Firms with best exit opps

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 316648
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Firms with best exit opps

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:41 am

Hi all . In preparing my bidlist I am interested in getting a general sense of what firms have the best exit opportunities for associates. I don't plan on being in big law for anything more than 5 years so this is really important to me. I want the option to move into a government role, if I am able to break the DC market, or move in house if I decide to stay in New York. Do you all have any general knowledge on which NYC and DC firms are best for either of those two transitions and by contrast what firms do not perform as well in this aspect? ( Btw I am median at CCN if thats relevant) Thanks!

User avatar
hangold

New
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:25 am

Re: Firms with best exit opps

Postby hangold » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:57 am

Sorry to say, but the answer to your question isn't going to be as simple as listing a few firms. Exit opportunities are going to vary depending on the practice group, which clients the firm interacts with, etc. For instance, it'll be easier (but still not easy) to become an AUSA from DPW's lit practice than from Weil (just an example, nothing wrong with Weil).

User avatar
North

Gold
Posts: 4228
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Firms with best exit opps

Postby North » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:05 am

hangold wrote:the answer to your question isn't going to be as simple as listing a few firms.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316648
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firms with best exit opps

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:53 am

hangold wrote:Sorry to say, but the answer to your question isn't going to be as simple as listing a few firms. Exit opportunities are going to vary depending on the practice group, which clients the firm interacts with, etc. For instance, it'll be easier (but still not easy) to become an AUSA from DPW's lit practice than from Weil (just an example, nothing wrong with Weil).


to be fair, thats still overgeneralizing..it would be a stretch to say that is for sure "easier" to become an AUSA from DPW than at Weil. Exits vary incredibly widely from place to place and often times will even depend on the specific deals/cases you work on while at a particular firm.

User avatar
rpupkin

Platinum
Posts: 5658
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Firms with best exit opps

Postby rpupkin » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:59 am

hangold wrote:For instance, it'll be easier (but still not easy) to become an AUSA from DPW's lit practice than from Weil (just an example, nothing wrong with Weil).

Why?

Anonymous User
Posts: 316648
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firms with best exit opps

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:44 pm

Generally, exit options depend on your experience. So the important thing is to go to a reputable firm and start doing work that can set you up for the next gig, assuming you don't want to make partner at your current firm.

There are some firms where your experience will matter less and employers will give you the benefit of the doubt such as associates from WLKR, W&C, Susman etc, but the associates at those places generally have impressive resumes even relative to the already stellar resumes that most law firm associates have.

FluidMosaic

New
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:42 am

Re: Firms with best exit opps

Postby FluidMosaic » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all . In preparing my bidlist I am interested in getting a general sense of what firms have the best exit opportunities for associates. I don't plan on being in big law for anything more than 5 years so this is really important to me. I want the option to move into a government role, if I am able to break the DC market, or move in house if I decide to stay in New York. Do you all have any general knowledge on which NYC and DC firms are best for either of those two transitions and by contrast what firms do not perform as well in this aspect? ( Btw I am median at CCN if thats relevant) Thanks!



Unless you can get real competitive firms at OCI, I'd say whichever consulting firms do OCI at your school.

lawlorbust

Bronze
Posts: 425
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:50 am

Re: Firms with best exit opps

Postby lawlorbust » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all . In preparing my bidlist I am interested in getting a general sense of what firms have the best exit opportunities for associates. I don't plan on being in big law for anything more than 5 years so this is really important to me. I want the option to move into a government role, if I am able to break the DC market, or move in house if I decide to stay in New York. Do you all have any general knowledge on which NYC and DC firms are best for either of those two transitions and by contrast what firms do not perform as well in this aspect? ( Btw I am median at CCN if thats relevant) Thanks!


McKinsey, BCG, Bain

User avatar
deepseapartners

Bronze
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:49 pm

Re: Firms with best exit opps

Postby deepseapartners » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:55 pm

OP, why did you say "either in-house in NYC or government in DC?" Those are two pretty different career paths after a certain point, do you not have an idea of what kind of role you want after you transition out of Biglaw? Or are you being generic on purpose because you actually really don't care and just want out asap? If the latter, then you should be able to get a sweet in-house gig from any of the V10 corporate practices within a few years, assuming you do good work, are likeable, etc. But it kinda sounds like you are asking for more general life advice, in which case you won't get a solid answer until you give more info about what you see yourself doing in 5 years, or even what you like about legal work.



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.