Student Westlaw Account

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
KijiStewart

Bronze
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:00 pm

Student Westlaw Account

Postby KijiStewart » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:45 pm

Do you guys agree that since the small firm I've been clerking for this summer expected me to use my student account that it wasn't my place to ask them to pay for my searches. They are paying me salary if that means anything.

I know its wrong, I just didn't feel it was my place and quite frankly didn't think it would be right if I personally foot the cost.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Student Westlaw Account

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:55 pm

You get charged for your student account?

KijiStewart

Bronze
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:00 pm

Re: Student Westlaw Account

Postby KijiStewart » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You get charged for your student account?


Word is my school has an agreement with Westlaw where they don't pay for it, neither do we so long as we agree to terms of use not to use it in connection with non-educational purposes

RaceJudicata

Gold
Posts: 1726
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:51 pm

Re: Student Westlaw Account

Postby RaceJudicata » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:16 pm

KijiStewart wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:You get charged for your student account?


Word is my school has an agreement with Westlaw where they don't pay for it, neither do we so long as we agree to terms of use not to use it in connection with non-educational purposes


They (school/westlaw) will never find out about this...unless you tell them.

Bluem_11

Bronze
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:03 pm

Re: Student Westlaw Account

Postby Bluem_11 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:41 pm

There's certainly a little dancing around some ethical lines here, especially if you print a case and in bold letters it says EDUCATIONAL USE ONLY at the top when you hand it to a partner.

That being said, I've seen it done many times before.

RaceJudicata

Gold
Posts: 1726
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:51 pm

Re: Student Westlaw Account

Postby RaceJudicata » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:26 am

Bluem_11 wrote:There's certainly a little dancing around some ethical lines here, especially if you print a case and in bold letters it says EDUCATIONAL USE ONLY at the top when you hand it to a partner.

That being said, I've seen it done many times before.


Not to give 'unethical' advice...but download it as a word doc and delete that top line.

KijiStewart

Bronze
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:00 pm

Re: Student Westlaw Account

Postby KijiStewart » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:50 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
Bluem_11 wrote:There's certainly a little dancing around some ethical lines here, especially if you print a case and in bold letters it says EDUCATIONAL USE ONLY at the top when you hand it to a partner.

That being said, I've seen it done many times before.


Not to give 'unethical' advice...but download it as a word doc and delete that top line.


I just feel there's clearly an ethical violation here.

The firm knows it too because we have many alums from my TT.

Is the purely ethical thing to do to inform the firm I will buy my own subscription (I feel like that even violates the firm's term of use contract because each firm has a firm specific WL contract). Telling the firm, add me to the # of people who use WL seems impossible ..

User avatar
jchiles

Silver
Posts: 1267
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: Student Westlaw Account

Postby jchiles » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:57 pm

Idk what to tell you man but come on don't go buying an individual westlaw subscription for three months.

TTTTescapee

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:32 am

Re: Student Westlaw Account

Postby TTTTescapee » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:04 pm

Internship = educational purpose. Surely people can't be this paranoid...

RaceJudicata

Gold
Posts: 1726
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:51 pm

Re: Student Westlaw Account

Postby RaceJudicata » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:06 pm

jchiles wrote:Idk what to tell you man but come on don't go buying an individual westlaw subscription for three months.


Ya this. Also, do you have any clue how much that would cost you? I guarantee it's a lot more than you think.

GreenEggs

Gold
Posts: 3593
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:55 pm

Re: Student Westlaw Account

Postby GreenEggs » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:14 pm

TTTTescapee wrote:Internship = educational purpose. Surely people can't be this paranoid...


I thought it was WestLaw and Lexis official position that you can use your accounts for summer internships (and are encouraged to do so)
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TTTTescapee

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:32 am

Re: Student Westlaw Account

Postby TTTTescapee » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:25 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:
TTTTescapee wrote:Internship = educational purpose. Surely people can't be this paranoid...


I thought it was WestLaw and Lexis official position that you can use your accounts for summer internships (and are encouraged to do so)

That's what our reps constantly told us. Even if you "couldn't" an internship is most certainly educational.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29306
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Student Westlaw Account

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:28 pm

Working for a firm isn't an internship, it's a job. Westlaw still doesn't let you use your account when working for a firm. https://lawschool.westlaw.com/marketing/display/MI/473

GreenEggs

Gold
Posts: 3593
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:55 pm

Re: Student Westlaw Account

Postby GreenEggs » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:29 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Working for a firm isn't an internship, it's a job. Westlaw still doesn't let you use your account when working for a firm. https://lawschool.westlaw.com/marketing/display/MI/473


Unpaid they do.

But I do see that OP is paid
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29306
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Student Westlaw Account

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:30 pm

It's against DOL regulations to do an unpaid internship with a private employer, though.

KijiStewart

Bronze
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:00 pm

Re: Student Westlaw Account

Postby KijiStewart » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:31 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Working for a firm isn't an internship, it's a job. Westlaw still doesn't let you use your account when working for a firm. https://lawschool.westlaw.com/marketing/display/MI/473


Unpaid they do.

But I do see that OP is paid


Also, apparently my TT goes apeshit if they find out (it's an honor code violation)

GreenEggs

Gold
Posts: 3593
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:55 pm

Re: Student Westlaw Account

Postby GreenEggs » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:31 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:It's against DOL regulations to do an unpaid internship with a private employer, though.


lol
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29306
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Student Westlaw Account

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:33 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:It's against DOL regulations to do an unpaid internship with a private employer, though.


lol

My point is that I doubt Westlaw is saying "go for it at your unpaid internship with a firm" when DOL doesn't allow students to do unpaid internships at a firm.

It's also stupid to work unpaid for a private employer, though.



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.