Picking a Practice Group

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Picking a Practice Group

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:08 am

Current 2L SA, stuck deciding between litigation and a transactional group as to what to practice when I come back. How did you guys weigh different factors when making this decision (getting along with people, the substance of the work, hours, prestige of the group, exit options, etc). Could really use some help, thanks! :)

Anonymous User

Re: Picking a Practice Group

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Current 2L SA, stuck deciding between litigation and a transactional group as to what to practice when I come back. How did you guys weigh different factors when making this decision (getting along with people, the substance of the work, hours, prestige of the group, exit options, etc). Could really use some help, thanks! :)

lol, it depends on your firm.

nick417

Bronze

Postby nick417 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:57 pm

This is a tough question. Because who you work with is probably the most important factor to whether you like the job However, picking a practice because you like a certain group of people is not always the best move. Associates come and go in big law. Half the associates you know as a SA will probably not be there when you start (or will be gone by the time you are through your first year). Second, partners are hard to judge when you are a SA. Everyone seems fun and nice.... but you really don't get to see someone's personality until you start working with them.

Thus I would suggest picking the practice area you like better. (1) it will probably be your practice area for life (even if/when you leave the firm), and (2) you can hopefully find enjoyment in the work you do even if the people are not the best.

deepseapartners

Bronze

Postby deepseapartners » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:47 pm

Which transactional practice group are you thinking about? If it's like bankruptcy or antitrust, then you should def follow the above advice about choosing which one you like the best. If it's between lit and M&A, then you should probably do some more introspective thinking about what kind of legal work, broadly speaking, you are interested in.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:19 pm

deepseapartners wrote:Which transactional practice group are you thinking about? If it's like bankruptcy or antitrust, then you should def follow the above advice about choosing which one you like the best. If it's between lit and M&A, then you should probably do some more introspective thinking about what kind of legal work, broadly speaking, you are interested in.

Why the difference between bankruptcy and M&A? Just curious

Effingham

Bronze

Postby Effingham » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
deepseapartners wrote:Which transactional practice group are you thinking about? If it's like bankruptcy or antitrust, then you should def follow the above advice about choosing which one you like the best. If it's between lit and M&A, then you should probably do some more introspective thinking about what kind of legal work, broadly speaking, you are interested in.

I think the question is more of an, are you debating between broad types of law, like corporate and lit, or groups within one of the broader sets, like tax vs. employee benefits?

umichman

Bronze

Postby umichman » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I assume it because bankruptcy is a specialty group that kind of does its own thing in most firms. M&a is more just general corporate. Bankruptcy involves much different activities like litigation-ish stuff and is code based. So basically if you pick bk you are picking a more niche specialty area whereas m&a has a more general applicability to other corp groups

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Current 2L SA, stuck deciding between litigation and a transactional group as to what to practice when I come back. How did you guys weigh different factors when making this decision (getting along with people, the substance of the work, hours, prestige of the group, exit options, etc). Could really use some help, thanks! :)

It's weird that you're asking us about the bolded when you work at the firm and we don't.

Here's my suggestion: Over the final weeks of your SA, really try to figure out if you'd prefer lit or trans. They're very different. I would've been absolutely miserable as a transactional associate, but I know folks who feel the opposite.

If you don't have a preference by the end of the summer, that's actually a pretty bad sign, but I guess at that point I'd pick trans because the in-house exit options are generally better.

nrthwst4now

New

Postby nrthwst4now » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:41 am

rpupkin wrote:

It's weird that you're asking us about the bolded when you work at the firm and we don't.

Here's my suggestion: Over the final weeks of your SA, really try to figure out if you'd prefer lit or trans. They're very different. I would've been absolutely miserable as a transactional associate, but I know folks who feel the opposite.

If you don't have a preference by the end of the summer, that's actually a pretty bad sign, but I guess at that point I'd pick trans because the in-house exit options are generally better.

This is interesting. I am preparing for OCI right now and some people are suggesting I really pick either lit or transaction before interview and show some flexibility within those categories. Does it hurt chances to be open to either (with a solid explanation as to why)?

Bobby_Axelrod

New

Postby Bobby_Axelrod » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:18 pm

rpupkin wrote:

Re bolded: Is this because it prob means you're gonna hate your job either way? If so, then uh oh..

deepseapartners

Bronze

Postby deepseapartners » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:07 pm

nrthwst4now wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

This is interesting. I am preparing for OCI right now and some people are suggesting I really pick either lit or transaction before interview and show some flexibility within those categories. Does it hurt chances to be open to either (with a solid explanation as to why)?

It'll only hurt your chances if you say you want to do M&A at Boies or Quinn, but that's more of a general (but extremely important) point to remember what each firm you interview with mostly does or doesn't do.

gchatbrah

Bronze

Postby gchatbrah » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:19 pm

Word on the street is Cov LA desperate for untrained M&A talent.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:15 pm

rpupkin wrote:

I don't think OP is asking what the bolded is like at his/her firm, I think OP is asking how important each of those things are and how much each should influence a decision. As in, if lit has awesome people and prestige but terrible hours and you're doing doc reviews for years...but corporate has terrible people but manageable hours, how do you weigh the two?

OP, I take it you legitimately did not prefer one over the other during your summer? Did you take work from both groups? Was there a favorite person you enjoyed working with? A favorite assignment you got? A specific case/matter that you found yourself wishing you could continue to work on?

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Postby FascinatedWanderer » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:16 pm

How is it possible to not have a preference between two vastly different practices in which the day to day work is completely different?

nrthwst4now

New

Postby nrthwst4now » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:03 pm

FascinatedWanderer wrote:How is it possible to not have a preference between two vastly different practices in which the day to day work is completely different?

I guess the answer is to have an equal interest in two vastly different practices in which the day to day work is completely different?

Return to “Legal Employment�