Realistic shot at non-regional Biglaw? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Realistic shot at non-regional Biglaw?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:35 pm

I'll keep it brief: Top 20% at a T20, non-URM, no real w/e, but a reasonably good interviewer. Big law is still plausible, correct? If so, am I locked into my T20's region? (Sorry for the vagueness.)

TLSModBot

Diamond

Re: Realistic shot at non-regional Biglaw?

Post by TLSModBot » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:54 pm

Possible, sure, but exact likelihood is difficult to assess without knowing the specific school and region you're targeting.

Regardless: work connections, network like a motherfucker, mass mail, target the big Biglaw markets like NY, and apply outside of Biglaw to be safe.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'll keep it brief: Top 20% at a T20, non-URM, no real w/e, but a reasonably good interviewer. Big law is still plausible, correct? If so, am I locked into my T20's region? (Sorry for the vagueness.)
Yes, it's plausible. Best chances will be in your law school's region + NYC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:13 pm

Thanks, guys. That's about what I figured. NYC isn't really a preference of mine, but I guess I'll bid heavy there regardless. Chicago or DC would be the dream, but I know those are tough to get.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks, guys. That's about what I figured. NYC isn't really a preference of mine, but I guess I'll bid heavy there regardless. Chicago or DC would be the dream, but I know those are tough to get.
Is your school near DC or Chicago? If not, I'd probably steer generally away from both. As Rpupkin said, your school's region + NYC -- that will be your best chance.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:51 pm

The hiring market is better than it was, you have a real shot, but as others have said you'll need to target NYC heavily. And you should be ready to convince them that NYC is your dream.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:33 pm

androstan wrote:The hiring market is better than it was, you have a real shot, but as others have said you'll need to target NYC heavily. And you should be ready to convince them that NYC is your dream.
Understood. I'll be sure to bid NYC + school's region aggressively. Is it worth it to mass mail to DC and Chicago? I'll take NYC if need be, but would still like to have options.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
androstan wrote:The hiring market is better than it was, you have a real shot, but as others have said you'll need to target NYC heavily. And you should be ready to convince them that NYC is your dream.
Understood. I'll be sure to bid NYC + school's region aggressively. Is it worth it to mass mail to DC and Chicago? I'll take NYC if need be, but would still like to have options.
Definitely worth it.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
This is a bit of a strange question. It doesn't matter if it's DC or Boise, if you want to work in a given market, you need to be mass mailing it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Yes, it's worth it to mass mail in that the cost to you is low while the upside is high. It's not likely that you'll get big law in DC or Chicago through mass mailing, but why not try?

By the way, your refusal to identify your law school is weird. You're anon, and the specific law school you go to is actually relevant to your questions. You'll get better advice here if you just say which "T20" you attend.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:38 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yes, it's worth it to mass mail in that the cost to you is low while the upside is high. It's not likely that you'll get big law in DC or Chicago through mass mailing, but why not try?

By the way, your refusal to identify your law school is weird. You're anon, and the specific law school you go to is actually relevant to your questions. You'll get better advice here if you just say which "T20" you attend.
Point taken. WUSTL. Also, great avatar.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

You should get 10+ NY/chi interviews from interview programs.

favabeansoup

Bronze

Post by favabeansoup » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

If you are a decent interviewer should be able to get Chicago biglaw. Maybe with a few offers too.

D.C. is meh, but worth the mass mailing campaign.

I'd bid heavily Chicago (and mass Mail Chicago too), and use remaining free bids for NYC/DC + Mass mail there.

You want NYC just as a backup option, but given school and stats you probably won't end up using it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:04 am

favabeansoup wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

If you are a decent interviewer should be able to get Chicago biglaw. Maybe with a few offers too.

I'd bid heavily Chicago (and mass Mail Chicago too), and use remaining free bids for NYC/DC + Mass mail there.

You want NYC just as a backup option, but given school and stats you probably won't end up using it.
I went to WUSTL

OP has unlimited bids since at WUSTL. You can also bid Bryan Cave/TC/Polsinielli/LockeLorde and say you want to summer in their Chicago office.

njdevils2626

Silver

Post by njdevils2626 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:29 am

favabeansoup wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I went to WUSTL and I think the opinion here may be slightly too optimistic regarding geography. WUSTL doesn't place as well in Chicago as one would expect given the proximity, the only students I know working Chicago biglaw were somewhere around the top 10-15%.

You have unlimited bids and I'd highly suggest bidding strongly in Chicago and gunning for it (both at OCI and MM), but you'll also have to do the NY interview programs (and should probably do DC as well if it's a city you want, just know DC is highly competitive). Don't leave NYC as a backup or assume that you'll get Chicago, most WUSTL students end up in NYC and that's your most likely outcome. It's better to be there than to strike out

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”