Tips on Mass Mailing

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Tips on Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:39 pm

Rising 2L here.

Confused what people mean by "mass mailing." I know a huge bunch of firms coming to our school for OCI, so does it mean I shall start mass mailing those firms that won't come to OCI? In that case, the small and medium-sized firms.

For the firms coming to OCI, should I mass mail them after OCI, or should I mass mail as soon as I know that I do not have screener with their firm?

Thanks!

UVA2B

Re: Tips on Mass Mailing

Postby UVA2B » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:43 pm

Mass mailing is sending in resume, cover letter, and transcripts to every firm in every market that does the type of work you'd be interested in doing. This requires compiling all the contact info for those firms' recruiting departments/hiring contacts that can be found on NALP and elsewhere. Some will then require you actually apply through their online portal on their website.

Mass mailing can include firms that are coming to your OCI and firms that aren't. Some will specifically respond that they will be at your OCI and you should bid on them to see them then. Others will invite you to summer events, receptions, etc. Others might put you in contact with alumni from your school at their firm for informational interviews. And still others will actually offer you an interview if you're competitive for them.

Mass mailing is exactly what it sounds like: mailing your application materials to every employer you're interested in working with in every market that interests you.

Aergia

Postby Aergia » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:27 pm

UVA2B wrote:Mass mailing is sending in resume, cover letter, and transcripts to every firm in every market that does the type of work you'd be interested in doing. This requires compiling all the contact info for those firms' recruiting departments/hiring contacts that can be found on NALP and elsewhere. Some will then require you actually apply through their online portal on their website.

Mass mailing can include firms that are coming to your OCI and firms that aren't. Some will specifically respond that they will be at your OCI and you should bid on them to see them then. Others will invite you to summer events, receptions, etc. Others might put you in contact with alumni from your school at their firm for informational interviews. And still others will actually offer you an interview if you're competitive for them.

Mass mailing is exactly what it sounds like: mailing your application materials to every employer you're interested in working with in every market that interests you.

re the bold, does this also mean that low-GPA students might be auto-dinged before even starting? Whereas going through OCI might provide a better shot? Does the general advice to mass mail apply to noncompetitive candidates?

I'm starting with firms that aren't coming to my OCI but am confused about what to do with the firms that are.

UVA2B

Postby UVA2B » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:45 pm

Aergia wrote:
UVA2B wrote:Mass mailing is sending in resume, cover letter, and transcripts to every firm in every market that does the type of work you'd be interested in doing. This requires compiling all the contact info for those firms' recruiting departments/hiring contacts that can be found on NALP and elsewhere. Some will then require you actually apply through their online portal on their website.

re the bold, does this also mean that low-GPA students might be auto-dinged before even starting? Whereas going through OCI might provide a better shot? Does the general advice to mass mail apply to noncompetitive candidates?

I'm starting with firms that aren't coming to my OCI but am confused about what to do with the firms that are.

I won't pretend to be the expert on this as I'm only a rising 2L who hasn't gone through OCI yet, but if you wouldn't be competitive at that firm pre-OCI for hiring, I don't know that it will matter whether you are dinged pre-OCI or during OCI. Firms that will make decisions based on your GPA alone are going to do so both pre-OCI and during OCI. Hopefully you have information about firms in your market (it seems you want Houston?) that are less grade sensitive for your school. And if so, you should be targeting those firms, not the firms where you aren't likely to be successful. I don't personally think that changes whether we're talking about MM or OCI. If I'm a median student at a lower T13, I'm not MM or trying to interview at Wachtell at any stage, because that's a waste of both of our times and effort. Now apply that sort of rationale to your current GPA/school/market desire strategy.

Return to “Legal Employment”