Special snowflake targeting London

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 324895
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Special snowflake targeting London

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:08 am

I know how unlikely landing a job in London is, but if I wanted to take a stab at it, how would I go about doing so?

For background, near top of the class grades at my T20. Should I just target firms with London offices and hope I don't get laughed at when I mention that's where I'd like to summer? Is mass mailing the Magic Circle a thing?

Anonymous User
Posts: 324895
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Special snowflake targeting London

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:34 am

Only anecdotal, but a person I know who managed to snag a London SA in OCI had a lot of experience abroad. It wasn't necessarily work-related, but she had traveled extensively (I think she was also born outside the U.S.). Obviously, not everyone is lucky enough to be able to have traveled frequently, but I would highlight any int'l experience (esp in the U.K., obviously). From their perspective, I imagine it gives them some confidence that you won't get homesick and bail for the U.S. in a year.

User avatar
SmokeytheBear

Silver
Posts: 923
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:40 pm

Re: Special snowflake targeting London

Postby SmokeytheBear » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:37 pm

Search the forum, as there is a thread of a partner (I believe at a US firm's london office) who is answering questions.

He answered this question for a few people and the general sense was that it's not going to happen.

Anonymous User
Posts: 324895
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Special snowflake targeting London

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:50 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:Search the forum, as there is a thread of a partner (I believe at a US firm's london office) who is answering questions.

He answered this question for a few people and the general sense was that it's not going to happen.


OP here. Thanks -- urm, cheers.

User avatar
emkay625

Gold
Posts: 1987
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Special snowflake targeting London

Postby emkay625 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:26 pm

I have a friend who managed to do this, but they had a few years of work experience in international banking prior to law school and also speak multiple languages. He was also getting his joint JD/MBA. My guess is you would need some sort of background like this that makes you an asset to a London office.

qxfr

New
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:51 am

Re: Special snowflake targeting London

Postby qxfr » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:18 pm

I'm not the partner from the other threads but I am NY qualified and spent a few years in London, across two V25 firms, doing a mix of restructuring, general capital markets, and specifically high yield and leveraged finance. Only one of the firms I worked for had summers in London, and I would say that all of them had either some nexus to London or Europe, but I don't know if that was necessary. In general, US firms have a tough time keeping people in London for the long haul so I think there are usually opportunities opening up - even if you do not get a summer in London I think it is not that hard to end up in London if you can get a job at a good firm in New York (which it sounds like you can). Right now is probably not the best time, however; my sense is that hiring market for US-qualified lawyers is not that amazing and a lot of firms have overhired a bit in anticipation of extra demand that never came.

I can't imagine anyone would laugh at you when you say that's where you want to summer - tons of US firms have London offices and a lot of the bigger ones will rotate summers there. It's definitely worth a shot. PM if you want some more specific info.

Anonymous User
Posts: 324895
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Special snowflake targeting London

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:56 pm

I got a summer placement in London. International experience helps, if you don't have any you should come up with a really strong response for why you want to go to London.
I think firms are weary of people just looking for a free trip abroad. Also, you should target magic circle firms when interviewing. Good luck!

Nebby

Diamond
Posts: 31199
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Special snowflake targeting London

Postby Nebby » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know how unlikely landing a job in London is, but if I wanted to take a stab at it, how would I go about doing so?

For background, near top of the class grades at my T20. Should I just target firms with London offices and hope I don't get laughed at when I mention that's where I'd like to summer? Is mass mailing the Magic Circle a thing?

Only people I know who got London were people with prior experience in London or related to it (either work or study).

User avatar
deepseapartners

Bronze
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:49 pm

Re: Special snowflake targeting London

Postby deepseapartners » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:44 pm

PM me

Anonymous User
Posts: 324895
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Special snowflake targeting London

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:22 pm

Nebby wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know how unlikely landing a job in London is, but if I wanted to take a stab at it, how would I go about doing so?

For background, near top of the class grades at my T20. Should I just target firms with London offices and hope I don't get laughed at when I mention that's where I'd like to summer? Is mass mailing the Magic Circle a thing?

Only people I know who got London were people with prior experience in London or related to it (either work or study).


Any arbitration or all cap markets?



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.