Best environment to work in as an introverted lawyer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lolwat

Re: Best environment to work in as an introverted lawyer?

Postby lolwat » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:13 pm

Appellate for state government is pretty chill. Lots of cases don't go to oral argument (pretty sure that even in a firm you're not going to oral arguments very frequently) and you don't have a client to deal with (or, frankly, much to do with trial counsel).

I totally forgot about that! I think oral argument depends on jurisdiction -- all state appeals in CA go to oral argument unless I'm totally missing something. And yeah, in a firm you're probably not because a partner probably is, but still. :)

elendinel

Postby elendinel » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:36 am

Bluem_11 wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:If you have the background for patent pros, you can easily spend 95% of the day in your office with the door closed.

Or 100% working remotely once you get some experience.

Heavily dependent on the firm/clients, though. I was at two firms with significant unspoken social requirements if you wanted people to give you work/I ended up with a lot of needy clients who wanted you to call them about almost every decision that could possibly be made about their portfolio.

abogadesq

Postby abogadesq » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:41 pm

Definitely appeals. When I was a trial attorney, I took me weeks before I realized we had an appellate division. The appellate attorneys never left their offices or socialized.

Alternatively, try Attorney Advisor positions with the federal government. Not all of them are in appeals, though the work is substantially similar (i.e. doc review and drafting).

Return to “Legal Employment”