Why wouldn't an attorney be on the website

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Why wouldn't an attorney be on the website

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:29 am

Hi all,

I am doing some research on some attorneys I've networked with or know personally to get a better sense of whether I should follow their career paths or not. Thing is, although a couple of them claim to be an associate (one in biglaw, V30, and one at a boutique law firm) I cannot find them on their respective law firm websites. Both have been working at their firms for at least a year, one having been there for three or more. Not being able to find their firm profile is making it difficult to validate some things they have claimed to me in person.

So I'm just wondering, how long does it take for an associate to get up on the website (big law vs small law) / are there any reasons why a firm wouldn't make a website profile for one of their associates?

I'm Anon in case these people are on TLSF.

Anonymous User

Re: Why wouldn't an attorney be on the website

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:41 am

I know a few of my former law school classmates hold themselves out to be "associates" but are actually staff or "project" attorneys. Lots of firms do not list these non-partner track attorneys on their websites.

Platinum

Postby 2014 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:47 am

If you are talking about people still in their first years it may be an administrative delay if the person was admitted late or if the firm just takes a while to get first years up. If more senior, you know they've passed the bar and their firm generally lists associates then it probably means non-partner track or they are lying.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:54 am

I delayed my posting on website for over a year because I was very shy and avoided professional headshot appointments by our firm like a pro.

lolwat

Silver

Postby lolwat » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:56 am

2014 wrote:If you are talking about people still in their first years it may be an administrative delay if the person was admitted late or if the firm just takes a while to get first years up. If more senior, you know they've passed the bar and their firm generally lists associates then it probably means non-partner track or they are lying.

Yeah this, although it's generally less likely they're lying than the rest of these possibilities.

tomwatts

Gold

Postby tomwatts » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:24 pm

I'm pretty sure that one of my friends wasn't on his (large) firm's website until he had been there for more than two years. Some firms are just really slow about that kind of thing; they're not really selling themselves based on their third-year associates.

Return to “Legal Employment�