Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
SmokeytheBear

Silver
Posts: 923
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:40 pm

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby SmokeytheBear » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:52 pm

bk1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is the market hot right now for junior/mid-level laterals?


It’s an inferno. I’m getting at least five emails a day. LA, Bay, SD and a ton of random shit—Denver, Houston, Dallas, Boston.

Mid level corporate. And I look very good in my firm and linked in profile pics.


Can confirm. I'm getting bombarded on a daily basis (anywhere between four and seven emails a day with the occasional cold call) covering a wide range of markets.

Are cold calls/emails really a decent reflection of the market?

(I have no idea whether they are or aren't, but I tend to have a heavy distrust of recruiters.)


I agree with your inference. A lot of recruiters are calling about the same position. But there have been more different positions and more calls/emails than usual.

User avatar
Alt123

New
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:36 pm

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby Alt123 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:26 pm

Anyone have recommendations for recruiters that work with new attorneys in the LA area?

Anonymous User

Diamond
Posts: 307161
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:01 pm

can you recommend a legit recruiter for a junior lit assoc. (2 yrs) in the Los Angeles area? I've worked with 3 so far and they have all been shitty.

User avatar
SmokeytheBear

Silver
Posts: 923
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:40 pm

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby SmokeytheBear » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:can you recommend a legit recruiter for a junior lit assoc. (2 yrs) in the Los Angeles area? I've worked with 3 so far and they have all been shitty.


PM me.

Anonymous User

Diamond
Posts: 307161
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:15 am

Know anything about the culture/reputation of Jones Day?

KM2016

Bronze
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:20 am

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby KM2016 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:Know anything about the culture/reputation of Jones Day, Night & Weekend?


FTFY.

User avatar
SmokeytheBear

Silver
Posts: 923
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:40 pm

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby SmokeytheBear » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Know anything about the culture/reputation of Jones Day?


Don't actually know much about them in LA. Actually dont even know anyone who works there, which is surprising for how big of a shop it is.

KM2016

Bronze
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:20 am

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby KM2016 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:01 pm

KM2016 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Know anything about the culture/reputation of Jones Day, Night & Weekend?


FTFY.


On a more serious note, I'd avoid if you can. Associate morale is no bueno. Black box compensation, lack of transparency, sweat shop-ish, etc.

I've known 3 people that have worked there, and all 3 left within 6 months. I'm sure there are better groups than others, and this experience is not universal for everyone, but there are many better options out there in LA.

User avatar
SmokeytheBear

Silver
Posts: 923
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:40 pm

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby SmokeytheBear » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:32 pm

KM2016 wrote:
KM2016 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Know anything about the culture/reputation of Jones Day, Night & Weekend?


FTFY.


On a more serious note, I'd avoid if you can. Associate morale is no bueno. Black box compensation, lack of transparency, sweat shop-ish, etc.

I've known 3 people that have worked there, and all 3 left within 6 months. I'm sure there are better groups than others, and this experience is not universal for everyone, but there are many better options out there in LA.


Like first years who left within six months of starting? Did they lateral? That seems statistically surprising.

KM2016

Bronze
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:20 am

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby KM2016 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:39 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
KM2016 wrote:
KM2016 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Know anything about the culture/reputation of Jones Day, Night & Weekend?


FTFY.


On a more serious note, I'd avoid if you can. Associate morale is no bueno. Black box compensation, lack of transparency, sweat shop-ish, etc.

I've known 3 people that have worked there, and all 3 left within 6 months. I'm sure there are better groups than others, and this experience is not universal for everyone, but there are many better options out there in LA.


Like first years who left within six months of starting? Did they lateral? That seems statistically surprising.


One was a first year, 2 were mid levels that lateraled in and left shortly thereafter.

Anonymous User

Diamond
Posts: 307161
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:03 pm

Thoughts on Sidley, particularly the Commercial Litigation group?

lolwat

Silver
Posts: 1216
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby lolwat » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on Sidley, particularly the Commercial Litigation group?


As co/friendly counsel with some of them on previous cases they seemed nice and competent enough. No idea beyond that.

Anonymous User

Diamond
Posts: 307161
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:12 pm

KM2016 wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
KM2016 wrote:
KM2016 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Know anything about the culture/reputation of Jones Day, Night & Weekend?


FTFY.


On a more serious note, I'd avoid if you can. Associate morale is no bueno. Black box compensation, lack of transparency, sweat shop-ish, etc.

I've known 3 people that have worked there, and all 3 left within 6 months. I'm sure there are better groups than others, and this experience is not universal for everyone, but there are many better options out there in LA.


Like first years who left within six months of starting? Did they lateral? That seems statistically surprising.


One was a first year, 2 were mid levels that lateraled in and left shortly thereafter.


That's too bad, can anyone add to this?

hugerez

New
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:27 pm

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby hugerez » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:16 am

KM2016 wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
KM2016 wrote:
KM2016 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Know anything about the culture/reputation of Jones Day, Night & Weekend?


FTFY.


On a more serious note, I'd avoid if you can. Associate morale is no bueno. Black box compensation, lack of transparency, sweat shop-ish, etc.

I've known 3 people that have worked there, and all 3 left within 6 months. I'm sure there are better groups than others, and this experience is not universal for everyone, but there are many better options out there in LA.


Like first years who left within six months of starting? Did they lateral? That seems statistically surprising.


One was a first year, 2 were mid levels that lateraled in and left shortly thereafter.


was it due to dealing with difficult partners or mostly long hours? i can see the former being more problematic than working hard/long.

KM2016

Bronze
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:20 am

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby KM2016 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:43 am

hugerez wrote:
KM2016 wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
KM2016 wrote:
KM2016 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Know anything about the culture/reputation of Jones Day, Night & Weekend?


FTFY.


On a more serious note, I'd avoid if you can. Associate morale is no bueno. Black box compensation, lack of transparency, sweat shop-ish, etc.

I've known 3 people that have worked there, and all 3 left within 6 months. I'm sure there are better groups than others, and this experience is not universal for everyone, but there are many better options out there in LA.


Like first years who left within six months of starting? Did they lateral? That seems statistically surprising.


One was a first year, 2 were mid levels that lateraled in and left shortly thereafter.


was it due to dealing with difficult partners or mostly long hours? i can see the former being more problematic than working hard/long.


Very much a culture thing for all 3. Each of the people I knew there described along the lines of toxic.

Anonymous User

Diamond
Posts: 307161
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:01 pm

Can anyone speak to the culture at Skadden LA? Is it like NY? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Diamond
Posts: 307161
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:35 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Know anything about Loeb? They seem to do cool entertainment/IPO/related M&A work but obviously not traditional biglaw. Is it worth leaving as a junior at a V50 firm? Or will that close a bunch of doors for eventual in house exits?


Correct, not traditional big law, but a good firm.

My impression from my discussions with people there and around LA is that they do entertainment, but they aren't as big of a player as Latham, OMM, Sheppard Mullin, or even Manatt.

I wouldn't leave your V50 unless you work for someone horrible or are trying to switch groups. PM me if you want to discuss more.


This is a little inaccurate. Loeb is Band 1 entertainment transactional and has a better reputation in the entertainment world than Sheppard or Manatt. A big reason Latham is even in the top tier conversation is because of the OMM group that left.

Loeb doesn't take juniors in their transactional practice. That said I would not worry about closing doors for in-house opportunities. All the major entertainment companies know Loeb.

Anonymous User

Diamond
Posts: 307161
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Know anything about Loeb? They seem to do cool entertainment/IPO/related M&A work but obviously not traditional biglaw. Is it worth leaving as a junior at a V50 firm? Or will that close a bunch of doors for eventual in house exits?


Correct, not traditional big law, but a good firm.

My impression from my discussions with people there and around LA is that they do entertainment, but they aren't as big of a player as Latham, OMM, Sheppard Mullin, or even Manatt.

I wouldn't leave your V50 unless you work for someone horrible or are trying to switch groups. PM me if you want to discuss more.


This is a little inaccurate. Loeb is Band 1 entertainment transactional and has a better reputation in the entertainment world than Sheppard or Manatt. A big reason Latham is even in the top tier conversation is because of the OMM group that left.

Loeb doesn't take juniors in their transactional practice. That said I would not worry about closing doors for in-house opportunities. All the major entertainment companies know Loeb.


I think you're obscuring some important facts here. While Loeb might be Band 1 in entertainment transactional, they are band nothing for entertainment litigation, whereas Sheppard is Band 2/3 for both. I am willing to compromise and say that both Loeb and Sheppard have great reputations in the entertainment world (they have basically the same numbers of attorneys represented on all of the important lists of entertainment power players), but I know for an absolute fact that Loeb does not have a better reputation than Sheppard.

What does it matter that Latham is in the conversation because of the OMM group? All that matters is that they are a player.

Anonymous User

Diamond
Posts: 307161
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:48 pm

Anyone know anything about White & Case? The LA office seems pretty small (less than 40 attorneys).

KM2016

Bronze
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:20 am

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby KM2016 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:31 pm

Anon abuse running RAMPANT.

User avatar
SmokeytheBear

Silver
Posts: 923
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:40 pm

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby SmokeytheBear » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:50 pm

KM2016 wrote:Anon abuse running RAMPANT.


Truth. In LA we show our beautiful tanned and botoxed faces.

User avatar
dasq5511

Bronze
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 3:52 am

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby dasq5511 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:00 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
KM2016 wrote:Anon abuse running RAMPANT.


Truth. In LA we show our beautiful tanned and botoxed faces.


Can't speak for all the anon posting but I've asked about a couple of firms because I had interviews and figured it was safer to ask anon.

User avatar
SmokeytheBear

Silver
Posts: 923
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:40 pm

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby SmokeytheBear » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know anything about White & Case? The LA office seems pretty small (less than 40 attorneys).


I think they were asked about previously on the thread. I don't think we have any intel among us.

KM2016

Bronze
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:20 am

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby KM2016 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:38 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know anything about White & Case? The LA office seems pretty small (less than 40 attorneys).


I think they were asked about previously on the thread. I don't think we have any intel among us.


Can't speak personally to White & Case, but if I remember correctly, when I was going through OCI several years ago the White & Case LA office had around 120 attorneys. I may be mis-remembering, but if that's the case, the fact that it's only 40 attorneys now would be a bit of a red flag for me.

Anonymous User

Diamond
Posts: 307161
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:45 pm

KM2016 wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know anything about White & Case? The LA office seems pretty small (less than 40 attorneys).


I think they were asked about previously on the thread. I don't think we have any intel among us.


Can't speak personally to White & Case, but if I remember correctly, when I was going through OCI several years ago the White & Case LA office had around 120 attorneys. I may be mis-remembering, but if that's the case, the fact that it's only 40 attorneys now would be a bit of a red flag for me.


The bolded isn't correct. Having friends who've worked in that office, it has always had a fairly small footprint in terms of attorney numbers.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.