Associate vs Associate Attorney Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Associate vs Associate Attorney

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:53 pm

Is there a difference between an associate and an associate attorney? I keep seeing people using the terms in a way that implies they're not interchangeable, but I haven't been able to find a place that explains the difference.

Would associate attorney be a nicer way of saying staff attorney? Or does it mean something else?

FullRamboLSGrad

New

Re: Associate vs Associate Attorney

Post by FullRamboLSGrad » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:56 pm

Theyre the same. Usually of counsel is used in place of terms like Staff Attorney.

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:10 pm

These terms are the same. Using associate attorney simply adds another descriptor.

Mr. Blackacre

Bronze

Post by Mr. Blackacre » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:30 pm

FullRamboLSGrad wrote:Theyre the same. Usually of counsel is used in place of terms like Staff Attorney.
What? That's the first time I hear this. In many places, of counsel is used for senior associates who weren't on partner track but had some sort of useful specialized knowledge, so they got placed in this in-between position. Completely different (both in job responsibilities and salary) from a staff attorney. I'm sure it exists somewhere, but I've never heard of of counsel being used to describe a staff attorney

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:29 pm

FullRamboLSGrad wrote:Theyre the same. Usually of counsel is used in place of terms like Staff Attorney.
This is wrong.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:01 pm

"Of Counsel" is not equivalent to "staff attorney."

Mr. Peanutbutter

Diamond

Post by Mr. Peanutbutter » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:50 pm

lol wtf at most firms of counsel/special counsel is billed out at the same rate as many partners. Def not staff attorney, which is usually a euphemism for temp doc review or permanent but part-time. The only thing the two have in common is usually not partner track, although many of counsel are in a holding pattern for pathern

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:50 pm

Counsel's are sometimes also "on hold" to make partner. And sometimes make partner after a few years of being counsel.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”