Can You Parlay a DA internship 2L summer to non crim law Firm job? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
MGH1989

Bronze

Can You Parlay a DA internship 2L summer to non crim law Firm job?

Post by MGH1989 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:43 pm

Long story short, interested in litigation so I worked at a DA's office this summer and got tons of trial experience. I am going to apply to both DA's offices and private firms (non-criminal). Will that experience doing criminal work pigeonholed me or is the litigation experience something that firms will appreciate and something I can parlay into getting looks with firms that do litigation outside crim law?

Anonymous User

Re: Can You Parlay a DA internship 2L summer to non crim law Firm job?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:32 pm

MGH1989 wrote:Long story short, interested in litigation so I worked at a DA's office this summer and got tons of trial experience. I am going to apply to both DA's offices and private firms (non-criminal). Will that experience doing criminal work pigeonholed me or is the litigation experience something that firms will appreciate and something I can parlay into getting looks with firms that do litigation outside crim law?
It depends on which type of firms you are applying for. DA's get litigation experience in terms of trials, but motions for speedy trials and motions to suppress don't really require any research, the motions are already written and its mainly a copy paste job. Where as many firms require research and writing. You'd want to find litigation firms where they are looking for actual trial experience, perhaps PI or insurance defense firms. But it's more easy to transition into those firms when you have more litigation experience, felony trials, etc.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”