Questions about malpractice insurance Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
santa_mcgee

New

Questions about malpractice insurance

Post by santa_mcgee » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:47 pm

Long story short, have any of you worked for a law firm as an independent contractor? How do you go about malpractice insurance if the firm doesn't offer a coverage plan? I contacted some insurance places and they told me that if you get a plan under your own name, but you do work for a firm and hold yourself out to the public as that firm's' lawyer, then the plan wouldn't protect you because you're technically not doing work for yourself. The firm wouldn't be protected either because you're not listed in their insurance. Am I missing something here? If that's the case, then how does one go about protecting himself? Do you use some type of engagement letter to make it clear to a client that you work for the firm but you're working under your own name? Doesn't that sound odd too?

Sorry in advance if these are stupid questions but I've never had malpractice insurance under my own name before and I'm having a difficult time figuring this stuff out. I'd appreciate hearing any thoughts or suggestions.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Re: Questions about malpractice insurance

Post by kellyfrost » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:26 pm

Find a broker in your area that writes professional liability insurance, or look for a reccomendation from local attorneys or insurance brokers.

Chubb has a great professional liability policy for law firms, but it is geared towards firms of 10 or more attorneys.

No sweat though, Chubb has a miscellaneous professional liability policy that they tailor to your needs. Read more here: https://www2.chubb.com/us-en/business-i ... ility.aspx
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

santa_mcgee

New

Re: Questions about malpractice insurance

Post by santa_mcgee » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:08 pm

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I did contact a couple places but they wouldn't give me a quote because they said based on what I described, a policy under my own name wouldn't protect me for any work that I do for the firm. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm thinking there must be plenty of non-traditional type law firms out there. It can't be too uncommon for a firm to not offer any sort of coverage plan. If that's the case though, then what do lawyers that work as independent contractors do?

The places I contacted said the only real way to protect myself is for the firm to include me in any insurance plan that they have but that's not an option for me.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Removed

Post by kellyfrost » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:24 pm

Removed post...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”