3L OCI 2017

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 314059
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:37 am

I also sent STB my resume on 8/1 and followed up even more recently then that. Given the lack of rejection, is there reason to be hopeful? (Sorry for your rejection, anon, but it makes me wonder about my own status.)

Already dinged by Proskauer, Gibson, and Cleary with silence from everywhere else I emailed.

Anonymous User
Posts: 314059
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:I also sent STB my resume on 8/1 and followed up even more recently then that. Given the lack of rejection, is there reason to be hopeful? (Sorry for your rejection, anon, but it makes me wonder about my own status.)

Already dinged by Proskauer, Gibson, and Cleary with silence from everywhere else I emailed.


I think firms tend to answer more quickly to an in-person resume drop, than an email app. You mind giving me a timeline of your Cleary ding?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 314059
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anonymous reporting MoFo and Skadden interviews.
Yes, around top 25%. I mass mailed around 10 NY firms, including Skadden and MoFo.
Kirkland & Ellis, Cahill, Davis Polk, Cleary, Morgan Lewis. Other than Morgan Lewis, I don't know if any of those firms are hiring 3Ls but I sent an email expressing interest in case a position opens.


I interviewed with Cahill last week and got an offer this week. K&E has an internal application tool on their website with a few positions available. I'd suggest you fill those out instead of waiting for an email response.

Anonymous User
Posts: 314059
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:40 am

any movement from latham?

Anonymous User
Posts: 314059
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:37 am

Has anyone heard from Kirkland at all?

Anonymous User
Posts: 314059
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I also sent STB my resume on 8/1 and followed up even more recently then that. Given the lack of rejection, is there reason to be hopeful? (Sorry for your rejection, anon, but it makes me wonder about my own status.)

Already dinged by Proskauer, Gibson, and Cleary with silence from everywhere else I emailed.


I think firms tend to answer more quickly to an in-person resume drop, than an email app. I personally haven't gotten any responses at all from my emails to 20 or so firms. You mind giving me a timeline of your Cleary ding? I only emailed them on Monday, but it's good to get an idea of when to expect the ding.


I also dropped my resume in person at STB's hospitality suit. No news.
Cleary ding timeline: emailed recruiter 8/7, got an email 3 hours later asking for a SA reference, submitted said reference, followed by a ding 20 minutes later. Not sure if it was the SA reference but the recruiter said it was needed to complete my application.
I asked an associate at the firm I summered at for a reference because the associate knew from our conversations that I wanted to pursue transactional work and move back home. I know that was risky but at this point they probably know we are interviewing if we haven't accepted. Most of my class accepted on the spot. The SAs that split their summer with another firm already accepted as well.

Anonymous User
Posts: 314059
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I also sent STB my resume on 8/1 and followed up even more recently then that. Given the lack of rejection, is there reason to be hopeful? (Sorry for your rejection, anon, but it makes me wonder about my own status.)

Already dinged by Proskauer, Gibson, and Cleary with silence from everywhere else I emailed.


I think firms tend to answer more quickly to an in-person resume drop, than an email app. I personally haven't gotten any responses at all from my emails to 20 or so firms. You mind giving me a timeline of your Cleary ding? I only emailed them on Monday, but it's good to get an idea of when to expect the ding.


I also dropped my resume in person at STB's hospitality suit. No news.
Cleary ding timeline: emailed recruiter 8/7, got an email 3 hours later asking for a SA reference, submitted said reference, followed by a ding 20 minutes later. Not sure if it was the SA reference but the recruiter said it was needed to complete my application.
I asked an associate at the firm I summered at for a reference because the associate knew from our conversations that I wanted to pursue transactional work and move back home. I know that was risky but at this point they probably know we are interviewing if we haven't accepted. Most of my class accepted on the spot. The SAs that split their summer with another firm already accepted as well.


This was Cleary DC or NY?

Anonymous User
Posts: 314059
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I also sent STB my resume on 8/1 and followed up even more recently then that. Given the lack of rejection, is there reason to be hopeful? (Sorry for your rejection, anon, but it makes me wonder about my own status.)

Already dinged by Proskauer, Gibson, and Cleary with silence from everywhere else I emailed.


I think firms tend to answer more quickly to an in-person resume drop, than an email app. I personally haven't gotten any responses at all from my emails to 20 or so firms. You mind giving me a timeline of your Cleary ding? I only emailed them on Monday, but it's good to get an idea of when to expect the ding.


I also dropped my resume in person at STB's hospitality suit. No news.
Cleary ding timeline: emailed recruiter 8/7, got an email 3 hours later asking for a SA reference, submitted said reference, followed by a ding 20 minutes later. Not sure if it was the SA reference but the recruiter said it was needed to complete my application.
I asked an associate at the firm I summered at for a reference because the associate knew from our conversations that I wanted to pursue transactional work and move back home. I know that was risky but at this point they probably know we are interviewing if we haven't accepted. Most of my class accepted on the spot. The SAs that split their summer with another firm already accepted as well.


This was Cleary DC or NY?


DC

Anonymous User
Posts: 314059
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:59 pm

Dinged by Dechert today. Resume drop at a hospitality suite.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 314059
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Cleary ding timeline: emailed recruiter 8/7, got an email 3 hours later asking for a SA reference, submitted said reference, followed by a ding 20 minutes later. Not sure if it was the SA reference but the recruiter said it was needed to complete my application.
I asked an associate at the firm I summered at for a reference because the associate knew from our conversations that I wanted to pursue transactional work and move back home. I know that was risky but at this point they probably know we are interviewing if we haven't accepted. Most of my class accepted on the spot. The SAs that split their summer with another firm already accepted as well.


Did they ask for a full reference letter, or would an email suffice? If they ask me, I feel like I'm gonna have to wait a while for a reference if I need a full letter.

raasmania

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:20 pm

Re: 3L OCI 2017

Postby raasmania » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:24 pm

Anyone hear from Latham?

Anonymous User
Posts: 314059
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Cleary ding timeline: emailed recruiter 8/7, got an email 3 hours later asking for a SA reference, submitted said reference, followed by a ding 20 minutes later. Not sure if it was the SA reference but the recruiter said it was needed to complete my application.
I asked an associate at the firm I summered at for a reference because the associate knew from our conversations that I wanted to pursue transactional work and move back home. I know that was risky but at this point they probably know we are interviewing if we haven't accepted. Most of my class accepted on the spot. The SAs that split their summer with another firm already accepted as well.


Did they ask for a full reference letter, or would an email suffice? If they ask me, I feel like I'm gonna have to wait a while for a reference if I need a full letter.


They just asked for my references, including a contact from my SA firm. I have an offer letter in hand, I wonder if it would have been appropriate to send that instead.

Anonymous User
Posts: 314059
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anonymous reporting MoFo and Skadden interviews.
Yes, around top 25%. I mass mailed around 10 NY firms, including Skadden and MoFo.
Kirkland & Ellis, Cahill, Davis Polk, Cleary, Morgan Lewis. Other than Morgan Lewis, I don't know if any of those firms are hiring 3Ls but I sent an email expressing interest in case a position opens.


I interviewed with Cahill last week and got an offer this week. K&E has an internal application tool on their website with a few positions available. I'd suggest you fill those out instead of waiting for an email response.


Congrats on Cahill. Was this mass mail? I am focusing on NY only so I had to mass mail K&E because I didn't see an opening in that office online.
Also, a friend of mine applied to K&E Chicago and got an email back from the recruiter asking why Chicago? The person responded that their SO wanted to move there for work and that he/she spent time in Chicago and considered going to law school there...no response. Maybe the ties are not strong enough.

Anonymous User
Posts: 314059
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:56 pm

Dinged by WSGR this morning.

Anonymous User
Posts: 314059
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:58 pm

.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 314059
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anonymous reporting MoFo and Skadden interviews.
Yes, around top 25%. I mass mailed around 10 NY firms, including Skadden and MoFo.
Kirkland & Ellis, Cahill, Davis Polk, Cleary, Morgan Lewis. Other than Morgan Lewis, I don't know if any of those firms are hiring 3Ls but I sent an email expressing interest in case a position opens.


I interviewed with Cahill last week and got an offer this week. K&E has an internal application tool on their website with a few positions available. I'd suggest you fill those out instead of waiting for an email response.


Congrats on Cahill. Was this mass mail? I am focusing on NY only so I had to mass mail K&E because I didn't see an opening in that office online.
Also, a friend of mine applied to K&E Chicago and got an email back from the recruiter asking why Chicago? The person responded that their SO wanted to move there for work and that he/she spent time in Chicago and considered going to law school there...no response. Maybe the ties are not strong enough.


Thanks. Cahill came to CLS EIP for 3L screeners, and I got a quick callback and offer. As for K&E, they have a Tax Associate position in NY which you can apply for through their website. I'd do it, but I don't have a tax background, so I applied to the Boston one instead. If you want to try Chicago, don't do what your friend did. "SO wants to move there" is a horrible answer. If he wants to go the SO route, he should've said that she was DEFINITELY moving to Chicago. She's packing up as he speaks, and he's 100% committed on moving to Chicago and he isn't exploring any other market.


Good to know! I don't have any ties to Chicago and no SO so it seems like an elaborate lie that I wouldn't be able to keep up after an interview. But I am interested in what can I say about a city I like but have no ties to. For example, LA.

Anonymous User
Posts: 314059
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:06 pm

So anyone been dinged from CSM-STB-DPW from MM?

Anonymous User
Posts: 314059
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:42 pm

Did anyone apply to or hear anything from Shulte DC or Cadwalader DC. I heard mutterings that both may be hiring 3Ls but nothing concrete, and I haven't gotten a response from either.

Anonymous User
Posts: 314059
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:49 pm

Recruiter I'm connected with on Linkedin is advertising 3L positions at

K&E NY for Real estate
and Jones Day, San Diego

raasmania

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:20 pm

Re: 3L OCI 2017

Postby raasmania » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:19 pm

For people who had screeners, what was the format? phone interviews or in person??

cleanslate6

New
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:11 pm

Re: 3L OCI 2017

Postby cleanslate6 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:11 pm

raasmania wrote:For people who had screeners, what was the format? phone interviews or in person??


In person.

Anonymous User
Posts: 314059
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:43 am

anything from Quinn? 2.5 week silence since screener

Anonymous User
Posts: 314059
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:45 am

What is the ettiquette for reaching out to firms that had given us 2L summer offers? Mention it in my initial email? Don't mention it? If I should, then how?

Anonymous User
Posts: 314059
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:anything from Quinn? 2.5 week silence since screener


Quinn has given cbs, but I don't think any offers have gone out yet

Anonymous User
Posts: 314059
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anonymous reporting MoFo and Skadden interviews.
Yes, around top 25%. I mass mailed around 10 NY firms, including Skadden and MoFo.
Kirkland & Ellis, Cahill, Davis Polk, Cleary, Morgan Lewis. Other than Morgan Lewis, I don't know if any of those firms are hiring 3Ls but I sent an email expressing interest in case a position opens.


I interviewed with Cahill last week and got an offer this week. K&E has an internal application tool on their website with a few positions available. I'd suggest you fill those out instead of waiting for an email response.


What day did you interviewed last week? And what day this week did you get the offer? I did my callback with them this Thursday morning, and still waiting. Thanks!



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.