Refinancing Student Debt--Timing

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Refinancing Student Debt--Timing

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:52 pm

I'll keep it to the point. I am $200k+ in student debt from undergrad and law school, but am an incoming first-year in big law. My credit score has always been good, but currently is very average and between 650-700 at the moment. While I do understand the benefits of refinancing and reducing 5-8% loans to 3.5% (is this a liberal estimate?), I am not very knowledgeable about the timing of refinancing. I do understand that credit scores have a pretty large role in determining what rate you'll get refinanced at, but thats pretty much the extent of what I know. I've read the sticky thread personal finance 101 and read big law investor, but haven't seen much about a threshold, if you will, that your credit score should cross before refinancing to get a better rate. From my understanding, those sources just say refinance asap (especially big law investor). So I guess my questions are these:
(1) should one just refinance with a less-than-great credit score and take what they give you (obv negotiating it w/ diff. companies) b/c it'll still be lower than your current rate, or wait until credit score is better to get a better rate; and
(2) is refinancing worth giving up attractive federal repayment plans?

Appreciate any feedback.

Anonymous User

Re: Refinancing Student Debt--Timing

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:35 pm

Do not refinance until you have spent some time in big law. I refinanced shortly after starting and regretted doing it since I realized I freaking hated my job. Much better to get the government perks unless you think you can stomach big law for 4-6 years. Even then, keep the higher interest rates and just pay down more than the minimums every month and you'll see the principal amount go down pretty fast.

Return to “Legal Employment�