JD CFA use?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 316274
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

JD CFA use?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:16 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm spending my 2L summer doing investment management work at a v100 firm. I'm not enjoying Law firm life and think a great way to transition out would be to go to a bank or fund in a couple of years. Would passing two levels of the CFA help with this or would it be a total waste of time?

Thanks in advance

User avatar
RedGiant

Bronze
Posts: 347
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:30 am

Re: JD CFA use?

Postby RedGiant » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:26 pm

I'm a JD/MBA (not concurrent) and I was once a bulge bracket analyst. I had a lot of roommates both pre-b-school and while in b-school who did the CFA. It's a ton of work. It's not an easy test. It's more highly valued on the buy side, but there's plenty of "regular" bankers who have a CFA. Could be a good plan, as long as you pace yourself, studying-wise. Definitely cheaper than going to b-school! There's a lot of desks on the capital markets side that value JD/MBAs. I say, go for it, knowing that you're a non-trad banking hire and there's a place for you!

Anonymous User
Posts: 316274
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: JD CFA use?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm spending my 2L summer doing investment management work at a v100 firm. I'm not enjoying Law firm life and think a great way to transition out would be to go to a bank or fund in a couple of years. Would passing two levels of the CFA help with this or would it be a total waste of time?

Thanks in advance


I took a level of the CFA my 2L year. It was very helpful when I was applying to fulltime finance jobs as a 3L.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316274
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: JD CFA use?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:08 am

Thanks for the reply! This makes sense; I know the CFA is a ton of work but it at least costs less/is less time heavy than an MBA when I have a BBA undergrad degree.
RedGiant wrote:I'm a JD/MBA (not concurrent) and I was once a bulge bracket analyst. I had a lot of roommates both pre-b-school and while in b-school who did the CFA. It's a ton of work. It's not an easy test. It's more highly valued on the buy side, but there's plenty of "regular" bankers who have a CFA. Could be a good plan, as long as you pace yourself, studying-wise. Definitely cheaper than going to b-school! There's a lot of desks on the capital markets side that value JD/MBAs. I say, go for it, knowing that you're a non-trad banking hire and there's a place for you!

Anonymous User
Posts: 316274
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: JD CFA use?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:08 am

Ok this is great to know! Are you liking finance more than law? And how did you include it on your resume?

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm spending my 2L summer doing investment management work at a v100 firm. I'm not enjoying Law firm life and think a great way to transition out would be to go to a bank or fund in a couple of years. Would passing two levels of the CFA help with this or would it be a total waste of time?

Thanks in advance


I took a level of the CFA my 2L year. It was very helpful when I was applying to fulltime finance jobs as a 3L.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316274
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: JD CFA use?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:Ok this is great to know! Are you liking finance more than law? And how did you include it on your resume?

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm spending my 2L summer doing investment management work at a v100 firm. I'm not enjoying Law firm life and think a great way to transition out would be to go to a bank or fund in a couple of years. Would passing two levels of the CFA help with this or would it be a total waste of time?

Thanks in advance


I took a level of the CFA my 2L year. It was very helpful when I was applying to fulltime finance jobs as a 3L.


It will be trickier for you since all you can put is "CFA Level 1 candidate".

I actually took a corporate associate gig. I was recruiting for corporate development and the pay was somewhere around $100k all in, which I couldn't swing at the moment.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316274
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: JD CFA use?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the reply! This makes sense; I know the CFA is a ton of work but it at least costs less/is less time heavy than an MBA when I have a BBA undergrad degree.
RedGiant wrote:I'm a JD/MBA (not concurrent) and I was once a bulge bracket analyst. I had a lot of roommates both pre-b-school and while in b-school who did the CFA. It's a ton of work. It's not an easy test. It's more highly valued on the buy side, but there's plenty of "regular" bankers who have a CFA. Could be a good plan, as long as you pace yourself, studying-wise. Definitely cheaper than going to b-school! There's a lot of desks on the capital markets side that value JD/MBAs. I say, go for it, knowing that you're a non-trad banking hire and there's a place for you!


I am the exception, but I went to b-school very young, and then finished law school at 37. I'm a first year associate in corporate, but I worked as a paralegal in corporate a long time ago too, so sort of returning to my roots. GL on the CFA.



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.