Lateralling and Practice Group Marketability

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateralling and Practice Group Marketability

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:57 am

I am 2015 grad who started in a biglaw office (400+ attorneys, main office) in a secondary market (think Columbus, Cincinnati, St. Louis). I practice real property law (transactional), and I enjoy my practice area. That said, my wife wants to return home to Chicago, so we're both gearing up to apply for new jobs. I went to school in Chicago (NU or UC) and have minimal ties, but I'm from this particular secondary market.

I've been fortunate to work on a variety of deals, including drafting purchase agreements, leases, and negotiating loan documents (borrower-side mainly). I'd like to continue working in real estate, but I'm not opposed to working in finance or a corporate practice generally. As a real estate associate, am I qualified to apply for a finance/debt type position or corporate practice generally, or has that ship sailed? If anyone has experience applying for jobs that aren't exactly on point with their previous position, I'd greatly appreciate some advice or recommendations.

My info: T14, top 1/3ish (approx. as the school does not rank), Editorial Board of LR (if that even matters anymore).

nealric

Re: Lateralling and Practice Group Marketability

Postby nealric » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am 2015 grad who started in a biglaw office (400+ attorneys, main office) in a secondary market (think Columbus, Cincinnati, St. Louis). I practice real property law (transactional), and I enjoy my practice area. That said, my wife wants to return home to Chicago, so we're both gearing up to apply for new jobs. I went to school in Chicago (NU or UC) and have minimal ties, but I'm from this particular secondary market.

I've been fortunate to work on a variety of deals, including drafting purchase agreements, leases, and negotiating loan documents (borrower-side mainly). I'd like to continue working in real estate, but I'm not opposed to working in finance or a corporate practice generally. As a real estate associate, am I qualified to apply for a finance/debt type position or corporate practice generally, or has that ship sailed? If anyone has experience applying for jobs that aren't exactly on point with their previous position, I'd greatly appreciate some advice or recommendations.

My info: T14, top 1/3ish (approx. as the school does not rank), Editorial Board of LR (if that even matters anymore).

I think you'd have a shot at most flavors of corporate practice, but some firms will make you take a class-year demotion if you are coming into a different practice area. Tap your friends who went into the Chi market- they should have a very good idea what firms need people and could be valuable ins. Don't rely on job postings or recruiters. Find firms you want to work for, and then find connections.

Return to “Legal Employment�