Dogs in the office?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
yost

Bronze

Re: Dogs in the office?

Postby yost » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:13 pm

IExistedOnceBefore wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just a gentle reminder that not every co worker or every client is going to like dogs. They may just not tell you because it's something that will get them mocked or ostracized. They may be allergic or uncomfortable around dogs (or cats). For this reason I'm not a huge fan of pets in the office, purely because most owners don't even think about the fact that there could be someone uncomfortable or unable to be around their dog. Service animals are different, and in atmospheres were it's close knit startup kind of places can be different as well.

A law firm is not the acceptable place.

Thank you. I am genuinely terrified of dogs. I would not admit it though because it comes off as juvenile to most people.

Above anon is me. You're welcome to PM me if you want to talk about it.

This is something I am very concious of and I would honestly hope that someone would let me know this if they are around my dog. I take her to school with me on the weekends. And I'm careful to keep her from going up to people in my neighborhood when we are walking. It's a very poor area and she's a good dog so I don't use a leash. I've also taught her to sit when she approaches someone new rather than jump. Shes only 43 lbs, which is small for me, but I also know a lot of ppl have never had a dog over 10.

I'm going to tell you from personal experience no one is going to let you know. Especially if you aren't using a leash. Leashes are good because it prevents the dog from unexpectedly going up to people. How would they get near you to tell you? The fact that the strange dog is approaching a person without a leash is enough to send some people into a panic attack.

Lots of dog owners like to tell people with fears or allergies their dogs are different. Or they'll make their dog jump on the person who is afraid. Or they'll mock them because they don't understand it. Better to live life without putting yourself in the way of dogs than endure the social ostracism. People are really shitty and unfortunately the action of the shitty is what people base their experience on.

If you're in an enclosed space you'd have no other option. I'm not going to leash my dog in an enclosed room.

And when I'm walking her she is not allowed to go up to people unexpectedly. They have to show some kind of interest before I would let that happen. And even then she probably doesn't care enough about you to come up to you.

Ah see. And here's the issue. In an enclosed space your dog wins over me. You're not going to leash her. That's where people don't tell you. It's rude and inconsiderate.

If it's in your house? Of course not. It's yours and pups house. I would never impose like that.

But in an elevator or an office? If someone gets hives from dog contact or has a panic attack because you won't leash your dog and you won't even consider it? Why would they waste their breathe telling you. There is another option. Not associating with you. And then you lose my business as well.

Also just so you know. Most public areas have leash laws. I would double check yours.

What an odd tirade against dogs. I'm guessing you had a traumatic experience at some point in your life?

OP, I was an SA in SF/SV last summer, and there was an associate who brought his dog to work almost every day. He had a child gate to keep the dog in his office and took him on walks every few hours. Very quiet and well-behaved dog, though. It might not be possible with some breeds. Also, I'd be hesitant to do it as a first year.

PvblivsScipio

Bronze

Postby PvblivsScipio » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:22 pm

ACLU LA lets you bring dogs. It was dope.

FormerChild

New

Postby FormerChild » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:31 pm

Maybe if you write a memo that once and for all determines who the good boy is they'll let you bring him to the office

barkschool

Silver

Postby barkschool » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:26 pm

lawgirl111 wrote:This thread has fully enforced my instinct not to trust people who don't like dogs.

haven't we only learned that only people who say they don't like dogs are honest?

People who say nothing are the untrustworthy ones.

IsThisForReal

Gold

Postby IsThisForReal » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:35 pm

barkschool wrote:
lawgirl111 wrote:This thread has fully enforced my instinct not to trust people who don't like dogs.

haven't we only learned that only people who say they don't like dogs are honest?

That's what I'm getting out of this conversation. And they apparently just sit there and seeth about how much they hate you rather than having an open and honest conversation so everyone more comfortable.
Last edited by IsThisForReal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

lolwat

Silver

Postby lolwat » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:45 pm

As with everything... it probably depends on the firm.

I believe at my firm we cannot have pets in our offices due to terms of our lease. People still brought dogs into the office on the weekends, though, and there was one time one associate's dog peed in some other associate's office. Not cool.

I personally am thankful we cannot have pets in the office. I have no problem at all with well-behaved pets but not everyone's pets are well-behaved and not everybody is as, let's say, respectful, as what appears most of the people with pets posting in this thread are.

1styearlateral

Silver

Postby 1styearlateral » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:18 pm

I've never once seen a dog in a NYC law office and I would not want to be the first person in my office to do so (if I had a dog). The daycare seems like the best option.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:29 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:
barkschool wrote:

That's what I'm getting out of this conversation. And they apparently just sit there and seeth about how much they hate you rather than having an open and honest conversation so everyone more comfortable.

This is the anon poster that is terrified of dogs.

I feel like you're trying to seem understanding, but realistically, how would this situation play out? If someone truly hated or was scared of your dog, would you just pack up and go home? Having a conversation does not change the fear or annoyance of being in a professional setting with a dog. It also would probably annoy you to have someone come up to you randomly and say they don't like that you have your dog there.

Also side note, whenever I am in a close space with someone and their dog (e.g., an elevator), I always instinctively back away and I think most dog owners get it. And if they don't I have to say I'm little nervous around them. Their response? "Oh he/she's friendly," "he/she doesn't bite," "he's a good dog," etc. It's a non-starter for dog lovers. They don't get it.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:49 pm

What would be a better response for them to give?

TheJanitor6203

Silver

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:20 pm

I definitely wouldn't try this or even ask about it as a SA. After you start as an associate, maybe start by asking the appropriate person if it'd be ok to bring your dog on the weekend. Then go from there. I think a lot of this would depend on how big the office is. Even if you're at a big firm, if it's a smaller office with only a few dozen people, your odds would be substantially better than trying this at the home office with 200+ attorneys.

I've honestly tried to figure out what ailment I have that could qualify for a need to have a service dog so I can take my dog every where I go. I even went as far as registering her as a service dog but ultimately decided not to do it because I don't want to harm the reputation of those that truly need service dogs if I was ever found out. Plus, I feel like telling people my 25 pound miniature goldendoodle is a service dog would sound a little silly.

rdawkins28

Bronze

Postby rdawkins28 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:10 pm

Shitlaw and I had my dog in my office. Until he bit the other attorney...

IsThisForReal

Gold

Postby IsThisForReal » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote:
barkschool wrote:

This is the anon poster that is terrified of dogs.

I feel like you're trying to seem understanding, but realistically, how would this situation play out? If someone truly hated or was scared of your dog, would you just pack up and go home? Having a conversation does not change the fear or annoyance of being in a professional setting with a dog. It also would probably annoy you to have someone come up to you randomly and say they don't like that you have your dog there.

Also side note, whenever I am in a close space with someone and their dog (e.g., an elevator), I always instinctively back away and I think most dog owners get it. And if they don't I have to say I'm little nervous around them. Their response? "Oh he/she's friendly," "he/she doesn't bite," "he's a good dog," etc. It's a non-starter for dog lovers. They don't get it.

Honestly it depends on what your reason is. If you hate dogs, no, just stay away from her. I don't like small dogs so I stay away from them. But if you're afraid of them then we either talk about a way to keep her around and make you comfortable or she doesn't come. No, I'm probably not going to immediately pack up and go home, but I wouldn't bring her again if I knew I was going to be interacting with you. Shes a dog, she can stay home. I dont like snakes and I'd be really fucking frustrated if someone kept brining their snake around me. Obvs a slightly diff situation cus dogs are generally accepted, but I made sure I had a yard at my house specifically so my dog will be fine at home alone.

ETA: hate meaning I'm horeified of snakes, that was bad word choice

ETA2 fuck too many beers, cus thats not even the word i used. Either way I run screaming from snakes
Last edited by IsThisForReal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:35 am

Super curious about NorCal biglaw offices where people have seen dogs in the office. I would seriously consider lateraling just to bring my dog into the office.

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:31 am

Where does the dog go to the bathroom at the office? Do firms have grass areas outside the building?

Return to “Legal Employment�