Effect of Law Review on BigLaw Hiring from T14? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Effect of Law Review on BigLaw Hiring from T14?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:50 am

At a T14 school, does getting law review give a cognizable edge, say, to the median student (assuming good interviewing skills) than a student with a secondary and/or no journal in big law hiring?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nagster5

Silver

Re: Effect of Law Review on BigLaw Hiring from T14?

Post by Nagster5 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:59 am

Yes. More for lit than for corporate.

Fireworks2016

Bronze

Post by Fireworks2016 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:24 pm

Nagster5 wrote:Yes. More for lit than for corporate.
Is this really true? To me, all LR signals is an aptitude for finding small and inconsequential errors, which seems like an especially desirable Corp. skill.

omar.comin

New

Post by omar.comin » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:39 pm

Fireworks2016 wrote:
Nagster5 wrote:Yes. More for lit than for corporate.
Is this really true? To me, all LR signals is an aptitude for finding small and inconsequential errors, which seems like an especially desirable Corp. skill.
Possibly true, but lit people seem to care much more about pedigree than corp people do. In lit, you need to run the rat race of LR, competitive AIII clerkship, and summering at a prestigious firm

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:42 pm

Ostensibly LR signals writing ability, which matters more in lit than corp. (generally, LR requires you to succeed in a write-on and also write a competent note. In practice those things may not translate directly to legal writing but the idea is that being good at writing transfers to different contexts.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

perfunctory

Bronze

Post by perfunctory » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:51 pm

Are employers aware that LR selection is part grades, part comp?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:08 pm

perfunctory wrote:Are employers aware that LR selection is part grades, part comp?
Yes. And they get to see your grades, so it's not like they wouldn't figure it out anyway...

gatorade_potato

New

Post by gatorade_potato » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:15 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
perfunctory wrote:Are employers aware that LR selection is part grades, part comp?
Yes. And they get to see your grades, so it's not like they wouldn't figure it out anyway...
It's not the same across the board at T14 schools, nor is it even the same within each individual school—LR selection is commonly split between part grades-only, part comp-only, and part hybrid score.

FWIW OP, I think it made a fairly significant difference for me as a median student going into OCI. I'm a good interviewer, but even considering that, I outperformed my numbers and I was 100% transactional. As others have said, it serves as a proxy for being at least a competent writer, and to a lesser extent, a willingness to take on additional boring, time-consuming work (a key aspect of success in biglaw).

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:22 pm

gatorade_potato wrote:It's not the same across the board at T14 schools, nor is it even the same within each individual school—LR selection is commonly split between part grades-only, part comp-only, and part hybrid score.
Right. The point is that if you know you weren't selected for your grades, then the person reading your resume and transcript will probably also be able to figure that out.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gatorade_potato

New

Post by gatorade_potato » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:44 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
gatorade_potato wrote:It's not the same across the board at T14 schools, nor is it even the same within each individual school—LR selection is commonly split between part grades-only, part comp-only, and part hybrid score.
Right. The point is that if you know you weren't selected for your grades, then the person reading your resume and transcript will probably also be able to figure that out.
Yeah that's valid. I wonder if that pushes the needle in either direction if it's very clear that you made LR strictly based on comp vs. grades.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:09 pm

This differs from school to school. The grades portion at my school was so minimal as to not really make a difference.

I'm sure whether it pushes the needle depends on the employer. Personally I'd favor someone who got in on writing ability but I'm pretty partial. But I'm not hiring for biglaw.

(I actually think LR is more valuable as a proxy for being willing to grind through tedious stuff you have no investment in than as a proxy for writing ability. But again, I'm not hiring anyone.)

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:13 pm

My impression is that it helps a little for general hiring (i.e. corp), helps more than a little for lit, and a helps a whole bunch for clerkship hiring. But all of this is true only if you stop using "cognizable" in everyday speech.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”