IRS Honors Atty Program, is there a difference in pay between a Law Clerk and an Atty position incoming?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

IRS Honors Atty Program, is there a difference in pay between a Law Clerk and an Atty position incoming?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:01 am

I know I should just call attorney recruitment and ask, but I figured someone here might know so thought I'd ask here and see if someone knows first.

I have accepted a position in the Honors Attorney program for the IRS Office of Chief Counsel. My initial offer was for a grade 11 step 8 "Law Clerk" and the letter indicated that I had up to 14 months to pass the bar and upon admittance to the bar, my position would change from Law Clerk to Attorney. However, nothing mentioned if that was at the same grade and step or not.

Since I was a December graduate, I took and passed the Feb bar and am now a licensed attorney. I notified my HR contact and they indicated I would now be classified as an Atty when I start in Sept rather than a law clerk.

I neglected to ask if it was still at the same grade or step.

Does anyone know if in the honors program the initial pay grade and step are the same for both "Law Clerk" and "Attorney", or are they different?

I'm sure it will be in the final offer letter which I expect to receive in a couple of weeks as I'm supposed to start in September, but hoping someone here knows what the general practice is.

Return to ‚ÄúLegal Employment‚Ä?