Updated Resume or Not

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Updated Resume or Not

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:55 pm

Hi all, I guess I'll ask a silly question :roll:

I transferred to a lower T14 (GULC/Cornell/NW) and paid the deposit. Had some ties in CA so applied a bunch of V15's CA offices at the school's career fair and got most of them. Because the time to accept was tight, I accepted all of them, but then discovered that admitted to CLS. Should I

(1) even go to the career fair? (I know if I go, it does not look good, but the NY/CA markets are different, and I'm worried not getting them (CA offices) again in CLS)
(2) update the resume for the career fair? My biggest concern is that some of the interviewers will be alums from the lower T14 and may get pissed off, but they will finally know that. Will it be better off to just let them know when I get the callbacks or even later?

Thanks so much and any input will be appreciated!

Lavitz

Gold

Re: Updated Resume or Not

Postby Lavitz » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all, I guess I'll ask a silly question :roll:

I transferred to a lower T14 (GULC/Cornell/NW) and paid the deposit. Had some ties in CA so applied a bunch of V15's CA offices at the school's career fair and got most of them. Because the time to accept was tight, I accepted all of them, but then discovered that admitted to CLS. Should I

(1) even go to the career fair? (I know if I go, it does not look good, but the NY/CA markets are different, and I'm worried not getting them (CA offices) again in CLS)
(2) update the resume for the career fair? My biggest concern is that some of the interviewers will be alums from the lower T14 and may get pissed off, but they will finally know that. Will it be better off to just let them know when I get the callbacks or even later?

Thanks so much and any input will be appreciated!

I'm no expert on transfer issues, but I have never heard of anyone attending a career fair at a school where they have no connection whatsoever other than having been accepted as a transfer before deciding to attend another school. Seems bizarre to me. And the firms will eventually find out you're not attending the school. I'd just try for them again at CLS. I know people have gotten CA firms as transfers to CLS. It can't be that difficult.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:24 pm

Thanks for the input. But another concern of mine would be if I do not go to the career fair, it is so impolite (b/c when I found out about CLS, I cannot cancel the interviews). Should I tell the lower T14's OCS about that?

Lavitz

Gold

Postby Lavitz » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the input. But another concern of mine would be if I do not go to the career fair, it is so impolite (b/c when I found out about CLS, I cannot cancel the interviews). Should I tell the lower T14's OCS about that?

Yes, you should tell the T14's OCS that you're cancelling because you're not attending their school. Unless this school has a weird system, they should cancel the interviews for you. I know some OCS's say "you can't cancel interviews once you have them" if that's what you're referring to, but it's obviously not true since current students cancel them all the time if they learn they're transferring to another school. They just tell OCS, and they cancel them. Nobody at the school or at the firms is going to think that cancelling is impolite. Not telling them, and taking away interviews that could go to students who actually attend the school, is impolite.

Return to “Legal Employment�