Firms with strong China practice?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Firms with strong China practice?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:13 pm

I have a friend who is a Chinese national JD student. I have told her to come on here and post this inquiry, but she is insistent on doing things her way. She is towards the bottom of our class and did not have any sort of internship this summer. However, her English is pretty good and she will graduate in good standing. She is also a native Chinese speaker and worked at some law firms in China before she started law school in America. Our school is in the lower T1 in the South. She came to visit me this weekend on the West Coast where I am doing my SA and told me she was going to spend today going all over town papering her resume at big firms. While this might show some go-getterness I told her she was probably better off reaching out to firms with strong China practices directly, possibly asking partners in that practice for in person informational coffee interviews and building a network that might be interested in the fact that she is bilingual and understands both American and Chinese culture. I am, however, totally clueless on what firms those might be. Anyone have any guidance on this?

Neff

Bronze

Re: Firms with strong China practice?

Postby Neff » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:03 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a friend who is a Chinese national JD student. I have told her to come on here and post this inquiry, but she is insistent on doing things her way. She is towards the bottom of our class and did not have any sort of internship this summer. However, her English is pretty good and she will graduate in good standing. She is also a native Chinese speaker and worked at some law firms in China before she started law school in America. Our school is in the lower T1 in the South. She came to visit me this weekend on the West Coast where I am doing my SA and told me she was going to spend today going all over town papering her resume at big firms. While this might show some go-getterness I told her she was probably better off reaching out to firms with strong China practices directly, possibly asking partners in that practice for in person informational coffee interviews and building a network that might be interested in the fact that she is bilingual and understands both American and Chinese culture. I am, however, totally clueless on what firms those might be. Anyone have any guidance on this?

She should just go through the Amlaw or Vault 100 and look at how many attorneys are in their Chinese offices, if they have one. That'll give you a rough estimate. I wish her luck, although tbh as a native Mandarin speaker myself, I've found that it's at best a relatively small plus factor, even for big firms with a decent presence in China.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have a friend who is a Chinese national JD student. I have told her to come on here and post this inquiry, but she is insistent on doing things her way. She is towards the bottom of our class and did not have any sort of internship this summer. However, her English is pretty good and she will graduate in good standing. She is also a native Chinese speaker and worked at some law firms in China before she started law school in America. Our school is in the lower T1 in the South. She came to visit me this weekend on the West Coast where I am doing my SA and told me she was going to spend today going all over town papering her resume at big firms. While this might show some go-getterness I told her she was probably better off reaching out to firms with strong China practices directly, possibly asking partners in that practice for in person informational coffee interviews and building a network that might be interested in the fact that she is bilingual and understands both American and Chinese culture. I am, however, totally clueless on what firms those might be. Anyone have any guidance on this?

She should just go through the Amlaw or Vault 100 and look at how many attorneys are in their Chinese offices, if they have one. That'll give you a rough estimate. I wish her luck, although tbh as a native Mandarin speaker myself, I've found that it's at best a relatively small plus factor, even for big firms with a decent presence in China.

I second this. My Chinese background + language skills were minimally helpful for biglaw. Outside of a few niche practice groups/partners in some big law firms on the West Coast (which your friend would have virtually no shot at given her grades and school), Chinese language/background is not helpful. Firms don't make money in China, period (*barring a few firms in HK). Lots of big firms are winding down/downsizing their China offices.

At my T15, Chinese students come over in droves (mostly for LLMs and a few JDs). Of the dozens I knew, only a handful of them got big law. Most ended up going back to China.

ColonizeTheUniverse

New

Postby ColonizeTheUniverse » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:04 pm

If she was bottom of the class + do things in her own way + no summer job (this one I doubt), then just have it her way. She doesn't need or deserve your help.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:43 pm

From personal experience, your friend is in for a really hard time. I also know other Asian Americans who did really poorly in OCI. I'm not sure if we just do worse in law school, we're socially awkward and can't turn interviews into offers, or there's something more going on.

I'd look into Mayer Brown - it's a competitive firm generally speaking, but I have heard that they get a good chunk of China litigations so your friend could be an asset there. Also, Cooley on the corporate side does a lot of China work. I'd tell your friends to network hard with these firms (talk to any alumni possible) before applying.

Return to “Legal Employment�