Evaluating Entry Level Offers in terms of lateraling

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
arabatlaw

New

Evaluating Entry Level Offers in terms of lateraling

Postby arabatlaw » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:41 pm

I'm a recent T14 grad who struck out at OCI. Through some luck and persistence I've yielded two offers. They are however completely different jobs. One is as an associate attorney at a boutique employment firm near NYC that solely represents school districts and the other is as an associate at a smaller but reasonably well established criminal defense practice in NYC that handles everything from misdemeanors to death penalty appeals.
In terms of potential exit opportunities, how would larger private practices look at these employment experiences? Not necessarily V100 or even V250 firms but let's say "midlaw" firms of 50-100 attorneys. Could a person to enter a white collar practice coming from the criminal defense side as opposed to having been an Assistant US Attorney? Would the litigation experience be valued if it came from a criminal defense firm? I thank you all in advance for your responses. Godspeed.

Civilservant

New

Re: Evaluating Entry Level Offers in terms of lateraling

Postby Civilservant » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:47 pm

Such completely different practices. I would say employment law opens more doors in terms of going in house at some point. The only edge the crim defense firm will have is if there is a firm that is seeking someone with a lot of trial experience, otherwise you are rather pigeon holed.

Having done quite a bit of criminal defense, I would say take a breath and ask yourself whether it is something that you have the stomach for. I always enjoyed it, but others just can't deal with it.

Either way, I would not accept either offer on the premise of climbing the prestige ladder, accept the job that is most geared towards your personality, and try to establish yourself among practicitioners in the field.

favabeansoup

Bronze

Postby favabeansoup » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:31 pm

This sounds like something that is completely personal to you. I'm not sure how much help anyone can be here.

I think on the whole you will find more "midlaw" firms that have employment related practices rather than criminal defense, but not necessarily this specialized school district niche.

I would agree with last poster though, take the job that you find more appealing to your personal interests.

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Postby gaddockteeg » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:44 pm

Between the two options, go employment. A lot of big law firms hire laterals for their employment/labor groups.

I've personally never ever seen a hire from small crim into white collar before. I have seen a significant number of small firm employment lawyers lateral to v100 before.

arabatlaw

New

Postby arabatlaw » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:42 am

gaddockteeg wrote:Between the two options, go employment. A lot of big law firms hire laterals for their employment/labor groups.

I've personally never ever seen a hire from small crim into white collar before. I have seen a significant number of small firm employment lawyers lateral to v100 before.

UPDATE: I ultimately decided to go with the employment firm. Thank you all for your input, advice and recommendations. They were greatly appreciated!

Return to “Legal Employment�