3L OCI 2017

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 316515
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from jones day

Received a CB invitation for the Irvine office last Thursday. T14 above media student. Heard of others who got a CB the same day.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316515
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from jones day

Received a CB invitation for the Irvine office last Thursday. T14 above media student. Heard of others who got a CB the same day.


Any idea how many they are taking?

Anonymous User
Posts: 316515
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:43 pm

Any one get an offer or rejection from fisher Phillips

Anonymous User
Posts: 316515
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:28 pm

Has anyone else interviewed with the state side office if Watson Farley Williams and received an offer or rejection?

Anonymous User
Posts: 316515
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:06 pm

Got instant callback to JonesDay Irvine, callback went great (I thought), and dinged a week later.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316515
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:Got instant callback to JonesDay Irvine, callback went great (I thought), and dinged a week later.


Stats? Did you summer in biglaw?

Anonymous User
Posts: 316515
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got instant callback to JonesDay Irvine, callback went great (I thought), and dinged a week later.


Stats? Did you summer in biglaw?


Lower T14, roughly median, summered at Biglaw

Anonymous User
Posts: 316515
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:17 pm

First, please don't quote as I plan to delete this once I have received my answer. I feel like the firm could see this and piece things together.

Do most firms let you know if they are going to call your summer firm to confirm your offer? Who do they typically call? HR? Or the managing partner in the office your worked in?

I am concerned because I was no-offered, but several attorneys in the office explicitly told me to spin it however I want and not to mention the no offer at interviews. They instead told me to say I wasn't going back because of geography, practice group, etc. since they have a neutral reference policy. The attorneys I specifically asked to serve as references also told me the same thing. I know if they call HR they will only confirm dates and title (recruiting coordinator, whom I was close to told me this). However, I am concerned about the current managing partner as he was just promoted to management. The managing partner from the summer had to retire from management due to age in September, and the current managing partner was out on paternity leave during the majority of my summer and is thus unfamiliar with my work. I received overall very good reviews and was given two letters of reference from the then managing partner and a senior associate to use for clerkship applications. Still, I was told my no-offer was for work product reasons. I messed up on one assignment for an influential of counsel who gave me a bad review. All of my other reviews were glowing. While I don't think the current MP would say anything negative about my work, as he was not there to personally see it, I am concerned that despite the neutral reference policy he might tell a prospective firm I was not given an offer if they explicitly ask, and this would ruin my employment chances.

I have had two very promising callbacks in the past week. Would they extend an offer before calling my summer firm? Would they simply call HR? Would they ask me to provide them with contact information for attorneys at my summer firm instead of directly reaching out to the managing partner? Would they let me know so I could reach out to the pertinent people at my summer firm first? I know every firm is different, but I am trying to get an idea of what typically happens. If it matters, the firm I am most concerned about is a leader in the employment law space, so they probably would not do anything that would expose them to liability. But then again, strange things happen everyday, and given their knowledge of how common it is for things to go south in the employer/employee relationship, they might be extra careful about checking references.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316515
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do most firms let you know if they are going to call your summer firm to confirm your offer? Who do they typically call? HR? Or the managing partner in the office your worked in?

I am concerned because I was no-offered, but several attorneys in the office explicitly told me to spin it however I want and not to mention the no offer at interviews. They instead told me to say I wasn't going back because of geography, practice group, etc. since they have a neutral reference policy. The attorneys I specifically asked to serve as references also told me the same thing. I know if they call HR they will only confirm dates and title (recruiting coordinator, whom I was close to told me this). However, I am concerned about the current managing partner as he was just promoted to management. The managing partner from the summer had to retire from management due to age in September, and the current managing partner was out on paternity leave during the majority of my summer and is thus unfamiliar with my work. I received overall very good reviews and was given two letters of reference from the then managing partner and a senior associate to use for clerkship applications. Still, I was told my no-offer was for work product reasons. I messed up on one assignment for an influential of counsel who gave me a bad review. All of my other reviews were glowing. While I don't think the current MP would say anything negative about my work, as he was not there to personally see it, I am concerned that despite the neutral reference policy he might tell a prospective firm I was not given an offer if they explicitly ask, and this would ruin my employment chances.

I have had two very promising callbacks in the past week. Would they extend an offer before calling my summer firm? Would they simply call HR? Would they ask me to provide them with contact information for attorneys at my summer firm instead of directly reaching out to the managing partner? Would they let me know so I could reach out to the pertinent people at my summer firm first? I know every firm is different, but I am trying to get an idea of what typically happens. If it matters, the firm I am most concerned about is a leader in the employment law space, so they probably would not do anything that would expose them to liability. But then again, strange things happen everyday, and given their knowledge of how common it is for things to go south in the employer/employee relationship, they might be extra careful about checking references.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316515
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:33 pm

Mods ^ this was totally jerky is there anyway you can delete the above post?



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.