Having Coffee With Partner of Firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
CoLolliRol

New

Having Coffee With Partner of Firm

Postby CoLolliRol » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:19 am

I have coffee scheduled with a partner at a firm. Any tips on how to use this as a stepping stone? The office she is working at is currently not hiring any new lawyers but I am applying to another office with the firm.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: Having Coffee With Partner of Firm

Postby RaceJudicata » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:23 am

CoLolliRol wrote:I have coffee scheduled with a partner at a firm. Any tips on how to use this as a stepping stone? The office she is working at is currently not hiring any new lawyers but I am applying to another office with the firm.

Don't go into it trying to use it as a stepping stone. She knows that you are trying to network, etc. Just be interested in their work, ask pointed questions, and come off as a nice, normal person...the rest will fall in line (if its meant to be).

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:25 am

Don't be pushy. Don't ask early on how you can get hired by the firm (or likely at all at this first coffee). Be congenial, ask insightful questions about their practice and what drew them to it. Try not to dominate or steer the conversation and just let it happen naturally. Be a generally likable person. Bring a resume to leave with them if the opportunity naturally presents itself. Be prepared to discuss your interest in the office you're interested in, why you're interested in that office, and what draws you to that firm (subnote: have a good reason for what draws you to that firm beyond generic "I want a job!"). Thank them for meeting with you for coffee at the conclusion, and maybe ask if they wouldn't mind staying in touch if you have any additional questions about the firm/her practice.

Networking in general is about reading the specific person, so any advice is going to be pretty generic on this, but hopefully this helps at least a little bit.

pancakes3

Platinum

Postby pancakes3 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:30 am

don't talk about hiring in the meeting. ask questions, talk about the school if she's alumna, talk about the area, her kids, etc. come off as normal.

*broach* hiring in a thank-you email.

Return to “Legal Employment�