How big a deal is it to reschedule lateral interview/advice

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How big a deal is it to reschedule lateral interview/advice

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:34 pm

I need help. I'm in smaller law (not shit law but just a couple rungs above) and secured an interview with a regional biglaw firm set for the 20th. Unfortunately, I'm now slotted to cover a mediation that day.

It took a lot to coordinate the interview (or at least thy made it seem like that) and I really don't want to ask them to reschedule. I know how busy partners are and how difficult it is to coordinate their schedules. I also don't want them to just come to some realization that "this guys just not worth the hassle of coordinating an interview."

I don't know what to do. Should I ask my current firm if someone else can cover the mediation? Should I just ask to reschedule the lateral interview? How big of a deal is rescheduling a set lateral interview? Helllppppp

Anonymous User

Re: How big a deal is it to reschedule lateral interview/advice

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:12 pm

Bump. Anything? Sorry to be annoying I just need to figure out something quickly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:18 pm

ask if someone can cover the mediation. You can say that you have some health-related appointment that can't be bumped.

lolwat

Silver

Postby lolwat » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:19 pm

I have no experience with this so take it with a grain of salt but I think the best option is to see if somebody can cover the mediation for you, and you can go to the interview.

I mean, I would think the firm you're interviewing at would understand if an unavoidable conflict like a mediation came up, but firms typically have more people interested than they have positions so if somebody is difficult they might think they may as well just move onto the next candidate.

clerk1251

Bronze

Postby clerk1251 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:ask if someone can cover the mediation. You can say that you have some health-related appointment that can't be bumped.

+1. I agree with this. If you're already looking to leave your firm, don't worry too much. You don't want to reschedule the interview. Come up with some reason that you can't attend the mediation, apologize, and ask for someone else to cover it. Just make sure it is concrete enough of an excuse that they can't say no.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:01 pm

I've lost job opportunities before when I've delayed the interview due to scheduling issues. They just said sorry but we moved on with other qualified candidates. So definitely try to get someone else to cover for you - make up an excuse.

Return to “Legal Employment�