New York City Salaries

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
MRNG

New

New York City Salaries

Postby MRNG » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:01 pm

Hello everyone,

I recently graduated from law school (May 2017) and I am registered to take the NY bar. Due to family circumstances, I am looking to move to the East Coast and work in NYC. I have experience in criminal defense (several public defender jobs in 3 different states at both the federal and state level) and personal injury (4+ years as a legal assistant and then a law clerk). While looking at jobs in NYC, all the postings require the applicant to submit the salary desired. However, I have no idea how much are NYC lawyers paid. Can anyone give me an estimate for first-year associate salary in personal injury or criminal defense? I've applied to public defender jobs but their salary might not cut it with the cost of living in NYC. At this point, I prefer to go private (for the sake of survival). I will greatly appreciate any information. Thank you in advance.

1styearlateral

Silver

Re: New York City Salaries

Postby 1styearlateral » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:40 pm

My guess, not working in that practice area but in NYC, is anywhere from 45-65. Probably not more than that, especially just starting out, and more likely to be on the lower end.

Return to “Legal Employment�