Shoes?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jarofsoup
Posts: 1991
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Shoes?

Postby jarofsoup » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:11 pm

Make sure they match your belt. That is clutch.

User avatar
UBETutoring
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:37 pm

Re: Shoes?

Postby UBETutoring » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:16 pm

jarofsoup wrote:Make sure they match your belt. That is clutch.

Those will also be $100 in a few weeks. Cole Haan always has extra % of sales. You can buy a different pair in a darker shade. In 3 years, you won't regret having 2 shades of brown shoes. For OCI, I'd say they probably won't look as good with navy as dark brown but it depends on how you define navy.

User avatar
Raiden
Posts: 371
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: Shoes?

Postby Raiden » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:49 pm

UBETutoring wrote:^149 for AE is a steal, but those look off for some reason. That shade of brown is probably going to be the best match for dark navy, but these are minor complaints - navy suits look like a blackish blue so wind up matching pretty much everything.


Yeah I am thinking about taking a bite, I have a dark navy blue suit this would go well with, my other brown shoes are not as brown as this one.

So are AE's the best brand to look out for or are there others? I always leaned towards Bruno Magalis, or whatever decent I can find in Nordstrom Rack.

User avatar
FSK
Posts: 7843
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Re: Shoes?

Postby FSK » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:09 pm

1) AE makes shoes especially for Nordstrom rack and Saks off 5th. Those are not full quality AE shoes. You can get factory seconds from shoebank.

2) The "embroidery" is call brouging. You do whatever you like, but a brouged oxford is more formal than a captoe derby. I think captoe derbys look weird anyway. Derbys make more sense as longwings.

User avatar
Mr. Blackacre
Posts: 296
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:48 pm

Re: Shoes?

Postby Mr. Blackacre » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:34 pm

FSK wrote:1) AE makes shoes especially for Nordstrom rack and Saks off 5th. Those are not full quality AE shoes. You can get factory seconds from shoebank.

2) The "embroidery" is call brouging. You do whatever you like, but a brouged oxford is more formal than a captoe derby. I think captoe derbys look weird anyway. Derbys make more sense as longwings.


Broguing. It's a brogue, not a brouge. Peasant :lol:

I would stay away from extensive broguing. I would just go with a basic captoe oxford.
http://shoebank.com/FactorySecondInventory.php?STY=0125S&DIM=D&SIZE=100
http://shoebank.com/FactorySecondInventory.php?STY=5015S&DIM=D&SIZE=090

User avatar
Raiden
Posts: 371
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: Shoes?

Postby Raiden » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:38 pm

FSK wrote:1) AE makes shoes especially for Nordstrom rack and Saks off 5th. Those are not full quality AE shoes. You can get factory seconds from shoebank.

2) The "embroidery" is call brouging. You do whatever you like, but a brouged oxford is more formal than a captoe derby. I think captoe derbys look weird anyway. Derbys make more sense as longwings.


So AE's from Saks is an authentic AE? Didn't realize Saks would retail subpar quality, I assumed the shoe quality was all the same. I am on the West Coast and it looks like their shoebank isn't here.

Maybe its just a style thing, but broguing just looks like professional clown shoes. I can't imagine wearing those on a daily basis in the firm, maybe on court appearance days.

User avatar
Aergia
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:44 pm

Re: Shoes?

Postby Aergia » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:43 pm

Raiden wrote:
UBETutoring wrote:^149 for AE is a steal, but those look off for some reason. That shade of brown is probably going to be the best match for dark navy, but these are minor complaints - navy suits look like a blackish blue so wind up matching pretty much everything.


Yeah I am thinking about taking a bite, I have a dark navy blue suit this would go well with, my other brown shoes are not as brown as this one.

So are AE's the best brand to look out for or are there others? I always leaned towards Bruno Magalis, or whatever decent I can find in Nordstrom Rack.


To Boot is also pretty nice and in the same price range. Nordstrom Rack usually has a number of them available. They look better than AEs in my opinion, still traditional but slightly narrower lasts and tighter, cleaner stitching. They are also well made (hand made in Italy) but I don't know about their longevity.

If you want to spend past the AE/To Boot price range, I'd recommend Crocket and Jones.

User avatar
FSK
Posts: 7843
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Re: Shoes?

Postby FSK » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:44 pm

Mr. Blackacre wrote:
FSK wrote:1) AE makes shoes especially for Nordstrom rack and Saks off 5th. Those are not full quality AE shoes. You can get factory seconds from shoebank.

2) The "embroidery" is call brouging. You do whatever you like, but a brouged oxford is more formal than a captoe derby. I think captoe derbys look weird anyway. Derbys make more sense as longwings.


Broguing. It's a brogue, not a brouge. Peasant :lol:

I would stay away from extensive broguing. I would just go with a basic captoe oxford.
http://shoebank.com/FactorySecondInventory.php?STY=0125S&DIM=D&SIZE=100
http://shoebank.com/FactorySecondInventory.php?STY=5015S&DIM=D&SIZE=090


Yeah I have fifth aves in walnut and black. I have park aves in oxblood, and I have strands in chili. The strands are my favorite, but I don't wear them to interviews

User avatar
FSK
Posts: 7843
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Re: Shoes?

Postby FSK » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:46 pm

Raiden wrote:
FSK wrote:1) AE makes shoes especially for Nordstrom rack and Saks off 5th. Those are not full quality AE shoes. You can get factory seconds from shoebank.

2) The "embroidery" is call brouging. You do whatever you like, but a brouged oxford is more formal than a captoe derby. I think captoe derbys look weird anyway. Derbys make more sense as longwings.


So AE's from Saks is an authentic AE? Didn't realize Saks would retail subpar quality, I assumed the shoe quality was all the same. I am on the West Coast and it looks like their shoebank isn't here.

Maybe its just a style thing, but broguing just looks like professional clown shoes. I can't imagine wearing those on a daily basis in the firm, maybe on court appearance days.


You can think what you want, I'm just explaining the classic sartorial stuff undestanding.

Just follow this and you won't stand out

Image

User avatar
Mr. Blackacre
Posts: 296
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:48 pm

Re: Shoes?

Postby Mr. Blackacre » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:48 pm

Raiden wrote:
So AE's from Saks is an authentic AE? Didn't realize Saks would retail subpar quality, I assumed the shoe quality was all the same. I am on the West Coast and it looks like their shoebank isn't here.

Maybe its just a style thing, but broguing just looks like professional clown shoes. I can't imagine wearing those on a daily basis in the firm, maybe on court appearance days.


As far as I know, the only "first" quality shoes AE makes for others are the shoes they make for Brooks Brothers. The shoes they make for Nordstrom/Sacks are the same quality as the lower quality lines of shoes AE sells on their website. They're not terrible (IMO they're still better than Cole Haan), but they're not as good.

You don't need a shoebank in your state to order from the shoebank website. It's a bit archaic, but basically what you do is look up your shoe size on the website, see which model you want, and the website lists all locations that have that model. You have to call the location to ask for the shoes, and they'll ship it to you for a flat $10 in the continental US. The weird thing is that they still do it all by phone.
Last edited by Mr. Blackacre on Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mr. Blackacre
Posts: 296
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:48 pm

Re: Shoes?

Postby Mr. Blackacre » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:50 pm

Aergia wrote:To Boot is also pretty nice and in the same price range. Nordstrom Rack usually has a number of them available. They look better than AEs in my opinion, still traditional but slightly narrower lasts and tighter, cleaner stitching. They are also well made (hand made in Italy) but I don't know about their longevity.

If you want to spend past the AE/To Boot price range, I'd recommend Crocket and Jones.


IMO To Boot doesn't last quite as long. Another option at the AE price range is Meermin, but they ship from Spain and it's a pain to return if you don't know your size very well. Beyond Crockett and Jones, Alden and Carmina are also really great at a further price range. Can't say I can afford either though :(

User avatar
Raiden
Posts: 371
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: Shoes?

Postby Raiden » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:03 pm

FSK wrote:
Raiden wrote:
FSK wrote:1) AE makes shoes especially for Nordstrom rack and Saks off 5th. Those are not full quality AE shoes. You can get factory seconds from shoebank.

2) The "embroidery" is call brouging. You do whatever you like, but a brouged oxford is more formal than a captoe derby. I think captoe derbys look weird anyway. Derbys make more sense as longwings.


So AE's from Saks is an authentic AE? Didn't realize Saks would retail subpar quality, I assumed the shoe quality was all the same. I am on the West Coast and it looks like their shoebank isn't here.

Maybe its just a style thing, but broguing just looks like professional clown shoes. I can't imagine wearing those on a daily basis in the firm, maybe on court appearance days.


You can think what you want, I'm just explaining the classic sartorial stuff undestanding.

Just follow this and you won't stand out

Image



Nice! That graph is helpful. You sir are our resident GQ expert.

User avatar
Aergia
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:44 pm

Re: Shoes?

Postby Aergia » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:05 pm

Mr. Blackacre wrote:
Aergia wrote:To Boot is also pretty nice and in the same price range. Nordstrom Rack usually has a number of them available. They look better than AEs in my opinion, still traditional but slightly narrower lasts and tighter, cleaner stitching. They are also well made (hand made in Italy) but I don't know about their longevity.

If you want to spend past the AE/To Boot price range, I'd recommend Crocket and Jones.


IMO To Boot doesn't last quite as long. Another option at the AE price range is Meermin, but they ship from Spain and it's a pain to return if you don't know your size very well. Beyond Crockett and Jones, Alden and Carmina are also really great at a further price range. Can't say I can afford either though :(


Just FYI, Crockett is having a sale right now. Their website doesn't list sale prices though so idk how much of a discount you can get.

stoopkid13
Posts: 268
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:31 am

Re: Shoes?

Postby stoopkid13 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:45 pm

FSK wrote:
Raiden wrote:
FSK wrote:If you're going to get AE's you should probably get oxfords, which are more formal than the derbys you linked. 5th ave/Park Ave are what you want.


What about in terms of comfort?


They're all on the same last, its basically identical. Just break them in a bit, as you need to with any leather soled shoe.

If you order from AE pickup their polish/cream/care kit. Its nice and compact and its all high quality.


Some people say that derbys are more comfortable for people with wider feet, but I agree that you should get oxfords because they are more formal.

User avatar
FSK
Posts: 7843
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Re: Shoes?

Postby FSK » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:12 pm

stoopkid13 wrote:
FSK wrote:
Raiden wrote:
FSK wrote:If you're going to get AE's you should probably get oxfords, which are more formal than the derbys you linked. 5th ave/Park Ave are what you want.


What about in terms of comfort?


They're all on the same last, its basically identical. Just break them in a bit, as you need to with any leather soled shoe.

If you order from AE pickup their polish/cream/care kit. Its nice and compact and its all high quality.


Some people say that derbys are more comfortable for people with wider feet, but I agree that you should get oxfords because they are more formal.


AE offers AA-EEE widths (so wide, double wide, and triple wide). Just get the width you need!

foregetaboutdre
Posts: 352
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:16 am

Re: Shoes?

Postby foregetaboutdre » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:39 pm

I'm a firm believer in black shoes look fine with a navy suit (especially for OCI). I think most making hiring decisions agree with that to be completely honest.

When I was buying a navy suit the guy selling it to me was hounding me about how black does not go with navy. That may be true stylistically, but in a conservative businesss environment like a law firm I think it does.

However, post OCI I have increasingly given less fucks about what I wear to work.

lolwat
Posts: 1104
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: Shoes?

Postby lolwat » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:29 am

There is style and then there is what you should wear to an interview. Burgundy is a color that works well with many suits and, to me, looks infinitely better than brown, but I'd never suggest it as an interview shoe color.

I'd personally go with black, either captoe or wholecut oxfords. As long as nothing really stands out, you're fine. And that's really what you're going for in an interview IMO. If someone pays more attention to your clothes than to you, something's probably wrong.

As for brands and the like. AE seconds are as far down the quality range as I'd go but that's pretty inexpensive at $150-200s. There are a few decent options in that range if you just don't like how they look though -- Meermin and Carlos Santos come to mind. If the price range goes up to 300-500 then you've got way more options. it doesnt really matter because few normal people notice quality past a certain extent and even fewer know anything outside of "designer" brands which often are shittier than AEs when it comes to more expensive shoes. The point of getting AEs over some brand like Cole Haan is really better construction and durability over time. To most people they all look the same.

User avatar
FSK
Posts: 7843
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Re: Shoes?

Postby FSK » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:26 am

AE seconds are more like 250-300 these days unless you catch a semi annual sale.

Also just wear black shoes to an interview. Wear a white shirt. Don't wear a ridiculous tie.

LurkerTurnedMember
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:31 am

Re: Shoes?

Postby LurkerTurnedMember » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:24 am

devilblue wrote:Are these shoes (or something similar): https://www.colehaan.com/lenox-hill-cap ... n&start=39

Appropriate to wear with a navy suit at OCI or are they too light?


My friends and I crushed during OCI and no one cared about their brand of shoes. It's one of those things where your clothing won't really help, but it can only hurt.
So keep it simple. Just get black shoes and make sure they're not scuffed and they match with a black belt, and that your socks match the color of your suit pants. Black shoes go with everything. You can go to your local mall and get good quality shoes for $50 to $65.

I'm surprised people know shoes so well. I don't even know what Derby, AE, oxfords, and others are. And all these fancy colors. There's nothing worse that showing up to an interview looking like you're a horse jockey with those weird elbow patches, mismatched colors for pants and suit jacket, colorful socks, and some brown shoes. I never get why people dress like that. Almost as embarassing as when people wear those preppy misatched clothes, like bright red shorts and a blue shirt. And it actually makes me feel pressured to call them "bro" for some reason.

User avatar
FSK
Posts: 7843
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Re: Shoes?

Postby FSK » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:26 am

LurkerTurnedMember wrote:
I'm surprised people know shoes so well. I don't even know what Derby, AE, oxfords, and others are. And all these fancy colors.


Because when you have to wear a suit all day, you may as well learn about and buy quality stuff, and along with that comes a bit of knowledge about style.

User avatar
TheJanitor6203
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Re: Shoes?

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:21 pm

Mr. Blackacre wrote:You don't need a shoebank in your state to order from the shoebank website. It's a bit archaic, but basically what you do is look up your shoe size on the website, see which model you want, and the website lists all locations that have that model. You have to call the location to ask for the shoes, and they'll ship it to you for a flat $10 in the continental US. The weird thing is that they still do it all by phone.


Also, when you call the store to order, you can ask what is wrong with the shoe/where the scuff is. They won't always go look for you but sometimes they will.

User avatar
Mr. October
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:05 am

Re: Shoes?

Postby Mr. October » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:39 pm

While I think brown looks better with Navy, I have done some research and the "credited" OCI/callbacks uniform is black shoes w/ Navy or Grey suit. Law is a very conservative field (dress-wise), and wearing brown shoes is actually a bit of a statement.

That said, while black is better, you're certainly ok with brown. You can't win w/ your dress, you can only lose.

lolwat
Posts: 1104
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: Shoes?

Postby lolwat » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:29 pm

BTW, now that I'm not posting from a phone, I suggest the following brands if people are looking for AE alternatives within the AE price range: Meermin, Carlos Santos, and J. Fitzpatrick. Mostly the downsides to these are that they aren't US based and won't have as good of customer service as AE does. (Although the owner of J. Fitzpatrick moved from the UK to NYC so it might be more US-based soon.)

If this discussion happened like two weeks ago I could have pointed people to some good Carminas for $350 but not anymore.

bobbyflayed
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:41 am

Re: Shoes?

Postby bobbyflayed » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:28 pm

Raiden wrote:
FSK wrote:
Raiden wrote:
FSK wrote:1) AE makes shoes especially for Nordstrom rack and Saks off 5th. Those are not full quality AE shoes. You can get factory seconds from shoebank.

2) The "embroidery" is call brouging. You do whatever you like, but a brouged oxford is more formal than a captoe derby. I think captoe derbys look weird anyway. Derbys make more sense as longwings.


So AE's from Saks is an authentic AE? Didn't realize Saks would retail subpar quality, I assumed the shoe quality was all the same. I am on the West Coast and it looks like their shoebank isn't here.

Maybe its just a style thing, but broguing just looks like professional clown shoes. I can't imagine wearing those on a daily basis in the firm, maybe on court appearance days.


You can think what you want, I'm just explaining the classic sartorial stuff undestanding.

Just follow this and you won't stand out

Image



Nice! That graph is helpful. You sir are our resident GQ expert.


What kind of povert chart tells you to buy a black suit for anything other than a funeral? Do NOT wear a black suit to the office unless you'd like the entire firm to know you have no knowledge of the business world.

User avatar
FSK
Posts: 7843
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Re: Shoes?

Postby FSK » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:30 pm

It lists such as fashion forward, and describes fashion forward as anything that could easily be faux pas. Read the chart gooberino.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.