HLS EIP 2017

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: HLS EIP 2017

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:27 pm

Any dings from orrick sf?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone else feel like they severely messed up EIP and doesn't know why? I had decent grades and I bid widely in NYC. I'm told (by my mock interviewer) I'm a strong interviewer, but I have fewer callbacks than I had Hs last year. It's really getting to me.

Yes. Same number of cbs at Hs :( was just rejected at white and case Boston. Was anyone well above median rejected? I wish
I could figure out what I'm doing wrong here and how to fix it

Just out of curiosity - did you go to any of the receptions, or talk to any of the associates/interviewers at them? A few of my friends (especially those bidding Boston) seemed to think they really helped, because their interviewers would generally greet them with "it's so nice to see you again, you're interested in X, right?"

Meanwhile I'm over here sitting on 2 CBs out of 20 interviews, so...

Edit: oh hey, just got a ding from Vinson. Yay.

I feel ya- what markets r u targeting? Hope things turn around soon. This process is so bizarre. I really think my callbacks are more a function of the interviewers liking me or thinking some specific feature of my resume or questions or je ne se quoi (sic) or believing my story as opposed to some objective predictive factor like grades/mkt ties/etc. maybe it's more objective than Is apparent and the seeming black box is a function of not knowing the ( idiosyncratic?) criteria. Btw this post refers to firms where there aren't clear disqualifying grade cut offs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Wilson Sonsini Boston (SK) phone callback just now!

(I feel like another person for them in Boston posted something last week about getting a callback and I was all sad about not getting one. But yay!)

Original Anon:

Also, they were a Monday interview so it took over a week to get the call. So, holding out hope still for other places!

Yeah, I got a Holland & Knight CB today - interview was last Monday. Very weird, but exciting!

Congrats! For Boston people rejected by white and case -would you mind sharing general grades? Any idea if there are soft cutoffs?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

(I feel like another person for them in Boston posted something last week about getting a callback and I was all sad about not getting one. But yay!)

Original Anon:

Also, they were a Monday interview so it took over a week to get the call. So, holding out hope still for other places!

Yeah, I got a Holland & Knight CB today - interview was last Monday. Very weird, but exciting!

Congrats! For Boston people rejected by white and case -would you mind sharing general grades? Any idea if there are soft cutoffs?

It is not likely that there are grade cutoffs at White and Case. It's probably fit more than anything else. They do almost globa white collar work almost exclusively. You probably need to have a proven interest in that.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Original Anon:

I can assure you there are no grade cutoffs at White and Case. It's probably fit more than anything else. They do almost globa white collar work almost exclusively. You probably need to have a proven interest in that.

Also, they're hiring max 1-3 summers this year, and they haven't hired any previously since the office is so new, do they probably didn't give out many callbacks to begin with. Probably more fit than anything else.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:50 pm

I have heard about similar things from previous years where people with good grades didn't end up with satisfying cb/offers. One thing I have learned is that it is important to show them that you are genuinely interested in the firm and will stay loyal if they give you the offer. So don't ever say "I think working at ___ will give me a better opportunity to work at a different industry or a different city in the future." I have said similar things in my previous mock interview with OCS and didn't know why they didn't put exclamation points on it. That would be an immediate turn-off for real recruiters. Two is admittedly not an optimal number, but you only need one job offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Munger ding...but I don't care, because:
Gibson offer

Congrats! Mind if I ask when you heard from Munger? I'm still holding out hope, and have a Gibson interview this week

Also holding out hope for Munger! It'd be a dream come true honestly but I know it's a long shot for anyone

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Munger ding...but I don't care, because:
Gibson offer

Grats! I summered at Gibson this summer and loved it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:41 am

Any rejections from big name CA firms? Orrick SF?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:17 am

Any news (CB or ding) from Sidley DC (interviewers JT/CL) or Jones Day DC (JG/JW)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Original Anon:

I can assure you there are no grade cutoffs at White and Case. It's probably fit more than anything else. They do almost globa white collar work almost exclusively. You probably need to have a proven interest in that.

Also, they're hiring max 1-3 summers this year, and they haven't hired any previously since the office is so new, do they probably didn't give out many callbacks to begin with. Probably more fit than anything else.

If that is the case, it puzzles me that I got a transcript request from White & Case after the interview and the interview seemed to go well. Proven interest wouldn't show up on a 1L transcript? I got an official ding yesterday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:35 am

Nutter Boston ding.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:36 am

Has anyone heard from Choate or Mintz?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:41 am

Does anyone know which hotel Cravath books for you? I'm trying to figure out logistics in terms of train time, etc

gflaw2019

New

Postby gflaw2019 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:Nutter Boston ding.

Mail or email?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:05 am

Has anyone heard from Pillsbury DC or Williams & Connolly?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:06 am

gflaw2019 wrote:

Mail or email?

Email.

Have a lot of firms been sending out mail dings? I've moved since the address on my resume (and the HLS mailroom won't hold or forward my stuff..).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from Choate or Mintz?

Choate over the weekend. Nothing from Mintz.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know which hotel Cravath books for you? I'm trying to figure out logistics in terms of train time, etc

I'm pretty sure it's a hotel called The Pearl a couple blocks from their office

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from Choate or Mintz?

Choate over the weekend. Nothing from Mintz.

Choate cb on Sat (call), Mintz cb yesterday (email)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
gflaw2019 wrote:

Mail or email?

Email.

Have a lot of firms been sending out mail dings? I've moved since the address on my resume (and the HLS mailroom won't hold or forward my stuff..).

I'm unsure- I've gotten email dings but am sort of in the same boat, I haven't been to my resume address this week

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:16 am

Any Sidley NY (AF)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:22 am

Any Wilson Sonsini Boston dings? Mail or email?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any news (CB or ding) from Sidley DC (interviewers JT/CL) or Jones Day DC (JG/JW)?

How many rooms did Jones Day have for interviewing? I know of at least one person who got a CB over the weekend.

On a similar note, has anybody had any success by emailing interviewer? It's been a week since one of my interviews. I am tempted to reach out to them and reaffirm my interest.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from Pillsbury DC or Williams & Connolly?

Pillsbury D.C. (TA interviewer) CB on Friday night

Return to “Legal Employment?