Should I consider going inhouse? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Should I consider going inhouse?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:20 am

Hey guys,

I have a few years of biglaw and inhouse experience. I am in a pretty in demand group right now. I was recently asked by a former firm client if I had any interest in moving inhouse. The job would be majority commercial contracts and the remaining would be the field that I specialized in inhouse (think tax, environmental, consumer lending).

The position is a normal sr. corporate counsel position (bottom of the pole) and pay is slightly lower than what I make now but the real kicker is that after 3-6 months of working at their corporate office, I can work remote, which is an amazing opportunity that will allow me to move anywhere I want to live.

The only part that scares me is that my job is more commodity focused work (commercial contracts) and less specialty work (future career prospects). At the same time, I understand that opportunities like this don't come around often.

nealric

Re: Should I consider going inhouse?

Post by nealric » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:14 am

Going in-house all about the company and the opportunities therein. I'd be a bit concerned about working remote though. Employees who aren't around tend to be out-of-sight-out-of-mind. It means they are often the first to go when there's a round of layoffs, and last to get promoted. I'd be more interested in something like that as a gateway to retirement rather than as something you'd want to build your career on.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”