3.3 at t20, any shot at biglaw?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3.3 at t20, any shot at biglaw?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:03 pm

I struggled my first semester, improved second semester.
I am on moot court. Any shot at DC biglaw? I am not picky about the firm, I just wanna get to DC if I can.

favabeansoup

Bronze

Re: 3.3 at t20, any shot at biglaw?

Postby favabeansoup » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I struggled my first semester, improved second semester.
I am on moot court. Any shot at DC biglaw? I am not picky about the firm, I just wanna get to DC if I can.

Re biglaw: Maybe if you are open to a lot of different markets.

Re DC biglaw: Heavily depends on what specific school you are talking about. If this puts you around median ish at USC? Probably no shot. Median ish at Vandy? Maybe if you have superior networking abilities, but still big uphill.

Jmart082

Bronze

Postby Jmart082 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:40 pm

Probably not. I'd focus on finding work in a midsize and lateraling or if you're not debt-averse, rebranding with an MBA or additional degree from a top-flight program.

ND2018

New

Postby ND2018 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:55 pm

I go to a t20. My GPA was a little higher than yours and I snagged big law through OCI--it can be done. I am not in DC. That being said, I have a buddy who had similar grades to mine who got v20 DC biglaw. However, that firm hires a ton of grads from my school and he started networking with the firm in like November of 1L. Get on your horse w/r/t networking and mass mailing and there is shot you can get DC. Best of luck.

BulletTooth

Bronze

Postby BulletTooth » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:11 pm

It will be an uphill battle but definitely possible. I would definitely start networking with firms that have hired alumni from school with similar GPAs. It's still fairly early in the summer, so it's the perfect time to try and get your foot in the door at a few firms before OCI rolls around.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:52 am

OP here. Thank you for the advice. I'm at ND so not a DC school.

What about low ranking big law? I don't care about getting in a v20 or whatever, beggars can't be choosers so I'd essentially go to any biglaw firm.

Also, where can I find midlaw firms where I would have a shot?

Return to “Legal Employment�