If you won't be ready to move for at least another six months , downside to chatting with a recruiter ?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

If you won't be ready to move for at least another six months , downside to chatting with a recruiter ?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:49 pm

Occasionally I see some interesting opportunities in the recruiting spam. Any downside to reaching out to find out more?

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Re: If you won't be ready to move for at least another six months , downside to chatting with a recruiter ?

Postby SmokeytheBear » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:56 pm

No downside. Start the rapport. And start figuring out which recruiters you want to work with and which you don't. Some are hacks, but some are genuinely there to help you find what you want.

Also, the lateraling process can take longer than you would expect -- several months. So good to get started now.

Anonymous User

Re: If you won't be ready to move for at least another six months , downside to chatting with a recruiter ?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:40 pm

Lateraling firms can definitely take longer than you think. It took almost a month for me to clear conflicts after accepting an offer.

Also, if you're talking an in-house move, it seems to take wayyy longer. Currently dealing with that now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:41 pm

Any tips on separating the hacks from the non hacks ?

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Postby SmokeytheBear » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any tips on separating the hacks from the non hacks ?

Take them up on their offer to have a conversation and just talk with them. You'll be able to tell quickly enough.

Which market are you looking at going to? We might be able to help you with which are good/bad depending on the market.

lolwat

Silver

Postby lolwat » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:23 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:

Take them up on their offer to have a conversation and just talk with them. You'll be able to tell quickly enough.

Which market are you looking at going to? We might be able to help you with which are good/bad depending on the market.

Not OP, but I'd be interested in this info for SoCal, which I believe is the market you're also in...?

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:24 pm

lolwat wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:

Not OP, but I'd be interested in this info for SoCal, which I believe is the market you're also in...?

+1. Or, specifically LA. I've talked to a few and you're right, you can get a decent vibe from a simple phone call but I'd like to know if any are good or avoid at all costs.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Postby SmokeytheBear » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:31 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
lolwat wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:

+1. Or, specifically LA. I've talked to a few and you're right, you can get a decent vibe from a simple phone call but I'd like to know if any are good or avoid at all costs.

I had a good experience and really liked:

Priya Gulati, Esq.
Senior Recruiter | Pacific Legal Search
1875 Century Park East, Suite 700
Los Angeles, CA 90067
(408) 666-7314

Some guy named JP I thought wasn't that great. His emails have been deleted, so I can't find his info.

I also get TONS of emails form Wegman Partners. I worked with Lindsay Stengle there--thought she was good.

I generally liked the non-massive recruiter firm feel, which is why I like Priya.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:46 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:

Dc. This is op

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:33 pm

I am currently in Dallas and am interested in lateraling to NYC in approximately ~6 months. licensed in TX but not NY. how does lateralling IN to the NY market work (usually people are leaving the NY market) anyone know any good names? am i crazy for wanting to go from TX to NY? (i want to experience living a more urban city.. figure i can always move back to TX since i was raised here)

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Postby SmokeytheBear » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am currently in Dallas and am interested in lateraling to NYC in approximately ~6 months. licensed in TX but not NY. how does lateralling IN to the NY market work (usually people are leaving the NY market) anyone know any good names? am i crazy for wanting to go from TX to NY? (i want to experience living a more urban city.. figure i can always move back to TX since i was raised here)

Bold move.

lolwat

Silver

Postby lolwat » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:25 pm

Thanks for the info smokey!

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Postby SmokeytheBear » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:33 pm

lolwat wrote:Thanks for the info smokey!

Always happy to give some no bull shit advice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:09 pm

More SoCal info--I don't recommend BCG Attorney Search at all. One of them (think her name was Lisa) cold called me and left a voicemail about an opportunity. When I called her back, she had no idea who I was and asked to call me back after she "looked me up." I told her about the niche transactional practice I'm looking for and she offered up two "openings," one at a firm that only does litigation in LA, and the other was for an opening that was filled months ago (I know because it was pulled right when I was ready to start applying). I tell her that, expressing surprise about these "openings" and ask her to tell me more about them...she literally can't tell me a single thing. Then she says, oh, send us your resume anyway.

No chance in hell am I giving you my resume when our interaction only leads me to conclude that you are making up job openings to fish for resumes.

Agree with what's been said above though. It's pretty clear immediately which ones are knowledgeable about the legal market in your city and can distinguish between different practices when you tell them what you're looking for. Or, you know, are at least conversant about the "job openings" they want you to apply to. Because that's pretty easy to do WHEN THEY ACTUALLY EXIST.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:More SoCal info--I don't recommend BCG Attorney Search at all. One of them (think her name was Lisa) cold called me and left a voicemail about an opportunity. When I called her back, she had no idea who I was and asked to call me back after she "looked me up." I told her about the niche transactional practice I'm looking for and she offered up two "openings," one at a firm that only does litigation in LA, and the other was for an opening that was filled months ago (I know because it was pulled right when I was ready to start applying). I tell her that, expressing surprise about these "openings" and ask her to tell me more about them...she literally can't tell me a single thing. Then she says, oh, send us your resume anyway.

No chance in hell am I giving you my resume when our interaction only leads me to conclude that you are making up job openings to fish for resumes.

Agree with what's been said above though. It's pretty clear immediately which ones are knowledgeable about the legal market in your city and can distinguish between different practices when you tell them what you're looking for. Or, you know, are at least conversant about the "job openings" they want you to apply to. Because that's pretty easy to do WHEN THEY ACTUALLY EXIST.

I appreciate no bullshit recruiters. It's not super hot in LA right now, so the ones that lie and make it sound like there are positions and the ones who will tell you straight up it's not great out there, but they'll put feelers out are in stark contrast.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Postby SmokeytheBear » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:28 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:More SoCal info--I don't recommend BCG Attorney Search at all. One of them (think her name was Lisa) cold called me and left a voicemail about an opportunity. When I called her back, she had no idea who I was and asked to call me back after she "looked me up." I told her about the niche transactional practice I'm looking for and she offered up two "openings," one at a firm that only does litigation in LA, and the other was for an opening that was filled months ago (I know because it was pulled right when I was ready to start applying). I tell her that, expressing surprise about these "openings" and ask her to tell me more about them...she literally can't tell me a single thing. Then she says, oh, send us your resume anyway.

I appreciate no bullshit recruiters. It's not super hot in LA right now, so the ones that lie and make it sound like there are positions and the ones who will tell you straight up it's not great out there, but they'll put feelers out are in stark contrast.

Yeah, it's super en fuego here right now. It's kind of nice, actually. Lots of good options out there, especially as a midlevel.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:42 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:

Yeah, it's super en fuego here right now. It's kind of nice, actually. Lots of good options out there, especially as a midlevel.

Maybe you've seen different stuff, but it's not great for corporate juniors, especially if you don't want to do finance.

Return to “Legal Employment�