Pre OCI callback Travel expenses?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Pre OCI callback Travel expenses?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:27 am

Hi all. I'm a rising 2L going to school in New York but working in DC for the summer. I was offered a pre oci call back with a NY firm scheduled at the end of July. I will still be working and living in DC by the time of the call back and wanted to know whether I should ask the firm to cover my travel expenses to NY for the call back and if so how to bring it up? The callback is scheduled for the afternoon in the middle of the week, so getting to and from on the bus is not ideal but will be my only option if I have to cover it myself. Any ideas ? I preferably would want the firm to cover a round trip Amtrak ticket . Thanks for your input!

Mr. Blackacre

Bronze

Re: Pre OCI callback Travel expenses?

Postby Mr. Blackacre » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:36 am

If it's a biglaw firm they should definitely pay for it. If not, YMMV. A lot of firms have info about reimbursement procedures on their website, btw.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:52 am

I've done a few callbacks with NYC firms this summer. I'm living and working in a NE city for the summer and for CBs just ask them what you should do about travel. Each firm I've met with has accommodated a round trip Amtrak ticket and one even offered to do the CB early Friday evening and then supply a hotel room for the night. Don't be afraid to ask as if it were a regular OCI callback they would definitely cover it!

Platinum

Postby 2014 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:13 pm

If it's apparent from your resume or communications with them that you aren't in NY for the summer I wouldn't think twice about requesting reimbursement for at least a train ticket and a room in a hotel if there's no reasonable train to get you home that evening.

If you somehow applied suggesting you are in NY for the summer (i.e. with a resume that didn't have your 1L job on it yet or by cover email that only volunteered your law school) then there's a chance the request will be met with irritation. If the latter, I'd wait to submit it until after you receive a decision either way just in case but i'd still expect it to get paid.

Return to “Legal Employment�