa, Tustin, and Santa Ana.

Tustin is more expensive than you think. You'd have to be willing to be pretty far from Irvine/Costa Mesa/Newport to find anything under $2,000 for a 1BR.


Didnt realize it had gotten that bad behind the curtain.

Surely you can still score a siccccccck shack in San Clemente on the cheap?

I know some people that just commute in from Riverside. I suppose you could take advantage of the beautiful desert to the east. Or you could opt to be a little closer to LA and live in Ontario. Great singles scene.

the commute from Riverside on the 91 is TTT and i'm not sure i've ever heard of people describing Ontario as a great single's scene.

and there's no way you need to get that far from irvine to have a single for <2000.
graduated from uc irvine last year with some friends still living around the area and there's definitely 1 BR's within commute distance (<10 miles) for <2000 in santa ana and costa mesa with tustin being a bit further



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.