IP Lit or Corporate?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

IP Lit or Corporate

IP Lit
5
50%
Corporate
5
50%
 
Total votes: 10

Anonymous User
Posts: 313002
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

IP Lit or Corporate?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:12 pm

Which practice area is generally though of as being better? What are the pros and cons of each?

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold
Posts: 1545
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:42 am

Re: IP Lit or Corporate?

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:30 pm

No one will be able to help you with this. They are totally different practice areas. This is like someone asking a doctor's forum: (a) geriatrics or (b) cardiac surgery? It really depends on you. It would be better to tell us what you're good at and what you like to do, and ask for guidance on what you're suited to do.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313002
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: IP Lit or Corporate?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:12 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:No one will be able to help you with this. They are totally different practice areas. This is like someone asking a doctor's forum: (a) geriatrics or (b) cardiac surgery? It really depends on you. It would be better to tell us what you're good at and what you like to do, and ask for guidance on what you're suited to do.



I am hoping to avoid the focus on the likelihood of transitioning to IP Lit or corporate that inevitably comes with providing details of my situation, so I will keep it generic.

I am currently practicing in business related litigation. I have an engineering degree and background, so transitioning into patent litigation makes a lot of sense. I like a lot of aspects of litigation, like the fact that I get to write a good amount, getting out of the office when going to court, and interacting with other attorneys, clients, and judges on a regular basis. However, recently I have not been very satisfied overall practicing litigation. Perhaps its partly due to the type of clients I work with, but at the end of the day I feel I may be doing more harm than good to society. With patent litigation, it seems like this part of the job may not change because I will not be picking my clients.

Corporate seems less adversarial and the idea of helping small business and even large corporations solve their legal problems appeals to me as a way to do something constructive by helping to create something positive. But I have heard that corporate hours can be brutally long at times and unpredictable. Also, the idea of sitting in front of a computer for days drafting contracts seems like it would be mind numbing. But I don't know exactly what corporate lawyers do all day. Compensation is also a factor.

I am really looking for peoples general impression on IP litigation and corporate law. To use your medical example, i.e. geriatrics is growing but old people are hard to deal with and cardiac surgeons are seen as more presitgous but the field is more competitive (I have no idea if this is true).
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
RedGiant

Bronze
Posts: 347
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:30 am

Re: IP Lit or Corporate?

Postby RedGiant » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:28 pm

The credited response, given your explanation, is Tech Transactions. You do the IP aspects of deals and help companies protect their IP from a strategy standpoint (not writing patents--the strategy of what and how to patent), and then also help with licensing and the like. It's an in-demand area and straddles between lit and corp nicely. Check out job descriptions for Tech Trans and you'll see more of what I mean!

Anonymous User
Posts: 313002
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: IP Lit or Corporate?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:37 pm

RedGiant wrote:The credited response, given your explanation, is Tech Transactions. You do the IP aspects of deals and help companies protect their IP from a strategy standpoint (not writing patents--the strategy of what and how to patent), and then also help with licensing and the like. It's an in-demand area and straddles between lit and corp nicely. Check out job descriptions for Tech Trans and you'll see more of what I mean!


Hey thanks, that is a great point! I have come across some tech transfer jobs browsing the job boards. I will defiantly look more into tech transfer jobs.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313002
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: IP Lit or Corporate?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:No one will be able to help you with this. They are totally different practice areas. This is like someone asking a doctor's forum: (a) geriatrics or (b) cardiac surgery? It really depends on you. It would be better to tell us what you're good at and what you like to do, and ask for guidance on what you're suited to do.



I am hoping to avoid the focus on the likelihood of transitioning to IP Lit or corporate that inevitably comes with providing details of my situation, so I will keep it generic.

I am currently practicing in business related litigation. I have an engineering degree and background, so transitioning into patent litigation makes a lot of sense. I like a lot of aspects of litigation, like the fact that I get to write a good amount, getting out of the office when going to court, and interacting with other attorneys, clients, and judges on a regular basis. However, recently I have not been very satisfied overall practicing litigation. Perhaps its partly due to the type of clients I work with, but at the end of the day I feel I may be doing more harm than good to society. With patent litigation, it seems like this part of the job may not change because I will not be picking my clients.

Corporate seems less adversarial and the idea of helping small business and even large corporations solve their legal problems appeals to me as a way to do something constructive by helping to create something positive. But I have heard that corporate hours can be brutally long at times and unpredictable. Also, the idea of sitting in front of a computer for days drafting contracts seems like it would be mind numbing. But I don't know exactly what corporate lawyers do all day. Compensation is also a factor.

I am really looking for peoples' general impression on IP litigation and corporate law. To use your medical example, i.e. geriatrics is growing but old people are hard to deal with and cardiac surgeons are seen as more presitgous but the field is more competitive (I have no idea if this is true).

User avatar
elendinel

Silver
Posts: 975
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:29 pm

Re: IP Lit or Corporate?

Postby elendinel » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:48 am

I'd second transactions. It's hard to tell from your post whether you were thinking IP lit because you want to go into IP or whether you're just assuming it's a place to go because of your engineering background, especially since your alternative is generic corporate. if you do actually think patents are interesting, tech transactions would be a good move. If you don't, there are other transactions jobs (like M&A transactions, etc.). Trans will involve a lot of deals, a lot of interactions with clients/opposing counsel, and isn't as adversarial as lit. You'd need to have a basic understanding of patents, but nothing crazy.

I'd maybe just add that IP portfolio strategy has usually been more on the pros side than the trans side, IME. Largely because determining how/what to patent requires an understanding of what you can patent and how difficult it would be to get a patent on something, which usually requires more than a surface-level understanding of pros (which many trans attorneys don't have/don't need to have). On the trans side I've usually seen attorneys help clients figure out whether a patent is worth acquiring/licensing, helping to evaluate how much the patent is worth, and trying to build out the portfolio from that vantage point. If actually figuring out what to patent before a patent's been written's the part of the job description that jumps out to you, I'd either consider learning more about what pros attorneys do, or I'd be sure to figure out to what extent trans attorneys get involved in that at the firms you interview with.



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.