Advice for 3L re mass mailing timing/format

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Advice for 3L re mass mailing timing/format

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:29 pm

Hey everyone,

First I would like to say that I have checked some of the threads here and didn't see an answer, but if you know of one that has answers please link me.

I am a rising 3L that is looking to send out information to firms in the practice area/geographic location I want to work at after law school. I graduate May 2018. When should I send these out? Also, since it is a cold email, should I create a cover letter or just send my resume? If a cover letter is useful, should it be something like one or two paragraphs in the email + attached resume, or should it be its own attachment?

Thanks for the advice.

Anonymous User

Re: Advice for 3L re mass mailing timing/format

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey everyone,

First I would like to say that I have checked some of the threads here and didn't see an answer, but if you know of one that has answers please link me.

I am a rising 3L that is looking to send out information to firms in the practice area/geographic location I want to work at after law school. I graduate May 2018. When should I send these out? Also, since it is a cold email, should I create a cover letter or just send my resume? If a cover letter is useful, should it be something like one or two paragraphs in the email + attached resume, or should it be its own attachment?

Thanks for the advice.

More than enough time for you to turn those cold call emails into an email to someone you actually know, or have been introduced to.
It may be too early to be mass mailing for jobs, but you should email partners/associates directly that went to your school and/or are in a practice group you are interested in.

Kindly ask if they would mind hopping on a brief call with you because you had some questions about their practice. Include your resume as a point of reference. Ask what classes you should take for a practice area like theirs. Ask about their stories, etc. Even in a market like NYC - the right tone and humility will get Biglaw partners to agree to hope on a call with you.

Return to “Legal Employment�