Callback to Offer Chances Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonnonnon

Bronze

Callback to Offer Chances

Post by Anonnonnon » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:05 am

Hello all,

I was wondering whether TLS had any anecdotal or hard stats on how often callbacks turn into offers? Does the ratio change if your callback is pre-OCI?

There was a thread posted two years ago on the subject, but I'm looking to see if anyone here has any additional info or anecdotes they'd be able to add? I know sometimes it can be hard to tell, because people will withdraw their names from other firms after they get an offer they're happy with.

PotatoSalad

New

Re: Callback to Offer Chances

Post by PotatoSalad » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:16 am

See NALP's data:

http://www.nalp.org/uploads/Perspective ... gFinal.pdf

In pertinent part:

Fall Recruiting of 2L's, % of Interviews resulting in an offer in 2015: 53.8%.

That's pretty broad. Obviously students from top schools with top grades skew it upwards, but at the same time those students tend to compete among one another.

From personal anecdotal stories it seems like 50% is about right.

Edit: I realize you also asked about pre-OCI. I would say your chances may be higher there at a conversion into an offer since I suspect firms are mostly moving on top candidates.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:23 am

PotatoSalad wrote:See NALP's data:

In pertinent part:

That's pretty broad. Obviously students from top schools with top grades skew it upwards, but at the same time those students tend to compete among one another.

Edit: I realize you also asked about pre-OCI. I would say your chances may be higher there at a conversion into an offer since I suspect firms are mostly moving on top candidates.
I'm assuming those NALP stats, when referring to "interviews," are referring to callbacks and not screeners?

SowhatsNU

Bronze

Post by SowhatsNU » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:31 am

I think any info you're going to get here is purely anecdotal, because everyone's situation is different based on school, grades, qualifications and interpersonal skills. (I'm sorry if that isn't helpful)

I can say, however, that pre-OCI callbacks (at least at my firm) have a higher offer rate (not sure how much though).

My only advice (if you were looking for it), is to focus more on trying to foster a friendly relationship with your interviewers on your callback- treat it as if you were out to coffee with a colleague from work who you recently met- you wouldn't list your qualifications, or why you're a perfect fit, you'd focus on maintaining a smooth and friendly flow of conversation- I think you should do the same here.

If you've gotten the callback, you're already qualified, and (absent some strange circumstances) you won't be quizzed on any law. You might be asked "why us", but I assume you've already done that research.

Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:38 am

SowhatsNU wrote:I think any info you're going to get here is purely anecdotal, because everyone's situation is different based on school, grades, qualifications and interpersonal skills. (I'm sorry if that isn't helpful)

I can say, however, that pre-OCI callbacks (at least at my firm) have a higher offer rate (not sure how much though).

My only advice (if you were looking for it), is to focus more on trying to foster a friendly relationship with your interviewers on your callback- treat it as if you were out to coffee with a colleague from work who you recently met- you wouldn't list your qualifications, or why you're a perfect fit, you'd focus on maintaining a smooth and friendly flow of conversation- I think you should do the same here.

If you've gotten the callback, you're already qualified, and (absent some strange circumstances) you won't be quizzed on any law. You might be asked "why us", but I assume you've already done that research.

Good luck!
Thanks! Yeah I'd figured callback to offer info might be a bit of a black box, but I think anecdotes would still be nice to know - just to get an idea of what to expect

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PotatoSalad

New

Post by PotatoSalad » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:

In pertinent part:

I'm assuming those NALP stats, when referring to "interviews," are referring to callbacks and not screeners?
Yes, I also interpret them as callback interviews. The screener ratio would probably be sub-10% if you were to consider all screener interviews that result in offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:01 pm

PotatoSalad wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

In pertinent part:

Yes, I also interpret them as callback interviews. The screener ratio would probably be sub-10% if you were to consider all screener interviews that result in offers.
That's what I was thinking as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”