Shoes?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
devilblue

Shoes?

Postby devilblue » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:16 pm

Are these shoes (or something similar): https://www.colehaan.com/lenox-hill-cap ... n&start=39

Appropriate to wear with a navy suit at OCI or are they too light?

Bluem_11

Re: Shoes?

Postby Bluem_11 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:43 pm

devilblue wrote:Are these shoes (or something similar): https://www.colehaan.com/lenox-hill-cap ... n&start=39

Yes they are shoes.

thebrownnote

Postby thebrownnote » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:51 pm

Wear black shoes. There's no reason to wonder.

devilblue

Postby devilblue » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:52 pm

Bluem_11 wrote:
devilblue wrote:Are these shoes (or something similar): https://www.colehaan.com/lenox-hill-cap ... n&start=39

Yes they are shoes.

See i was like 95% sure but not 100% so I put the "something similar" in there. Good to know that I was right. I should trust my gut more often.

devilblue

Postby devilblue » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:53 pm

thebrownnote wrote:Wear black shoes. There's no reason to wonder.

I had always thought black and blue was a no no (but i'm clearly not a fashion expert so tell me why i'm wrong)

Raiden

Postby Raiden » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:10 pm

Those are nice shoes though. I am gonna snag em.

barkschool

Postby barkschool » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:17 pm

devilblue wrote:

I had always thought black and blue was a no no (but i'm clearly not a fashion expert so tell me why i'm wrong)

you might have been literally on a boat when you were told that, but I couldn't tell you for sure

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:10 pm

Yes good. No not too light

nyu2019maybeplease

Postby nyu2019maybeplease » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:58 pm

IMO (obviously, since it's fashion): generally, brown better than black w navy suits, particularly lighter shades of navy. That said, this is an interview, and black is slightly more conservative.

Dark suit, black shoes and belt, dark red (or similar) tie is easy and inoffensive. Still, as long as you match shoes and belt you'll likely be fine (from a clothing perspective).

devilblue wrote:

juzam_djinn

Postby juzam_djinn » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:20 pm

i have the same pair don't you dare f'ing copy me

SFSpartan

Postby SFSpartan » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:27 pm

Don't wear black shoes with a blue suit - brown looks better. I think these are fine, but I'm also not part of the Allen Edmonds Park Ave. circle jerk that routinely goes on in the men's clothing thread.

Mr. Blackacre

Postby Mr. Blackacre » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:34 pm

SFSpartan wrote:Don't wear black shoes with a blue suit - brown looks better. I think these are fine, but I'm also not part of the Allen Edmonds Park Ave. circle jerk that routinely goes on in the men's clothing thread.

Disagree with both parts of your advice. IMO, black goes great with both blue/navy and grey. I think the whole "don't wear black with navy" thing is an American vs. British thing though.

Regardless of style preference, I definitely wouldn't buy Cole Haans, and certainly not for >$100. I guess I am part of the Allen Edmonds circle jerk, but when you can get AE seconds for under $150, Cole Haan doesn't make a lot of sense. The AEs are better quality and will last longer. So I would say the type of shoe is good, but I wouldn't buy those.

RaceJudicata

Postby RaceJudicata » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:08 pm

Mr. Blackacre wrote:
SFSpartan wrote:Don't wear black shoes with a blue suit - brown looks better. I think these are fine, but I'm also not part of the Allen Edmonds Park Ave. circle jerk that routinely goes on in the men's clothing thread.

Disagree with both parts of your advice. IMO, black goes great with both blue/navy and grey. I think the whole "don't wear black with navy" thing is an American vs. British thing though.

Regardless of style preference, I definitely wouldn't buy Cole Haans, and certainly not for >$100. I guess I am part of the Allen Edmonds circle jerk, but when you can get AE seconds for under $150, Cole Haan doesn't make a lot of sense. The AEs are better quality and will last longer. So I would say the type of shoe is good, but I wouldn't buy those.

I second Allen Edmonds seconds.

TEIAM

Postby TEIAM » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:20 pm

Get cute with brown shoes after you have a job. Navy suit, dark red tie, black shoes. Period.

stoopkid13

Postby stoopkid13 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:15 pm

Mr. Blackacre wrote:

Cole Haan doesn't even know the difference between oxfords and bluchers. TTT confirmed.

cdotson2

Postby cdotson2 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:21 pm

stoopkid13 wrote:
Cole Haan doesn't even know the difference between oxfords and bluchers. TTT confirmed.

agreed, and i'm surprised no one has committed that you need proper oxfords.

calmtigers

Postby calmtigers » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:41 pm

People have mentioned but heres a sale on Allen Edmonds (see link below). I was a bit of a hater at first until I got my first pair!

http://www.saksoff5th.com/Allen-Edmonds ... =395181059

FSK

Postby FSK » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:04 am

If you're going to get AE's you should probably get oxfords, which are more formal than the derbys you linked. 5th ave/Park Ave are what you want.

Raiden

Postby Raiden » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:35 am

FSK wrote:If you're going to get AE's you should probably get oxfords, which are more formal than the derbys you linked. 5th ave/Park Ave are what you want.

What about in terms of comfort?

Aergia

Postby Aergia » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:02 am

TEIAM wrote:Get cute with brown shoes after you have a job. Navy suit, dark red tie, black shoes. Period.

I've heard a red tie is too aggressive for an associate-level interview (both from other law students and an employee at Brooks Brothers). I personally think a muted red works well with a lot of color combos (and fuck these ridiculous fashion rules), but the absolute safest choice is probably blue.

FSK

Postby FSK » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:25 am

Raiden wrote:
FSK wrote:If you're going to get AE's you should probably get oxfords, which are more formal than the derbys you linked. 5th ave/Park Ave are what you want.

They're all on the same last, its basically identical. Just break them in a bit, as you need to with any leather soled shoe.

If you order from AE pickup their polish/cream/care kit. Its nice and compact and its all high quality.

Man from Nantucket

Postby Man from Nantucket » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:43 am

AE Park Ave in dark brown or black both perfectly acceptable with a navy suit.

Roy McAvoy

Postby Roy McAvoy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:00 am

Those are fine. Beyond dressing conservatively, TLS really overexaggerates shit like oxfords v derbys or whether they're a shade too light.

If you would feel confident wearing those in an interview, get them. No interviewer is going to ding you because you wore the wrong brand of shoes, and 95% of people can't tell the difference when they're on your feet.

Raiden

Postby Raiden » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:06 am

FSK wrote:
Raiden wrote:

They're all on the same last, its basically identical. Just break them in a bit, as you need to with any leather soled shoe.

If you order from AE pickup their polish/cream/care kit. Its nice and compact and its all high quality.

I am feeling these - http://m.saksoff5th.com/pd.jsp?productC ... ID=lQBOXdk

I'd want to avoid the ones with the embroidery.

UBETutoring

Postby UBETutoring » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:13 am

Black/brown and blue depends on the shade of blue. Navy isn't really what people picture when they think of blue.

Those look good, but the issue is they're named tan so may look different in person. Tan looks great with blue, not so much with navy. It comes down too whether those look more tan or brown, and how dark your navy suit is.

That said, I doubt 10% of people will notice your shoes.

^149 for AE is a steal, but those look off for some reason. That shade of brown is probably going to be the best match for dark navy, but these are minor complaints - navy suits look like a blackish blue so wind up matching pretty much everything.

Return to “Legal Employment”