Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Los Angeles Market Associates Taking Questions

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:54 am

Can anybody tell me anything about APKS?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:11 pm

Anyone know of good areas to live with a decent commute to the Century City area?
Would be looking at renting an apartment for a while before doing anything else.
Really looking more for quiet, safe, etc. places with reasonable access to groceries and food and stuff.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know of good areas to live with a decent commute to the Century City area?
Would be looking at renting an apartment for a while before doing anything else.
Really looking more for quiet, safe, etc. places with reasonable access to groceries and food and stuff.
The whole west side is your oyster.

Culver City is the closest with full on everything you asked for at 15 minutes away. Westwood, too, but pricier. Brentwood is a bit farther away, but still within 20 minutes. Then you also have Santa Monica and Venice which are about 25 minutes depending on the route you take.

Person1111

Bronze

Post by Person1111 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:17 pm

The nicer parts of Pico-Robertson are also a good choice, depending on how close you want to be to other young people/a bar scene. I wouldn't live in Venice - not because it's not nice/fun, but because the commute is significantly longer than from the other places Smokey mentioned.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:23 pm

hlsperson1111 wrote:The nicer parts of Pico-Robertson are also a good choice, depending on how close you want to be to other young people/a bar scene. I wouldn't live in Venice - not because it's not nice/fun, but because the commute is significantly longer than from the other places Smokey mentioned.
Chiming in. I live in Venice and used to live in Santa Monica. It's actually only about 25 minutes from Venice, whereas it was almost 30 minutes from Santa Monica. Surface streets that far west require a bit of a dance.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:29 pm

You can also live in actual century city/around the border. Westside Villas is a good choice

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You can also live in actual century city/around the border. Westside Villas is a good choice
100%. I would only argue, though, that Century City is among the more sterile settings for living in LA. Sure, the mall is looking cooler and cooler as new shit opens, but it's still just a mall . . . and all Century City has to offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:57 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:You can also live in actual century city/around the border. Westside Villas is a good choice
100%. I would only argue, though, that Century City is among the more sterile settings for living in LA. Sure, the mall is looking cooler and cooler as new shit opens, but it's still just a mall . . . and all Century City has to offer.
To be fair though, CC is tiny. It'll take him 1 min to get to work, 3 mins to get to bev hills, 20 mins to SM. He'll def have to kiss Silvelake/DTLA/east side good bye, but tbh I'd prefer CC over Culver. Some parts of Culver are still un-gentrified and a bit grimey. It's up-and-coming, though. I guess it depends on what OP prefers

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:02 pm

Can you walk to work if you live in CC? I know that this is a big perk of living in DTLA for folks who have offices down there, but I recall that a lot of the big surface streets in CC are difficult to traverse by foot.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know of good areas to live with a decent commute to the Century City area?
Same question for DTLA. Looking for nice suburban places that are good for young families. Easy commute if possible.

Thanks!

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can you walk to work if you live in CC? I know that this is a big perk of living in DTLA for folks who have offices down there, but I recall that a lot of the big surface streets in CC are difficult to traverse by foot.
Streets here are walkable.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
To be fair though, CC is tiny. It'll take him 1 min to get to work, 3 mins to get to bev hills, 20 mins to SM. He'll def have to kiss Silvelake/DTLA/east side good bye, but tbh I'd prefer CC over Culver. Some parts of Culver are still un-gentrified and a bit grimey. It's up-and-coming, though. I guess it depends on what OP prefers
Def depends on what OP wants, but just want to offer some clarification here. Sure, there are some parts of Culver City that haven't been overtaken by yuppies and gentrified, but that's mostly along La Cienga and the other areas that are, just, well, STILL INDUSTRIAL BECAUSE THEY ARE INDUSTRIAL. Otherwise I'm not sure how one could think of Culver City as "up and coming." It up and came about 10 years ago. Downtown culver city and everything around it is pretty nice. The only parts of culver city that are dumpy are around jefferson and closer to the 90.

Person1111

Bronze

Post by Person1111 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Same question for DTLA. Looking for nice suburban places that are good for young families. Easy commute if possible.

Thanks!
Los Feliz is great, especially in the more residential parts just east of Hillhurst. The more suburban parts of Silver Lake could also work. Pasadena/Glendale are suburban and very family-friendly and are a reasonable commute to downtown. Atwater Village, Mt. Washington, Highland Park, etc. are also good up-and-coming neighborhoods although still a bit grimy. I'd avoid the westside.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Person1111

Bronze

Post by Person1111 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:12 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Def depends on what OP wants, but just want to offer some clarification here. Sure, there are some parts of Culver City that haven't been overtaken by yuppies and gentrified, but that's mostly along La Cienga and the other areas that are, just, well, STILL INDUSTRIAL BECAUSE THEY ARE INDUSTRIAL. Otherwise I'm not sure how one could think of Culver City as "up and coming." It up and came about 10 years ago. Downtown culver city and everything around it is pretty nice. The only parts of culver city that are dumpy are around jefferson and closer to the 90.
This is 100% correct. It's very obvious which parts of Culver City are nice and which are not.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:19 pm

hlsperson1111 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks!
Los Feliz is great, especially in the more residential parts just east of Hillhurst. The more suburban parts of Silver Lake could also work. Pasadena/Glendale are suburban and very family-friendly and are a reasonable commute to downtown. Atwater Village, Mt. Washington, Highland Park, etc. are also good up-and-coming neighborhoods although still a bit grimy. I'd avoid the westside.
I would also avoid the westside due to commute.

Also, DTLA has decent lightrail and train service into the San Fernando and San Gabriel Valleys. There were tons of staff at my old firm who took the train in (which required a connection at UNion Station) and loved it. This opens up TONS of possibilities if you're willing to take public transport.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:25 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
hlsperson1111 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks!

Also, DTLA has decent lightrail and train service into the San Fernando and San Gabriel Valleys. There were tons of staff at my old firm who took the train in (which required a connection at UNion Station) and loved it. This opens up TONS of possibilities if you're willing to take public transport.
Definitely willing to take public transport. Only concern is how much it cuts into the workday (same concern for driving obviously). Is the lightrail pretty reliable?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:29 pm

OP here that asked about CC. Thanks everyone for the answers--huge and quick response by a bunch of peeps! I actually thought it would be more difficult to find the kind of places with my needs but it appears not. :) I'll definitely check out at least CC, Westwood, and Culver City for sure and go from there. The optimal living condition would be an extremely safe and quiet area for living (gated community would be a pretty big +++ but that's hard to find for apartments), while also being within like a 20-30 minute commute to work & also within 20 minute commute to life. Are there any particularly good ways to find apartments other than starting with Google?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:32 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
hlsperson1111 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks!

I wouldn't recommend public transport in LA at all. Buses are terrible/always late and traffic is even worse. No train will take you directly to CC. You'd have to take a bus, which is unreliable. Perhaps when the purple line opens in 2023, but not before then.

Also, to OP: google westside rentals. you have to pay for an account, but it's worth it.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here that asked about CC. Thanks everyone for the answers--huge and quick response by a bunch of peeps! I actually thought it would be more difficult to find the kind of places with my needs but it appears not. :) I'll definitely check out at least CC, Westwood, and Culver City for sure and go from there. The optimal living condition would be an extremely safe and quiet area for living (gated community would be a pretty big +++ but that's hard to find for apartments), while also being within like a 20-30 minute commute to work & also within 20 minute commute to life. Are there any particularly good ways to find apartments other than starting with Google?
Westside Rentals (which covers all of SoCal) and Craigslist are the main resources.

Century Cited has some gated areas. Brentwood has many secure apartment bulidings. You're going to have to narrow down your search area a lot, as there are tons of options within 20-30 minutes.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
hlsperson1111 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks!

I wouldn't recommend public transport in LA at all. Buses are terrible/always late and traffic is even worse. No train will take you directly to CC. You'd have to take a bus, which is unreliable. Perhaps when the purple line opens in 2023, but not before then.

Also, to OP: google westside rentals. you have to pay for an account, but it's worth it.
This question was about DTLA and the response regarding public transport was for DTLA. No train will take you directly to CC, but many trains will take you to DTLA>

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:39 pm

ops nvm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:40 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
hlsperson1111 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks!

This question was about DTLA and the response regarding public transport was for DTLA. No train will take you directly to CC, but many trains will take you to DTLA>
My bad, I got OPs confused.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:41 pm

No, sorry I hijacked the thread to an extent. The OP was asking about CC, I was asking about DTLA. Smokey is right, the public transit questions was for DTLA. Sorry for the confusion.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:42 pm

Thanks again Smokey (and the other anons). Better to have options & have to narrow down than having no options. I'll get on it soon...

And yeah, there was another anon who asked about DTLA--sorry if things got confused between CC and DTLA. :D

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks again Smokey (and the other anons). Better to have options & have to narrow down than having no options. I'll get on it soon...

And yeah, there was another anon who asked about DTLA--sorry if things got confused between CC and DTLA. :D
You're welcome. From what you have described (nice, safe, clean, quiet with many amenities in walking distance) I think you're going to find yourself considering Brentwood. Culver City is super duper nice, but it's not quite as squeaky clean as Brentwood. Beverly Hills is obviously very nice and there are areas that are not crazy expensive.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”