Thank You Email?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
elendinel

Re: Thank You Email?

Postby elendinel » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:01 pm

1styearlateral wrote:Do you drop your date off at his/her apartment and then immediately text them "had a nice night" or "thank you for taking me out"? Yeah, you could. But to say nothing speaks volumes and playing hard-to-get is almost always the best strategy.

:lol:

Regarding handwritten notes, I don't think a handwritten note is effective for most employers (judges/maybe solo practitioners excluded) because of the timeline for making these choices. When I've interviewed someone, I've been required to input my comments that day (or not much more than a day later); by the time a handwritten letter gets to me I've probably already entered my comments and can't add to them. Thus your letter ended up being kind of useless for you. In a situation where only one person is doing all the interviewing and hiring it may be fine because they may still be making a decision a few days from then, but in most other circumstances it's not useful.

I think sending a handwritten note to a biglaw interviewer or your interviewer at, say, Google, is the point at which I'd think you look desperate. But that's just me personally.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:53 pm

This is so silly that it shouldn't even need to be said, but I'll say it anyway: context matters.

If you're applying to jobs at small firms (or small companies) in, say, the South or the Midwest, then you probably should send thank-you notes.

If you're applying to jobs at large firms (or large tech companies) on the coasts, then you probably shouldn't send thank-you notes.

If you're applying to a judge, then you should talk to a couple of former clerks and follow their advice about the judge's quirks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:18 pm

OP here - thanks for everyone's input. Ultimately decided not to send anything.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:00 pm

OP again - quick related question: During the interviews I didn't get a great sense of timing for when they would be making any decisions - would it be OK to send the internal recruiter/HR person a quick email asking about timing?

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP again - quick related question: During the interviews I didn't get a great sense of timing for when they would be making any decisions - would it be OK to send the internal recruiter/HR person a quick email asking about timing?

Yes. Though be aware that any email you send to HR will probably be forwarded to the person making the hiring decision.

Return to “Legal Employment”