Fired From Biglaw...Now what?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Fired From Biglaw...Now what?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:40 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Fired From Biglaw...Now what?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:07 am

Your most likely (good) opportunity will be ending up at another biglaw firm.

Depending on your experience/ability/credentials, the market, your risk tolerance, and how much you trust the firm to stick to its 4-5 month timeline, I'd think you're probably good going after jobs you really want for a month or two before you have to start looking at firm jobs again, though. The problem with in-house apps is how long they can take to transform into job interviews, and how long that process can take before you get close to an offer. Firms can go from resume submission to conflicts cleared in a month (or less). In-house jobs can take a month just to look at your resume. Big difference...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:21 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jhett

Bronze

Postby jhett » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:08 pm

Use your contacts/clients/network to find in-house opportunities as well. Having a connection usually shortens the application process.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:48 pm

Can I ask what year were you? (4th, 5th or 6th?) And did they give any particular reason for firing you? Just curious.

Sorry to hear it happened, best of luck with the job search, I'm sure you'll land on your feet fine.

What the f.supp?

Bronze

Postby What the f.supp? » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:58 pm

This may be terrible advice, but I would probably go to another law firm now (as the poster above said, they hire quickly), spend the next year hunting for that perfect in-house gig, and then jump. From what I've seen with friends applying, the competitive in-house gigs tend to hire very slowly and the last thing you want is for your time to run out at current firm before you've found a place to land. Even if your SO can support you during that transitional period, you'll have an employment gap going forward and this may indicate to interviewers that your departure was involuntary.

Anyways, sorry to hear about your situation and I wish you all the best.

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:NYC Corporate. Midlevel. V20. Given the speech and 4/5 months to find something new. Firm was very nice about it.

Does spamming (3 to 4 different apps a day) in-house gigs work? Can't change markets (SO) and really want to avoid another firm.

Thanks!

If you have 4-5 months, you can likely find another biglaw firm if you want. If you are thinking of getting out of NYC, now is the time.

Do not spam in-house gigs. Build relationships and target companies. Don't just rely on posted openings- find out who has a need and who you know.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:36 pm

The problem you are going to run into is that firms/inhouse departments generally don't hire in November and December. Therefore, you realistically only have 3 months to look for a job. It isn't as much time as you think it is. Hiring usually picks up again in January and Feb.

I would apply ASAP to inhouse jobs. Inhouse jobs can take a long time or very short amount of time. I've gotten a few inhouse offers. The longest one took 2.5 months from application to offer. The other two jobs took 1 month. However, my biglaw practice is in tech transactions. It is definitely doable with your timeline. It just depends on how urgent they need to hire someone.

It will be difficult for you to find jobs that are predominately corporate. Those jobs are highly sought after. Most inhouse jobs relate to drafting of commercial contracts or technology based contracts. I would try to play up experience in those fields. Some jobs may have occasional help with M&A deals. The easiest group to go from biglaw to inhouse is tech transactions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:The problem you are going to run into is that firms/inhouse departments generally don't hire in November and December. Therefore, you realistically only have 3 months to look for a job. It isn't as much time as you think it is. Hiring usually picks up again in January and Feb.

I would apply ASAP to inhouse jobs. Inhouse jobs can take a long time or very short amount of time. I've gotten a few inhouse offers. The longest one took 2.5 months from application to offer. The other two jobs took 1 month. However, my biglaw practice is in tech transactions. It is definitely doable with your timeline. It just depends on how urgent they need to hire someone.

It will be difficult for you to find jobs that are predominately corporate. Those jobs are highly sought after. Most inhouse jobs relate to drafting of commercial contracts or technology based contracts. I would try to play up experience in those fields. Some jobs may have occasional help with M&A deals. The easiest group to go from biglaw to inhouse is tech transactions.

Mind giving an estimate of the average time (and maybe ranges) for how long it took from submission to initial contact for the in-house gigs? Thx.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The problem you are going to run into is that firms/inhouse departments generally don't hire in November and December. Therefore, you realistically only have 3 months to look for a job. It isn't as much time as you think it is. Hiring usually picks up again in January and Feb.

Mind giving an estimate of the average time (and maybe ranges) for how long it took from submission to initial contact for the in-house gigs? Thx.

It really depends. If there is a huge need for someone they will look at resumes on a rolling basis. For example, one offer I received that took a month was an immediate need. They were looking at resumes on a rolling basis. I applied and got an interview invitation within 2 days. Then after 3 phone interviews in the span of 1.5 to 2 weeks, they invited me for an in person meeting. I received an offer 3 days after that.

If it is not an immediate need, then they may wait a month for 100 resumes and review from there. Another offer I received, I applied and waited over a month for a screener interview. Then 2 weeks later, they invited me back for an in person interview. Got the offer 1 week after that.

Keep in mind that summer (and the holidays, nov & dec) is one of the slowest season for hiring. A lot of people are gone and on vacation. Hiring usually picks up in September and October.

nealric

Postby nealric » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Just one frame of reference: I was hiring manager for our last hire, which was an immediate need due to an unexpected departure. I waited two weeks after the initial posting to get a sense of the range of candidates we'd be getting. Once I had 3 candidates who looked like a good fit, we started scheduling interviews (which were mostly done back-to-back). The candidate who received the offer waited a bit over a month from application to offer. That's about the minimum time line for hires due to overhead with HR and the need/desire to make sure we are getting the most qualified candidate.

When I interviewed at my company it was considerably longer (about 2 months as I recall) in-part because the need wasn't as immediate (I was hired as part of succession planning).

I wouldn't immediately assume seasonality will kill prospects for in-house gigs. We've hired over the summer or close to year-end when there's an immediate need.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:22 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Postby Lacepiece23 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can I ask what year were you? (4th, 5th or 6th?) And did they give any particular reason for firing you? Just curious.

Sorry to hear it happened, best of luck with the job search, I'm sure you'll land on your feet fine.

Thanks. 6th. Just not where I needed to be performance wise. We have a strong (large) group of mid folks. I was the weakest (or near the weakest). No glaring reason. 80% on me, I could have been better.

That's a long time to make it in biglaw. Congrats on that at least. It sucks being fired, but at least you probably banked some decent money. Good luck.

Return to ‚ÄúLegal Employment‚Ä?