Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:14 pm

For what it's worth, I work at a Vault firm in LA (but not one of the "top" firms) and our OCI list is:

Harvard
Stanford
Berkeley
USC
UCLA

We'll hire from other schools as well (and you are pretty much guaranteed a CB if you go to YLS and have a halfway compelling reason you want to be in LA), but we don't do OCI there.

KM2016

Bronze

Post by KM2016 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For what it's worth, I work at a Vault firm in LA (but not one of the "top" firms) and our OCI list is:

Harvard
Stanford
Berkeley
USC
UCLA

We'll hire from other schools as well (and you are pretty much guaranteed a CB if you go to YLS and have a halfway compelling reason you want to be in LA), but we don't do OCI there.
Wow that's pretty limited. How big is your firm's summer class?

My firm does OCI for just the LA office at Harvard, Stanford, Georgetown, Berkeley, Michigan, NYU, Columbia, Penn, USC, UCLA, Loyola, UCI, and maybe a couple more that I can't think of.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:07 pm

KM2016 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For what it's worth, I work at a Vault firm in LA (but not one of the "top" firms) and our OCI list is:

Harvard
Stanford
Berkeley
USC
UCLA

My firm does OCI for just the LA office at Harvard, Stanford, Georgetown, Berkeley, Michigan, NYU, Columbia, Penn, USC, UCLA, Loyola, UCI, and maybe a couple more that I can't think of.
Same, minus Loyola and Penn.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:18 pm

KM2016 wrote:

Harvard
Stanford
Berkeley
USC
UCLA

Typically 3-6 summers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:30 pm

Landed LA without much ties either. I had an SO from LA at the time of 1L SA interviews and OCI, but we had not been together long. However, my entire experience was from the east coast. I did 1L SA interviews and I cannot stress how much the callbacks changed after spending my 1L summer in LA. During my 1L SA interviews, I was grilled about ties. A partner literally told me that he was not convinced that I wanted to stay in LA. I did not land a 1L SA but decided to do PI in LA during 1L summer. During my OCI interviews, ties were barely even mentioned and for the firms that mentioned it, they did not really press about it. So if you if really want LA and have no ties, I would recommend spending your 1L summer here.

However, I would caution that this probably did hurt me in NYC a bit but I landed callbacks with some firms that have a larger class size. You really have to know how to bid coming from an east coast school. At my NYC school, the LA firms rarely filled up within the top 10, so you do not need to waste many high bids on LA firms. Some LA firms do not fill up at all and can be picked up in the add/drop. I used my higher bids to pick up large NYC firms and interviewed with them as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Landed LA without much ties either. I had an SO from LA at the time of 1L SA interviews and OCI, but we had not been together long. However, my entire experience was from the east coast. I did 1L SA interviews and I cannot stress how much the callbacks changed after spending my 1L summer in LA. During my 1L SA interviews, I was grilled about ties. A partner literally told me that he was not convinced that I wanted to stay in LA. I did not land a 1L SA but decided to do PI in LA during 1L summer. During my OCI interviews, ties were barely even mentioned and for the firms that mentioned it, they did not really press about it. So if you if really want LA and have no ties, I would recommend spending your 1L summer here.

However, I would caution that this probably did hurt me in NYC a bit but I landed callbacks with some firms that have a larger class size. You really have to know how to bid coming from an east coast school. At my NYC school, the LA firms rarely filled up within the top 10, so you do not need to waste many high bids on LA firms. Some LA firms do not fill up at all and can be picked up in the add/drop. I used my higher bids to pick up large NYC firms and interviewed with them as well.
This is good intel.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:54 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I think the post above is referring to firm benefits (healthcare, paid meals, paid transportation, etc.)
I've worked at two of the top firms in LA.

Working meals: Firm A paid $30 if billing over 10 hours on weekday, 5 hours on weekend. Firm B pays $30 if work past 8 on weekday, or at all on weekend; no one really checks the time or your hours at Firm B, so you just have to be smart about it.

Healthcare: Both firms have options for blue cross, kaiser, and various dental and vision. Both ended up being around $300-$400 a month for decent plans with low deductibles. Could have gone cheaper if I wanted.

Paid transportation: parking was paid at both firms. During the summer at both firms you could expense ubers to or from events.

Everything else is a national issue which you can find in the thread on firm benefits.
Do summer associates get parking passes? If you have particular insight, I'm asking about the Wells Fargo center downtown (Gibson/Latham/Munger/Morgan Lewis/Reed Smith). Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Do summer associates get parking passes? If you have particular insight, I'm asking about the Wells Fargo center downtown (Gibson/Latham/Munger/Morgan Lewis/Reed Smith). Thanks!
Summered (and am now a second-year) at one of the above. Got a parking pass. This is LA; I'd consider it a little barbaric not to.
SmokeytheBear wrote: I've worked at two of the top firms in LA.

Working meals: Firm A paid $30 if billing over 10 hours on weekday, 5 hours on weekend. Firm B pays $30 if work past 8 on weekday, or at all on weekend; no one really checks the time or your hours at Firm B, so you just have to be smart about it.

Healthcare: Both firms have options for blue cross, kaiser, and various dental and vision. Both ended up being around $300-$400 a month for decent plans with low deductibles. Could have gone cheaper if I wanted.

Paid transportation: parking was paid at both firms. During the summer at both firms you could expense ubers to or from events.

Everything else is a national issue which you can find in the thread on firm benefits.
Jives with my experience except on meals; firm doesn't pay for them at all, but the place is a ghost town after 6pm (though that is changing as we keep hiring laterals from east coast shops, who bring along that type of after-hours facetime expectation... ugh)

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I think the post above is referring to firm benefits (healthcare, paid meals, paid transportation, etc.)
I've worked at two of the top firms in LA.

Do summer associates get parking passes? If you have particular insight, I'm asking about the Wells Fargo center downtown (Gibson/Latham/Munger/Morgan Lewis/Reed Smith). Thanks!
Yes for summers. I heard a few years ago that Latham charged associates for passes, but not sure if that's still the case or even was the case.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

classis920

New

Post by classis920 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:09 pm

Hi everybody, there's so much good stuff on this thread. I'd appreciate any insight.
I'm a 1L at H looking at summer jobs. I've been told to keep options open but my preference for this summer is 1L SA>in house>PI in LA or OC, have solid ties to both areas. For those of you at firms that hire 1L's in these areas, do you have any idea what the grade cutoff might be? Median at the end of 1L year is apparently 3-4 H's FWIW. Also interested in what cutoffs at OCI would be for 2L summer, since I really want to end up in LA after school. Career advisers here tend to emphasize NYC, which I want to avoid, and after reading some things here about how east coast schools don't place as well in LA, I'm getting a little nervous. Thanks.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:24 pm

I don't know about grade cutoffs, but I don't think 1L SAs are terribly common.
You do have lots of other options though to boost your chances later. I mean you could probably do a summer judicial externship or something in C.D.Cal as a 1L and that would probably help you get a 2L SA here.
Having ties helps tons. Especially in OC. I think OC people really love when applicants have ties to OC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:13 pm

classis920 wrote:Hi everybody, there's so much good stuff on this thread. I'd appreciate any insight.
I'm a 1L at H looking at summer jobs. I've been told to keep options open but my preference for this summer is 1L SA>in house>PI in LA or OC, have solid ties to both areas. For those of you at firms that hire 1L's in these areas, do you have any idea what the grade cutoff might be? Median at the end of 1L year is apparently 3-4 H's FWIW. Also interested in what cutoffs at OCI would be for 2L summer, since I really want to end up in LA after school. Career advisers here tend to emphasize NYC, which I want to avoid, and after reading some things here about how east coast schools don't place as well in LA, I'm getting a little nervous. Thanks.
Don't bank on a 1L SA position in LA/OC. There are probably less than 10 of those in those markets. Also, there's no formal grade cutoff. Apply broadly (AKA to every firm that has historically hired a 1L SA, per NALP) and hope for the best. Good luck.

-Former 1L SA

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:49 pm

Poster from firm that hires at HLS/SLS/USC/UCLA/Boalt. We don't hire 1Ls and neither do most firms in LA. 3/4 H's will not outright disqualify you from any firm in LA except Munger (and elite boutiques like Susman/HH), although it might be an uphill battle to get hired at GDC or Irell unless you're otherwise an exceptional candidate. There are plenty of firms in LA that will hire a candidate with straight Ps from HLS if the fit is right.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:18 am

Munger's 1L program is diversity only.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:52 pm

classis920 wrote:Hi everybody, there's so much good stuff on this thread. I'd appreciate any insight.
You should be fine at the garden variety offices in LA, but try to get those grades up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:32 pm

Anyone know anything about JT Legal Group in Glendale? Seems they mainly do PI, PD, Foreclosure defense, and probate stuff.

Necho2

Bronze

Post by Necho2 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:28 am

Is it too early to be thinking about sublets/apartments for SAs? My assumption was that LA's a massive rental market, so it wouldn't be hard to find something, but if I'm working in the standard DTLA area (where a ton of the firms are walking distance from the Red line), anyone have recommendations about neighborhoods that are feasible to take the subway from?

Would prefer not to drive and park all summer if at all possible, but also want to live somewhere that I might want to live in for the longer-term in the future.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Re: UCLA/USC/UCI OCI Stuff -- Free Advice

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any idea about reputation of Venable in LA?
Also interested in any info on Venable

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:37 pm

Necho2 wrote:Is it too early to be thinking about sublets/apartments for SAs? My assumption was that LA's a massive rental market, so it wouldn't be hard to find something, but if I'm working in the standard DTLA area (where a ton of the firms are walking distance from the Red line), anyone have recommendations about neighborhoods that are feasible to take the subway from?

Would prefer not to drive and park all summer if at all possible, but also want to live somewhere that I might want to live in for the longer-term in the future.
It's a massive rental market, but there are sub-markets that are tighter than others due to high demand and dwindling supply. It is very, very early to start thinking about it (though I believe there is a thread somewhere on TLS for summer housing swap).

I've definitely known plenty of summers who didn't have cars and simply relied on subway and uber/lyft. Unfortunately, the subway doesnt go to too many places most people who work in big law would want to live. K-town, maybe? The redline also gets you to North Hollywood, which has kind of a interesting thing going these days. Alternatively you could live anywhere from Santa Monica through West LA, Culver City, and into Mid City and West Adams and take the Expo Line, though that's a bit longer of a commute.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:12 pm

Received all Ps at Stanford (1L fall), strong LA ties, LGBTQ (if that matters), strong summer externship lined up. Any idea what sort of grades I need to get for my next two quarters to have a shot at the mid/top tier biglaw firms in LA?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:02 pm

Is the market hot right now for junior/mid-level laterals?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is the market hot right now for junior/mid-level laterals?
It’s an inferno. I’m getting at least five emails a day. LA, Bay, SD and a ton of random shit—Denver, Houston, Dallas, Boston.

Mid level corporate. And I look very good in my firm and linked in profile pics.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:37 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
It’s an inferno. I’m getting at least five emails a day. LA, Bay, SD and a ton of random shit—Denver, Houston, Dallas, Boston.

Mid level corporate. And I look very good in my firm and linked in profile pics.
Can confirm. I'm getting bombarded on a daily basis (anywhere between four and seven emails a day with the occasional cold call) covering a wide range of markets.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:

Can confirm. I'm getting bombarded on a daily basis (anywhere between four and seven emails a day with the occasional cold call) covering a wide range of markets.
Are cold calls/emails really a decent reflection of the market?

(I have no idea whether they are or aren't, but I tend to have a heavy distrust of recruiters.)

weaselbee

New

Post by weaselbee » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:

Are you also confirming that Smokey looks good in his firm and linkedin profile pictures?
Asking for a friend.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”