URM with 3.24 GPA from lower t-14. What LA firms should I target

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

URM with 3.24 GPA from lower t-14. What LA firms should I target

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:30 pm

Non-california school. Had all B+’s and 1 B so I think im slightly below median. I have a 1L SA in LA and should have an offer back for next summer. Happy where I am but looking for a chance at some firms with bigger summer classes. Interested in LA only but I don’t have ties other than the fact that im spending the summer here. What firms should I be looking at? Open to any and all advice

pml87

New

Re: URM with 3.24 GPA from lower t-14. What LA firms should I target

Postby pml87 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Non-california school. Had all B+’s and 1 B so I think im slightly below median. I have a 1L SA in LA and should have an offer back for next summer. Happy where I am but looking for a chance at some firms with bigger summer classes. Interested in LA only but I don’t have ties other than the fact that im spending the summer here. What firms should I be looking at? Open to any and all advice

You are below median so the top LA firms are probably out. How is your interviewing skill? Rank of current firm? Practice area?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:55 pm

pml87 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Non-california school. Had all B+’s and 1 B so I think im slightly below median. I have a 1L SA in LA and should have an offer back for next summer. Happy where I am but looking for a chance at some firms with bigger summer classes. Interested in LA only but I don’t have ties other than the fact that im spending the summer here. What firms should I be looking at? Open to any and all advice

You are below median so the top LA firms are probably out. How is your interviewing skill? Rank of current firm? Practice area?

Really good interviewer. Sattelite office of a v30. Transactional.

malibustacy

Bronze

Postby malibustacy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:22 pm

The ones with big LA classes are firms I believe are out of your range such as Gibson or Paul Hastings.

Apply to all of them. You already have an offer to return from your current firm, so what do you have to lose?

BulletTooth

Bronze

Postby BulletTooth » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:32 pm

malibustacy wrote:The ones with big LA classes are firms I believe are out of your range such as Gibson or Paul Hastings.

Apply to all of them. You already have an offer to return from your current firm, so what do you have to lose?

Yes, Gibson, Paul Hastings, O'Melveny, Skadden, S&C, Jones Day, Sidley, and Latham likely won't hire below 3.5/3.4, but it's worth a shot. You should have a fair chance at any other LA firm.

IExistedOnceBefore

Bronze

Postby IExistedOnceBefore » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:43 pm

BulletTooth wrote:
malibustacy wrote:The ones with big LA classes are firms I believe are out of your range such as Gibson or Paul Hastings.

Yes, Gibson, Paul Hastings, O'Melveny, Skadden, S&C, Jones Day, Sidley, and Latham likely won't hire below 3.5/3.4, but it's worth a shot. You should have a fair chance at any other LA firm.

Depends on the T13. Op ask your career services for data if they have it. Some t13s will place into those firms in LA with GPAs down around 3.1-3.2. Super school specific and by no means a gaurentee. But not totally impossible.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:10 am

IExistedOnceBefore wrote:
BulletTooth wrote:

Depends on the T13. Op ask your career services for data if they have it. Some t13s will place into those firms in LA with GPAs down around 3.1-3.2. Super school specific and by no means a gaurentee. But not totally impossible.

Thanks. Is it worth massmaiing now or should I wait till oci as to not get written off before I get a chance to speak to them?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:12 am

BulletTooth wrote:

I have an URM friend whom was hired by Skadden with a 3.2

IExistedOnceBefore

Bronze

Postby IExistedOnceBefore » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
BulletTooth wrote:

Thanks. Is it worth massmaiing now or should I wait till oci as to not get written off before I get a chance to speak to them?

Depends. This is something to look at data for. If they're coming to OCI and your OCI is lottery I would almost wait until then to bid on them so they don't knock you out. I would absolutely start networking with alumni at the firms though, talking to them over the phone or having coffee if you're local to pick their brain and get your name out there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BulletTooth wrote:

Depends. This is something to look at data for. If they're coming to OCI and your OCI is lottery I would almost wait until then to bid on them so they don't knock you out. I would absolutely start networking with alumni at the firms though, talking to them over the phone or having coffee if you're local to pick their brain and get your name out there.

Thanks. I figured mailing ahead of time would give me two cracks at it but I guess that's not the case. My oci is pure lottery so I should be able to secure bids with all the la firms that come. Once my current firm (knock on wood) gives me an offer, I'll only bid LA

NoChainz

Bronze

Postby NoChainz » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BulletTooth wrote:

I would massmail firms in LA now. You aren't at a California school so you may as well try and interview in person while you are out there, then you could use those OCI bids on other locations.

spiritniffler189

Bronze

Postby spiritniffler189 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:57 pm

I'm not sure how similar LA is, but I know a number of URM's at T14's who got top firms with your gpa or less in NYC. It really depends on your interviewing skills and how much you hustle - I suggest informational interviews/coffee with people at any firm you're interested while you're out there for the summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:09 pm

Shepard Mullin DTLA

Return to “Legal Employment?