Anyone knows about Shotkin Zhang & Associates - NY? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
nerd1

Bronze

Re: Anyone knows about Shotkin Zhang & Associates - NY?

Post by nerd1 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Oh god. Why would anyone even consider here... it's like a random firm on the street of Beijing poached next to a courthouse, doing random litigation and collecting debt with gangs...
A person working at any firm in Beijing is probably a lot smarter than someone working at a DC firm. It’s far harder to get into university in China than in the US. Also, the competition far exceeds the US with the Chinese having much higher math/science/reading levels at the same ages, especially those out of the Hong Kong or Macau systems. Peking University and Tsinghua's admission standards make schools like Harvard or Stanford look like a joke.

You’d have to be brilliant if you were working at a Beijing firm that represented Chinese gangs. Chinese gang members, especially ones with international ties tend to very educated and white collar https://torontolife.com/city/crime/breaking-brian-shin/
Keep going lol
Last edited by QContinuum on Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Oh god. Why would anyone even consider here... it's like a random firm on the street of Beijing poached next to a courthouse, doing random litigation and collecting debt with gangs...
A person working at any firm in Beijing is probably a lot smarter than someone working at a DC firm. It’s far harder to get into university in China than in the US. Also, the competition far exceeds the US with the Chinese having much higher math/science/reading levels at the same ages, especially those out of the Hong Kong or Macau systems. Peking University and Tsinghua's admission standards make schools like Harvard or Stanford look like a joke.

You’d have to be brilliant if you were working at a Beijing firm that represented Chinese gangs. Chinese gang members, especially ones with international ties tend to very educated and white collar https://torontolife.com/city/crime/breaking-brian-shin/
lol who knew xi jinping posted on tls
lol like you'd last academically in China.
I can cheat with the best of them.

malibustacy

Bronze

Post by malibustacy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Just because you were able to bash your head against a rock harder than your peers memorizing useless ass facts and tidbits in a deliberate cutthroat weeder system they call an "education" doesn't make you smarter, more creative, or better able to do business. It just means the system is cruel and stupid, with some of the highest suicide and depression rates in the world.

A Beijing firm person isn't "smarter". He or she just proved that they can sit their ass down in a chair fifteen hours a day and memorize a book for most of their life.

Aptitude

New

Post by Aptitude » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:44 pm

malibustacy wrote: A Beijing firm person isn't "smarter". He or she just proved that they can sit their ass down in a chair fifteen hours a day and memorize a book for most of their life.
That sounds like law school or working as an Attorney in the U.S. There's tons of math and science talent in China. Their 2nd, 3rd rate Engineers come to the U.S. to take $250,000+ Software Engineer jobs all the time because there aren't enough smart people in the U.S. Your insecurity shows, you'd never last in China. You're better off pounding and memorizing your law books.
Last edited by QContinuum on Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
malibustacy wrote: A Beijing firm person isn't "smarter". He or she just proved that they can sit their ass down in a chair fifteen hours a day and memorize a book for most of their life.
That sounds like law school or working as an Attorney in the U.S. There's tons of math and science talent in China. Their 2nd, 3rd rate Engineers come to the U.S. to take $250,000+ Software Engineer jobs all the time because there aren't enough smart people in the U.S. Your insecurity shows, you'd never last in China. You're better off pounding and memorizing your law books.
Good thing we aren’t in China!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JonTheMandamus

New

Post by JonTheMandamus » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:23 am

Any other thread and the flag-measuring contest would be solid entertainment, but please let's not dilute the focus of this amazing thread.

JohnnieSockran

Bronze

Post by JohnnieSockran » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Please shut up.
Last edited by QContinuum on Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:00 pm

I randomly had a family member ask me about a firm named Shotkin & Associates a few days ago and was alarmed/amused when I stumbled on this thread. I speak fluent Mandarin and based on the video that was posted here (which I know relates to their old firm and may not be relevant anymore), their main thing is helping people get rid of debt. That may explain why many of the people who work there are not attorneys and why legal research is not a big thing. The major pitch in the video was that to help get your debt down, you need a team of skillful attorneys to talk to the banks on your behalf, and Shotkin is the only place that has CPAs/accountants working hand in hand with lawyers.

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:20 pm

I’m so happy I decided to open this thread and read it to the end. I vote for more Shotkin posts.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:59 pm

Shotkin to 190 before GDC and Latham

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:09 pm

Shotkin gets my vault survey write in vote. And I’m working on a superlawyers nomination for Ting Shao.

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:18 am

Prominent financial journalist Felix Salmon was apparently at Shotkin and tweeted a pic. Shotkin to the big leagues.

https://twitter.com/felixsalmon/status/ ... 33025?s=12
Last edited by QContinuum on Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

canthandlethetruth

New

Post by canthandlethetruth » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The pay was horrendous. They pay you as IC as mentioned before. You get somewhat of a "base salary" and get compensated based on the work you do/cases you work on. I worked there a few months (which felt like eternity) and looking back, I don't know how I survived. Desperate times call for desperate measures though.

I just thought it was really weird that they didn't want you talking to other attorneys. Even if you engage in small talk, they come to you and say "remember, no talking with other associates".

They have this boss guy (older chinese man) come to the office few times a week and he seems to be the one running everything.

When I was looking for an apartment, they showed me a few apartments saying it was their "friend's" apartment but I think it was another one of the many businesses they ran.

Even on my last day of work, they tried to give me work to do 5 minutes before I was about to leave. Yeah.. not happening.

The girl in the video is Korean and she speaks fluent Chinese.
Hi Anonymous User:

I actually have an issue with this firm and would like to discuss this matter with you further. Is there anyway that we could discuss your experience there in more detail? Please let me know.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Vianco

New

Post by Vianco » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:40 pm

This thread and areyouinsane's "Where do contract / temp attorneys come from?" are by my favorites. I always come back to them every once in a while for a good laugh.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=157855

Justice512

New

Post by Justice512 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:02 am

Last edited by QContinuum on Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

omar1

Bronze

Post by omar1 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:40 am

Their website still works though lol

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:12 pm

Thank you sooo much for saving me a trip to NYC for the interview with this firm. I was initially happy for getting an interview, especially when they mentioned that they have a senior attorney graduated from Harvard Law, from whom I though I got to learn a lot. Now it seems like his name and school is just for advertisement ...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

yhchoi1687

New

Post by yhchoi1687 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:29 pm

Can't believe they are still hiring people...
Last edited by QContinuum on Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

omar1

Bronze

Post by omar1 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:56 am

yhchoi1687 wrote:Can't believe they are still hiring people...

mimimimimimi

New

Post by mimimimimimi » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:59 am

Last edited by QContinuum on Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JHP

Bronze

Post by JHP » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:01 pm

mimimimimimi wrote:https://law.justia.com/cases/new-york/a ... 04898.html

update matter of Shotkin....
*Pikachu shocked face*

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Capstone

New

Post by Capstone » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:02 pm

Frederick Shotkin was born in 1927.. Just let that sink in.

mimimimimimi

New

Post by mimimimimimi » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:08 am

This law firm was a fraud and they were very irresponsible for clients cases. They were forcing clients to pay and threatening clients by terminating services. They charged irrational fees for unclear services and not providing any accounting details by lying and hiding.

Claims filed to NY attorney bar and the head attorney's qualification was already suspended.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:42 pm

Shotkin is pretty smart, he let the others trot him out to give some veneer of respectability (he’s kinda like the corpse emperor in 40k lol), he’s so old that he doesn’t give a shit about the repercussions (oh no he can’t practice law in his 90s) and he probably made a pretty penny off this endeavor.

mimimimimimi

New

Post by mimimimimimi » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:43 am

what happens to their website?/???
Last edited by QContinuum on Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”