History and the Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Baconbits

New

History and the Law

Postby Baconbits » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:09 pm

So I know many American lawyers are not fans of history, I am... however.

I realize this is not "quite" legal employment but it is a matter of concern in a sense to the world of practicing law in general....

So law as we know it, it's earliest origins were likely in the Middle East, in many ways it's existence was very closely linked to religion. In fact, that's why so many laws today have kinds of biblical references, such as thou shalt not kill, steal, etc.

There were also more laws in the realm of personal affairs, coveting thy neighbor's wife and all that, which eventually found their way also into laws of various kinds.

So, it is an incredibly long heritage, at least as measured by a human life or in human history, we can see references in of various kinds to potential laws and commands of various kinds as early as perhaps even 8000 BC, although we don't get the kind of systematic versions until the code of Hammurabi around the turn of a millenium...

But interestingly, despite it's incredibly long history, the law itself or these concepts has not necessarily factored in prominently in all kinds of aspects of life and culture, partly because it was culturally bound. People in other parts of the universe, possibly, and certainly earth, were living according to their own custom and culture, or perhaps with no custom or culture at all.

A lot of this started to change in really around 0 or the beginning of a lot of the strife and tumult in the middle east, leading to things such as the Jewish diaspora and other events, but the world in general was essentially becoming a lot more global and broader, which meant people of various cultural persuasions were coming into contact with various things.

Cue to modern times, and in many ways the role of "law" or something related to it has accelerated in terms of recognition by various forces and factors.

Chief among them, like it or not, were WW1 and WW2, where the preeminence of law became paramount in a number of different issues... the Holocaust, and several other factors.

In fact, you can argue quite easily that while the law has mutated many times the one that eventually became most popular was that of the Anglo-Saxon variety, from Germany. The founders including Hamilton etc decided that a strict form of precedential law would be an appropriate improvement to society.

And really, in 2017, many lawyers seem to still think the same way.

Well it turns out... that to accept the role of the law as important and valid in 2017, following things like Nazi Germany and all that, is quite an incredibly stupid thing to do...

The simple fact is that if you have practiced law in any capacity up to and including the present, in all probability you have more or less promulgated Nazism and affiliated forms of white supremacy.

Additionally, doing so in America... well that's incredibly bold to say the least.

Now, that doesn't mean the end of all things, but it does mean in all probability you were vastly and overwhelmingly ignorant.. see... unfortunately, America had promulgated a certain notion apparently by accident, they gave the appearance of ignorance but it was in fact simply certainty, and in many ways precision.

It's not that America is the "new world" it was in fact so "infatuated" I guess you could say of the old world and customs that they sought only the best of the best, which.... really is not Germany.

So that's why people in America often hate lawyers, they hate that they have ignorantly taken the old world and thrust it into their faces without them asking or knowing what it's all about.

The worst of the worst actually take a point of hostility, that the old world has creativity that Americans don't possess. It's true, they do have creativity that Americans don't possess, that's not the point, however.

So where is this going... well it's going in a different direction. The divisive issues simply mutated, they didn't go away. In fact, I would say that the point of division for people has not been cultural or country based in a sense but rather, er, well, sexual.

In my experience, I never met a lawyer who wasn't a closet sadomasochist on some level, not in the terms of "Christian Gray" situation, per se, although I guess the books and movies seem to finally make that clear as he is "I'm not a dominant, I'm a sadist" pretty important distinction in my book.

And likewise, you will still find America littered with hardened "straight" types who will eye your queerily gay and softish ways with incredible uncertainty and skepticism.

My purpose isn't really to get into these points, or sides, it was, as the title makes clear, to discuss history, both long and short, and also my own history...

I was born in California to a Russian Jewish mother and Norwegian father... two clashing cultures I guess you could say... although both of them long ago abandoned any semblance of cultural heritage and all that... my mother wasn't religious and my dad wasn't political, in any meaningful sense.

They came to America for the cheesiest possible reasons, straight out of a movie... to avoid the old world and all it's connotations and problems.

Not that that solved all their problems, it's still a fairly uncertain universe and existence, but it seems at least one problem could be dealt with.

That of.. being hounded by a certain kind old world dilemma.

But did they? The law still exists, it still applies to everyone equally in the nation in which they live, and no matter how many people try to run from that with their firms and all that, that actually just aggravated the problems.

I mean seriously does compiling economic might in order to wage virtual real estate land warfare somehow better than attempting to make amends within a heavily flawed system? Going "private" or "transactional" or whatever else merely aggravated the problems.

In my own experience, everyone in my family like all cousins/relations etc made their choice early on, lawyers and all their culture was evil and stupid, and that's all there was to it.

I myself wasn't sure what to think... finishing college at 22 I felt only more uncertainty, more unanswered questions, and I decided, I still wanted to learn more.

At the time, I don't think I had really formulated a strong opinion on the law one way or another, I had been to maybe one jury panel, and had some classes were issues or raised, but I knew next to nothing about it or it's current practice, or even really about many of the cultural/historical elements either.

In fact, I think the thinking was "more school!" school being infinitely preferable to "work." School meant preserving a sense of youth and innocence, and the possibility of escaping my 20s without being dragged into someone else's conflict or fight, and leaving my own dreams in tact...

I was genuinely curious and so I went.. to a top 14 school actually...

Now for me, personally, it's important to say.. I never really took after either of my parents, I would say I was simply unique, I have some elements similar to my dad and mom.

So it was probably not going to be like the same experience.. but anyway this is my even shorter term history of the experience.

Wow! Great stuff... I mean it really, I thought law school and everything I learned was exciting and new and different, I feel like I was somehow discovering a vast new universe.. that lay beyond the "college" that everyone expected and understood so well.

I began to see myself, to a certain extent as a lawyer potentially, and wanted to do it just like everyone else..

But there' something I learned about lawyers in America and perhaps generally... which is that while the school experience can be good or great, actually trying to be a practicing a lawyer is not.

The simple fact, is that everything from the super airtight saxon faggotry of a Latham Watkins, to the less stalwart but congenial Nazism of a Cravath, or the bare fringes Eastern European flair of your local private tort law firm, is how shall I put this a giant pile of dog shit.

I don't know what goes on in those places, and I don't care, they all need to die, every last, one, must, go.

Why must they go? Because at one point or another if they don't the vast majority of the "straights" will be so pissed that they'll probably start targeting and hunting these people to the ends of the earth.

So to summarize, law school? Just fine. Legal employment? Not so much, there's many problems here that clearly have their roots in other things and are most certainly not my problems or concerns.

Oh and the Bar Association, bar exams, all that needs to be destroyed as well. Having fin doms maggoting all over what you learned and did in law school is redundant and annoying. I found my legal classes and hard enough and passed them just fine thanks, even did extremely well in many of them... the bar exam was a complete redundancy.

Additionally, all the govt elements must go including everything from the supreme court to state courts and district courts, the only thing that seemed functional was kind of the "bottom of the ladder" so to speak which is something like the public defenders and all that, so they're ok, but just about every other element of the legal universe is corrupted beyond belief... there is simply no saving these things.

How the hell any of these things survived the 20th century is beyond me, but they will not be long for the present.

And... that's it? I mean I'm sure any of these things could be achieved somewhat easily, a volley of lawsuits based on discriminatio based on race, ethnicity, sex, gender, all of the above, should do just fine for all of them, as they need to go.

"But that's not going to happen, we control all these things blah blah blah"

Are you sure about that? Willing to bet your life and your family's life on it?

Not all stories need happy endings, you know.

Roy McAvoy

Bronze

Re: History and the Law

Postby Roy McAvoy » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:21 pm

How many billable hours did you lose out on by writing this out?

Mullens

Silver

Postby Mullens » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:24 pm

Serious question: are you a sovereign citizen?

Telecaster

New

Postby Telecaster » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:25 pm

Great post. Let's have a dialogue on this.

Bluem_11

Bronze

Postby Bluem_11 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:32 pm

Hopefully your briefs look like this. Judges love this kind of writing.

blueapple

Silver

Postby blueapple » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:33 pm

Mullens wrote:Serious question: are you a sovereign citizen?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:59 pm

No no no no no, we are NOT doing this thread.

Return to “Legal Employment�