Yawning by Interviewers?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Yawning by Interviewers?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:36 pm

I had a CB type interview at a firm (pre-OCI, was set up through another channel). Two of the four people I interviewed with were stifling yawns. More than once. This was mid-afternoon. Is this a bad sign re my interview skills, or does it mean they are being worked to death and are just genuinely tired?

nealric

Re: Yawning by Interviewers?

Postby nealric » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had a CB type interview at a firm (pre-OCI, was set up through another channel). Two of the four people I interviewed with were stifling yawns. More than once. This was mid-afternoon. Is this a bad sign re my interview skills, or does it mean they are being worked to death and are just genuinely tired?

Keep in mind that most people at firms hate getting staffed on interview duty. It's non-billable time that gets foisted on you by recruiting. They may very well have been bored (especially if they've been doing a lot of interviews recently), but that doesn't necessarily mean they will give you a bad write-up. Also keep in mind that not all interviewers are created equal. At most firms, a junior associate is not given the same weight as the hiring partner or a department head.

star fox

Postby star fox » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:49 pm

Maybe, maybe, and maybe. No point in reading tea leaves. Go mass mail more if you're stressed.

Bluem_11

Postby Bluem_11 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:55 pm

If they farted you know you its a ding.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:58 pm

I yawned while reading your post.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had a CB type interview at a firm (pre-OCI, was set up through another channel). Two of the four people I interviewed with were stifling yawns. More than once. This was mid-afternoon. Is this a bad sign re my interview skills, or does it mean they are being worked to death and are just genuinely tired?

Probably bored and tired. But also probably nothing to do with you. Most interviews are boring.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:04 pm

I sleep 8 hours a night and yawn occasionally.

Raiden

Postby Raiden » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:19 pm

It could be that the information you provided was so fascinating that they needed to yawn to receive the additional oxygen in their brain.

But really, you are reading too much into this and no one here can provide a real answer. I don't blame you, interviewing is an anxious time. Recognize it is what it is and harness your inner monk.

acr

Postby acr » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:24 pm

lol dumb post. Could have just been a completely random yawn. Hell, reading your post and seeing the word "yawn" made me yawn. And if it was in the afternoon, they were probably in a post-lunch lull. Stop analyzing every little thing to the nth degree

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:32 pm

rpupkin wrote:I yawned while reading your post.

Me too

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:46 pm

acr wrote:lol dumb post. Could have just been a completely random yawn. Hell, reading your post and seeing the word "yawn" made me yawn. And if it was in the afternoon, they were probably in a post-lunch lull. Stop analyzing every little thing to the nth degree

Also - jesus, you're being interviewed by lawyers. Maybe they are jet-lagged. Maybe they pulled an all-nighter or got in super early. Sometimes - and you'll find this out - but sometimes lawyers work long hours.

acr

Postby acr » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
acr wrote:lol dumb post. Could have just been a completely random yawn. Hell, reading your post and seeing the word "yawn" made me yawn. And if it was in the afternoon, they were probably in a post-lunch lull. Stop analyzing every little thing to the nth degree

Also - jesus, you're being interviewed by lawyers. Maybe they are jet-lagged. Maybe they pulled an all-nighter or got in super early. Sometimes - and you'll find this out - but sometimes lawyers work long hours.

yeah, I know that law school teaches some people to stress out over every little detail and jump to the worst conclusion possible (i.e. "this person yawned because i'm a bad interviewer and i'm gonna strike out, not because they're a fucking human being who just happened to have to yawn"), but seriously.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:11 pm

OP here. Yes, the second part of my question asked just that, is the workload such that they are just tired. Also a valid question, I think, if I don't want to work someplace people are perpetually tired.

No wonder people tend to think lawyers are assholes, considering some of these pompous responses. "This post made me yawn." Then keep scrolling, buddy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Yes, the second part of my question asked just that, is the workload such that they are just tired. Also a valid question, I think, if I don't want to work someplace people are perpetually tired.

No wonder people tend to think lawyers are assholes, considering some of these pompous responses. "This post made me yawn." Then keep scrolling, buddy.

You're in for a fun career.

pml87

Postby pml87 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:20 pm

nealric wrote:

Keep in mind that most people at firms hate getting staffed on interview duty. It's non-billable time that gets foisted on you by recruiting. They may very well have been bored (especially if they've been doing a lot of interviews recently), but that doesn't necessarily mean they will give you a bad write-up. Also keep in mind that not all interviewers are created equal. At most firms, a junior associate is not given the same weight as the hiring partner or a department head.

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:23 pm

It's impossible to say. As a human being, getting a little sleepy mid-afternoon or after a big lunch seems pretty normal to me. Assume it's that until you get dinged; no sense in reading the vaguest of tea leaves.

mjb447

Postby mjb447 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:55 pm

actual photo of interviewer
[+] Spoiler

Raiden

Postby Raiden » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Yes, the second part of my question asked just that, is the workload such that they are just tired. Also a valid question, I think, if I don't want to work someplace people are perpetually tired.

You're in for a fun career.

Hahahahahahahahaha

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:03 am

Could we stop bumping this post? Reading the word "yawn" makes me think about yawning, which makes me yawn. Now everyone at my job thinks I'm bored with them or tired from work.

acr

Postby acr » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:47 pm

Actually not a "valid question" at all. How would we (Internet strangers) have any idea whether this specific firm (which you don't even name) has a workload or hours requirement that would make its employees "perpetually tired"? And even if we knew the firm, how could we possible attribute this specific yawn on this particular occasion to workload?

Also you're naive if you think you'll be working at a firm where you won't be pulling long hours.

You're probably right though. The interviewers were probably yawning to send you a secret message that you're a boring interviewer. Be on the lookout for blinking and finger tapping as well. Classic signs of terrible interviewing skills

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:43 pm

Think about every time you've yawned in your life. What were the reasons? One of those reasons is probably why your interviewers yawned.

If you're looking for a firm where no one is ever tired from having too much work, good luck.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:19 pm

I don't know — some firms have much more of a reputation for being workaholic firms than others do. Sure, everyone in biglaw works hard, but there are different degrees of working hard, and some are more extreme than others. I only ever interviewed with one notoriously workaholic biglaw firm, and two different interviewers looked startled, as if from a trance, when I walked in and the person guiding me announced my presence. I'm not kidding. This is literally what happened.

I don't think that the way that two interviewers respond to you is necessarily proof of anything, but if it was enough to make you concerned, do some checking. See if you can find out if the firm is notorious for being a workaholic firm. If not, it was probably just coincidence.

And seeing a yawn or even being reminded of yawning can make you yawn. I felt the urge to yawn while reading the first post, too, but not because it was boring. Just because it contained the word "yawn." Dammit, I just yawned because I keep typing the word "yawn."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:19 pm

I would hope they apologize at least

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:51 pm

OP here, one week post CB and no word. I'm guessing it was equal parts interviewers were tired + I didn't hold their interest. Lesson learned.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here, one week post CB and no word. I'm guessing it was equal parts interviewers were tired + I didn't hold their interest. Lesson learned.

What lesson did you learn?

Return to “Legal Employment”