Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SmokeytheBear

Silver

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:52 pm

bk1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is the market hot right now for junior/mid-level laterals?
It’s an inferno. I’m getting at least five emails a day. LA, Bay, SD and a ton of random shit—Denver, Houston, Dallas, Boston.

Mid level corporate. And I look very good in my firm and linked in profile pics.
Can confirm. I'm getting bombarded on a daily basis (anywhere between four and seven emails a day with the occasional cold call) covering a wide range of markets.
Are cold calls/emails really a decent reflection of the market?

(I have no idea whether they are or aren't, but I tend to have a heavy distrust of recruiters.)
I agree with your inference. A lot of recruiters are calling about the same position. But there have been more different positions and more calls/emails than usual.

Alt123

New

Post by Alt123 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:26 pm

Anyone have recommendations for recruiters that work with new attorneys in the LA area?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:01 pm

can you recommend a legit recruiter for a junior lit assoc. (2 yrs) in the Los Angeles area? I've worked with 3 so far and they have all been shitty.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:can you recommend a legit recruiter for a junior lit assoc. (2 yrs) in the Los Angeles area? I've worked with 3 so far and they have all been shitty.
PM me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:15 am

Know anything about the culture/reputation of Jones Day?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KM2016

Bronze

Post by KM2016 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:Know anything about the culture/reputation of Jones Day, Night & Weekend?
FTFY.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Know anything about the culture/reputation of Jones Day?
Don't actually know much about them in LA. Actually dont even know anyone who works there, which is surprising for how big of a shop it is.

KM2016

Bronze

Post by KM2016 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:01 pm

KM2016 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Know anything about the culture/reputation of Jones Day, Night & Weekend?
FTFY.
On a more serious note, I'd avoid if you can. Associate morale is no bueno. Black box compensation, lack of transparency, sweat shop-ish, etc.

I've known 3 people that have worked there, and all 3 left within 6 months. I'm sure there are better groups than others, and this experience is not universal for everyone, but there are many better options out there in LA.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:32 pm

KM2016 wrote:
KM2016 wrote:
FTFY.
On a more serious note, I'd avoid if you can. Associate morale is no bueno. Black box compensation, lack of transparency, sweat shop-ish, etc.

I've known 3 people that have worked there, and all 3 left within 6 months. I'm sure there are better groups than others, and this experience is not universal for everyone, but there are many better options out there in LA.
Like first years who left within six months of starting? Did they lateral? That seems statistically surprising.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KM2016

Bronze

Post by KM2016 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:39 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
KM2016 wrote:
KM2016 wrote:
FTFY.

Like first years who left within six months of starting? Did they lateral? That seems statistically surprising.
One was a first year, 2 were mid levels that lateraled in and left shortly thereafter.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:03 pm

Thoughts on Sidley, particularly the Commercial Litigation group?

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on Sidley, particularly the Commercial Litigation group?
As co/friendly counsel with some of them on previous cases they seemed nice and competent enough. No idea beyond that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:12 pm

KM2016 wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
KM2016 wrote:
KM2016 wrote:
FTFY.

One was a first year, 2 were mid levels that lateraled in and left shortly thereafter.
That's too bad, can anyone add to this?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hugerez

New

Post by hugerez » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:16 am

KM2016 wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
KM2016 wrote:
KM2016 wrote:
FTFY.

was it due to dealing with difficult partners or mostly long hours? i can see the former being more problematic than working hard/long.

KM2016

Bronze

Post by KM2016 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:43 am

hugerez wrote:
KM2016 wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
KM2016 wrote:
KM2016 wrote:
FTFY.

was it due to dealing with difficult partners or mostly long hours? i can see the former being more problematic than working hard/long.
Very much a culture thing for all 3. Each of the people I knew there described along the lines of toxic.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:01 pm

Can anyone speak to the culture at Skadden LA? Is it like NY? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:35 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Know anything about Loeb? They seem to do cool entertainment/IPO/related M&A work but obviously not traditional biglaw. Is it worth leaving as a junior at a V50 firm? Or will that close a bunch of doors for eventual in house exits?
Correct, not traditional big law, but a good firm.

My impression from my discussions with people there and around LA is that they do entertainment, but they aren't as big of a player as Latham, OMM, Sheppard Mullin, or even Manatt.

I wouldn't leave your V50 unless you work for someone horrible or are trying to switch groups. PM me if you want to discuss more.
This is a little inaccurate. Loeb is Band 1 entertainment transactional and has a better reputation in the entertainment world than Sheppard or Manatt. A big reason Latham is even in the top tier conversation is because of the OMM group that left.

Loeb doesn't take juniors in their transactional practice. That said I would not worry about closing doors for in-house opportunities. All the major entertainment companies know Loeb.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Know anything about Loeb? They seem to do cool entertainment/IPO/related M&A work but obviously not traditional biglaw. Is it worth leaving as a junior at a V50 firm? Or will that close a bunch of doors for eventual in house exits?
Correct, not traditional big law, but a good firm.

My impression from my discussions with people there and around LA is that they do entertainment, but they aren't as big of a player as Latham, OMM, Sheppard Mullin, or even Manatt.

I wouldn't leave your V50 unless you work for someone horrible or are trying to switch groups. PM me if you want to discuss more.
This is a little inaccurate. Loeb is Band 1 entertainment transactional and has a better reputation in the entertainment world than Sheppard or Manatt. A big reason Latham is even in the top tier conversation is because of the OMM group that left.

Loeb doesn't take juniors in their transactional practice. That said I would not worry about closing doors for in-house opportunities. All the major entertainment companies know Loeb.
I think you're obscuring some important facts here. While Loeb might be Band 1 in entertainment transactional, they are band nothing for entertainment litigation, whereas Sheppard is Band 2/3 for both. I am willing to compromise and say that both Loeb and Sheppard have great reputations in the entertainment world (they have basically the same numbers of attorneys represented on all of the important lists of entertainment power players), but I know for an absolute fact that Loeb does not have a better reputation than Sheppard.

What does it matter that Latham is in the conversation because of the OMM group? All that matters is that they are a player.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:48 pm

Anyone know anything about White & Case? The LA office seems pretty small (less than 40 attorneys).

KM2016

Bronze

Post by KM2016 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:31 pm

Anon abuse running RAMPANT.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:50 pm

KM2016 wrote:Anon abuse running RAMPANT.
Truth. In LA we show our beautiful tanned and botoxed faces.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dasq5511

Bronze

Post by dasq5511 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:00 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
KM2016 wrote:Anon abuse running RAMPANT.
Truth. In LA we show our beautiful tanned and botoxed faces.
Can't speak for all the anon posting but I've asked about a couple of firms because I had interviews and figured it was safer to ask anon.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know anything about White & Case? The LA office seems pretty small (less than 40 attorneys).
I think they were asked about previously on the thread. I don't think we have any intel among us.

KM2016

Bronze

Post by KM2016 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:38 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know anything about White & Case? The LA office seems pretty small (less than 40 attorneys).
I think they were asked about previously on the thread. I don't think we have any intel among us.
Can't speak personally to White & Case, but if I remember correctly, when I was going through OCI several years ago the White & Case LA office had around 120 attorneys. I may be mis-remembering, but if that's the case, the fact that it's only 40 attorneys now would be a bit of a red flag for me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:45 pm

KM2016 wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Can't speak personally to White & Case, but if I remember correctly, when I was going through OCI several years ago the White & Case LA office had around 120 attorneys. I may be mis-remembering, but if that's the case, the fact that it's only 40 attorneys now would be a bit of a red flag for me.
The bolded isn't correct. Having friends who've worked in that office, it has always had a fairly small footprint in terms of attorney numbers.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”