Bar expenses at small law firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bar expenses at small law firms

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:33 pm

Just found out that I will be getting a full-time offer at the firm I'm currently an SA for. The firm only has about 30 attorneys (in the Philly market). I know that large law firms almost always pay for bar expenses, but does anyone here have any experience for smaller firms? I'm not really expecting much, but I was hoping that at least the exam fee would be covered.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Re: Bar expenses at small law firms

Postby SmokeytheBear » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:37 pm

Refine what you mean by "bar expenses," because even some top firms don't pay for them, they just advance you the money.

Do a search on here for "firm benefits"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:39 pm

I meant the costs to take the bar exam and a prep course. I'm certainly not expecting anything for living expenses.

deadpanic

Silver

Postby deadpanic » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:38 pm

I would be real surprised if a small firm paid for a bar prep course. Those are what, 2,500-3k? That is quite a bit for a small firm, especially when the older partners are probably thinking what the hell do you need a bar prep course for.

It is more likely they will pay the exam fee and let you take time off to study. Ask a young associate.

(Just a shot in the dark based on experience. It will obviously vary by firm.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:17 pm

My small firm didn't pay for the course or exam fee. In fact, when I asked they said nobody had ever asked them that before (great job there by yours truly). They do pay our bar dues though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:14 am

I'm joining a 30ish person firm, and they paid for my bar prep course and exam fee.

Return to “Legal Employment�