Rising 2L T-20, Sub-3.0 GPA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Rising 2L T-20, Sub-3.0 GPA

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:41 pm

Yes, here's another question about this issue. I searched but most of the advice seemed to be outdated (nearly 10 years old) or not really helpful given my situation.

Anyways......

OCI bids for my school begins in a couple of days, and I have no idea how to arrange my bids giving my current status. I need to identify firms that have taken students with GPAs on the lower end of the scale and concentrate on those firms but I am having problems identifying who those firms are. I emailed my Career Services contact, and she said that the school doesn't keep data on firm cutoff gpas.

I would love to either stay in the South or the Northeast, but at this point I just want a job that will pay me enough to stay out of debt. I'm hoping for a big increase in my 2L grades, but obviously that does not do me any good at the moment.

I am bilingual and I currently intern at a Fortune 500 company. My resume is the typical K-JD one. I have a strong interest in doing transactional work and I plan on doing moot court in the fall

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Re: Rising 2L T-20, Sub-3.0 GPA

Postby PeanutsNJam » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:02 pm

You're going to have to mass mail to all of the firms in the local area where you T20 is located; that's where the name of your school will have the most pull. You don't have the luxury of being choosy about a particular firm or a particular practice area. Your number one goal would be to get a job. Apply directly to literally every firm, even if they're "not hiring," in the region your school is in.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:17 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:You're going to have to mass mail to all of the firms in the local area where you T20 is located; that's where the name of your school will have the most pull. You don't have the luxury of being choosy about a particular firm or a particular practice area. Your number one goal would be to get a job. Apply directly to literally every firm, even if they're "not hiring," in the region your school is in.

Should I remove the GPA off of my resume?

BulletTooth

Bronze

Postby BulletTooth » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:You're going to have to mass mail to all of the firms in the local area where you T20 is located; that's where the name of your school will have the most pull. You don't have the luxury of being choosy about a particular firm or a particular practice area. Your number one goal would be to get a job. Apply directly to literally every firm, even if they're "not hiring," in the region your school is in.

I think it depends on how far below 3.0 you are. If you are close (e.g., a 2.8 or 2.9), I think I would keep it on there. Anything lower and it may be best to take it off--you could ask you career services office to see what they suggest--they may have a better idea of how students in your GPA range have been successful. I definitely agree that mass mailing is the way to go.

Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:30 pm

BulletTooth wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I think it depends on how far below 3.0 you are. If you are close (e.g., a 2.8 or 2.9), I think I would keep it on there. Anything lower and it may be best to take it off--you could ask you career services office to see what they suggest--they may have a better idea of how students in your GPA range have been successful. I definitely agree that mass mailing is the way to go.

Good luck!

I am at a 2.89. A C+ in of my classes took me out :/

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:47 pm

Anon because outs my school.

I have access to UCLA's 2016 OCI data, and the only firms that gave call-backs to UCLA students with sub-3.0 GPA were a hand full of small local LA firms and public interest organizations that participate in OCI. Goodwin Proctor also apparently gave a callback to somebody with a 2.9, but that seems like it was an aberration, a URM, or a typo.

You will almost certainly strike out completely at OCI, but you can use this information to maximize your chances at OCI by solely bidding on small local firms who participate in your OCI, and gunning hard for these firms. You don't have a shot at national mid/biglaw, at least not through OCI.

I agree with the others that you need to start mass mailing.

Return to “Legal Employment�