Shoes?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bobbyflayed

Re: Shoes?

Postby bobbyflayed » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:45 pm

Last edited by bobbyflayed on Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobbyflayed

Postby bobbyflayed » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:47 pm

FSK wrote:It lists such as fashion forward, and describes fashion forward as anything that could easily be faux pas. Read the chart gooberino.

It does not list black suits as fashion forward. The chart only shows color combination faux paus. In fact it shows black suit/black shoes as normal. I'm not talking about shoe combinations. I am talking about clothing in the workplace.

We work in an industry with clients that have a lot of money. Appearance matters. One should never wear a black suit to work. You will look like a pleb.
Last edited by bobbyflayed on Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rh1no

Postby Rh1no » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:48 pm

LurkerTurnedMember wrote:colorful socks

Don't knock the colorful socks. I've worn colorful socks and a bright colored tie to every callback. (along w/ navy suit, white/lightblue/gentle pattern shirt, brown shoes). Also this whole thread kind of sucks [besides all AE endorsements which I thoroughly approve of]. If you didn't get an offer at a firm because of the type of shoes you were wearing, it likely has less to do with what shoes you were actually wearing, and everything to do with the fact that you come across as the type of person who has thousands of posts on an anonymous internet forum about law school. [disclaimer: not directed at anyone personally]

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:28 pm

I feel like listing the white suit as appropriate for scientific research and medical settings must be a troll.

(Also I think people way overestimate who cares about a black suit on a man.)

LurkerTurnedMember

Postby LurkerTurnedMember » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:58 pm

Rh1no wrote:

Don't knock the colorful socks. I've worn colorful socks and a bright colored tie to every callback. (along w/ navy suit, white/lightblue/gentle pattern shirt, brown shoes). Also this whole thread kind of sucks [besides all AE endorsements which I thoroughly approve of]. If you didn't get an offer at a firm because of the type of shoes you were wearing, it likely has less to do with what shoes you were actually wearing, and everything to do with the fact that you come across as the type of person who has thousands of posts on an anonymous internet forum about law school. [disclaimer: not directed at anyone personally]

Being "extra" with your clothing (yes, it includes bright and colorful ties and socks) is as bad as wearing pants that say juicy on your butt.

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:46 pm

Only one pair of shoes you need, brah!

Rh1no

Postby Rh1no » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:17 am

LurkerTurnedMember wrote:
Rh1no wrote:

Being "extra" with your clothing (yes, it includes bright and colorful ties and socks) is as bad as wearing pants that say juicy on your butt.

yawn. heard that one before. wear what you want.

TheJanitor6203

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:22 pm

Rh1no wrote:
Rh1no wrote:

yawn. heard that one before. wear what you want.

What's wrong with expressing your personality a little at work?

Mr. Blackacre

Postby Mr. Blackacre » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:53 pm

Rh1no wrote:

lol you must be fun to work with. Ties and socks are probably the only area of menswear where you can have a bit of originality. There's nothing wrong with the charcoal suit, light blue shirt, navy tie, black socks/black shoes combo, except that if everyone wore it we'd look even more like corporate drones than we already do.

Glasseyes

Postby Glasseyes » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:49 pm

Do: buy black captoe shoes by literally any brand that makes shoes that can look reasonably decent for a month. AE Park or 5th Avenue are both great choices. Cheaper options include Johnston & Murphy Melton Captoe, which won't last forever like AE but they're fine. Really cheap options include Bostonian, which I wouldn't do personally, but do whatcha gotta do. Also feel free to wear a red tie at OCI. Half the people there will be in navy ties; half will be in red. You will not stand out or look aggressive, you'll blend right in.I'd probably do burgundy pindot or navy stripe, personally, but this is less of a hard and fast rule than the black captoe thing, which is an actual thing.

Don't: wear any other color shoe at OCI unless you want to run the risk of irking the 10% of interviewers who do care. Wearing black captoes means you understand the basic rules of OCI; wearing something else shows that either you don't understand those rules or you don't care, both of which are more likely to hurt than help when you're entering one of the world's most uptight professions. If I were the one doing the hiring, even though I could care less if someone wears brown over black in virtually any other situation, at OCI I would certainly notice it, and it wouldn't reflect well on the candidate. Wear brown shoes every day as an SA or associate and no one will blink. Just jump through the necessary hoops for now, land the gig, and prosper.

Also don't: wear a black suit to work (if you're a guy) unless you're a mortician. Black suits have been arguably trendy in certain contexts, like playing in a post-punk band in 2003, and they're functional at funerals or certain formal events (though you'd wear a tux, not a black suit). But they're the opposite of fashion forward in terms of work wear, much more of a signal you don't know how to dress yourself. Same with black pants generally (at least for work): don't.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:08 pm

Ties and socks are probably the only area of menswear where you can have a bit of originality. There's nothing wrong with the charcoal suit, light blue shirt, navy tie, black socks/black shoes combo, except that if everyone wore it we'd look even more like corporate drones than we already do.

I think there are plenty of other options for originality, but ties and socks are indeed two of them.

The problem is I think many people are sort of blending together what you should/shouldn't wear to an interview versus what you can/can't wear once you've got the job already.

Sure, at the interview stage you can wear whatever you want, but why do something that just might hurt you with "10% of interviews who do care" (I'm not sure it's that high of a %, but whatever it is, it's gotta be more than 0%)?

When you've got the job, you wear, pretty much, whatever the hell you feel like as long as it's within appropriate dress code for the firm.

LurkerTurnedMember

Postby LurkerTurnedMember » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:13 pm

Mr. Blackacre wrote:
Rh1no wrote:

lol you must be fun to work with. Ties and socks are probably the only area of menswear where you can have a bit of originality. There's nothing wrong with the charcoal suit, light blue shirt, navy tie, black socks/black shoes combo, except that if everyone wore it we'd look even more like corporate drones than we already do.

I don't mind a bit of fun with the tie or even the socks, but this is what I was talking about and what I can't stand (sorry it's just fugly and repelling and for some reasons there is a whole sector of people who wear this and sincerely think it's ok):

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:17 pm

At least guys are now as concerned about outfits. Progress!

Mr. Blackacre

Postby Mr. Blackacre » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:23 pm

LurkerTurnedMember wrote:I don't mind a bit of fun with the tie or even the socks, but this is what I was talking about and what I can't stand (sorry it's just fugly and repelling and for some reasons there is a whole sector of people who wear this and sincerely think it's ok):

Now I see what you were thinking about. Definitely get the douchey vibe. But hopefully no one will every think of dressing like that at an interview...

Mr. Blackacre

Postby Mr. Blackacre » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:40 pm

I don't mind a bit of fun with the tie or even the socks, but this is what I was talking about and what I can't stand (sorry it's just fugly and repelling and for some reasons there is a whole sector of people who wear this and sincerely think it's ok):

This actually reminded me of a relevant piece of advice.

Rh1no

Postby Rh1no » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:27 am

^^Though I genuinely think that that kind of outfit looks good (although not necessarily on those particular people), I will concede that anyone who wears that to work is an idiot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:09 am

Mr. Blackacre wrote:
Rh1no wrote:

This has to be a picture from UVA...

UBETutoring

Postby UBETutoring » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:15 am

He just had a simple question about a specific kind of shoes, and this got sidetracked into one hour of reading material of a discussion on men's fashion in general. The picture above is comical, but not particularly helpful for OP's question about OCI shoes. These young men do not appear to be at OCI, and if they are, then have made bold choices that OP may want to avoid.

OP there's nothing wrong with those shoes. Cole Haans are fine, but some other products hold their value more. Cole Haans are $125-150 shoes being sold for $200-250 with the intention they will drop so the price you saw isn't really a bargain. They are good shoes though, and fine for OCI. The only thing to pay attention is color coordination and you can do this by simply googling a suit-shoes chart.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:33 am

UBETutoring wrote:He just had a simple question about a specific kind of shoes, and this got sidetracked into one hour of reading material of a discussion on men's fashion in general. The picture above is comical, but not particularly helpful for OP's question about OCI shoes. These young men do not appear to be at OCI, and if they are, then have made bold choices that OP may want to avoid.

OP there's nothing wrong with those shoes. Cole Haans are fine, but some other products hold their value more. Cole Haans are $125-150 shoes being sold for $200-250 with the intention they will drop so the price you saw isn't really a bargain. They are good shoes though, and fine for OCI. The only thing to pay attention is color coordination and you can do this by simply googling a suit-shoes chart.

Well, I guess, exactly. He had a simple question, which got answered on the first page by several people as far as I can tell (and then repeatedly answered again, like in your post just now!). To the extent this has gone a bit off topic since then, what's wrong with that? :)

UBETutoring

Postby UBETutoring » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:32 pm

lolwat wrote:
UBETutoring wrote:He just had a simple question about a specific kind of shoes, and this got sidetracked into one hour of reading material of a discussion on men's fashion in general. The picture above is comical, but not particularly helpful for OP's question about OCI shoes. These young men do not appear to be at OCI, and if they are, then have made bold choices that OP may want to avoid.

Well, I guess, exactly. He had a simple question, which got answered on the first page by several people as far as I can tell (and then repeatedly answered again, like in your post just now!). To the extent this has gone a bit off topic since then, what's wrong with that? :)

It's just funny a simple "are these shoes okay" question somehow results in a picture of a bunch of kids wearing bowties that doesn't even show their shoes.

Ilovemydogxo

Postby Ilovemydogxo » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:37 pm

Crocs are very versatile

Aergia

Postby Aergia » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:35 pm

Just wanted to let my TLS bros know AE Park Aves are on sale at Club Monaco. $180 I think.

devilblue

Postby devilblue » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:45 pm

Thank you all for the on point and off point posts. To update, as a poor law student, I bought them instead of the AE's. AE's can wait for biglaw.

And I'll wear black with blue.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:59 pm

Good call. Although, once you have $$ in biglaw, if you're in like NY go check out Leffot or The Armoury. More expensive but better brands than AE. (Smokeythebear would be proud of the Aldens both places carry.)

Halp

Postby Halp » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:57 pm

Ilovemydogxo wrote:Crocs are very versatile

Only if they're black!

Return to “Legal Employment”