DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2017-18

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone check their status and see one of the components originally selected from gone?

I was only selected for one component and I just checked it is still there with the status "Selected for Interview." Anyone else have that issue?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:48 am

I was selected for 2 components (one formal, one informal). I heard my references have all been checked for one of the components (formal). I am still "selected for interview". I still show both components on my dashboard.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:I was selected for 2 components (one formal, one informal). I heard my references have all been checked for one of the components (formal). I am still "selected for interview". I still show both components on my dashboard.

Do you mind sharing what component your references were checked for?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was selected for 2 components (one formal, one informal). I heard my references have all been checked for one of the components (formal). I am still "selected for interview". I still show both components on my dashboard.

Do you mind sharing what component your references were checked for?

Sure - Commercial Litigation Branch

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:11 pm

I also heard that my references are being checked for one component, but not the other. Do you know if both components check references if they are interested in a candidate, or does only one component check the references and then share that info with the other component?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I also heard that my references are being checked for one component, but not the other. Do you know if both components check references if they are interested in a candidate, or does only one component check the references and then share that info with the other component?

You gotta say at least the Division (if you're not comfortable with the branch) that contacted your references. For all of our sakes. I don't think components share references checks. During SLIP last year, more than one civil division branch contacted my references. I'm assuming HP would be the same considering they are all competing for candidates.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:03 pm

Does anyone know if EOIR-BIA checks references before a finalist designation or after? Also, how soon after the interview period closes the offers typically go out. There is not really any information for this component on the previous years threads and I was just trying to get an idea of how they typically go about things. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:36 pm

Maybe we should all breathe a little bit until closer to Thanksgiving? We can do this. We're not anxiety-ridden law students or anything.
*in*
*out*

When are offers made?
There is no set time, but we anticipate that most components will make first-round offers about two weeks after the end of formal interviews. The majority of the offers will be made from from November 22nd through December, but the process could extend into January and beyond.
https://www.justice.gov/legal-careers/honors-program-frequently-asked-questions#d10
Basically they're just going to cause panic the day before Thanksgiving.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if EOIR-BIA checks references before a finalist designation or after? Also, how soon after the interview period closes the offers typically go out. There is not really any information for this component on the previous years threads and I was just trying to get an idea of how they typically go about things. Thanks.

This is just anecdotal, but I haven't heard of any component checking references after a finalist designation. My sense from the way everything is run centrally through OARM is that components would need to get all that stuff done before designating a finalist. Also, there's not usually a big gap of time between designating finalists and offers going out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
masettak wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey HP applicants! My references contacted me today saying that they received reference requests from EOIR. I also had an interview with Civil, though. Anyone heard about reference requests from Civil (other than Torts)?

Nothing from civil. What component did you interview for EOIR, was it OCIJ or another one?

Just OCIJ

Do you know if the people doing the reference-calling for OCIJ were from the actual immigration courts that are hiring? (As opposed to being a centralized process like the interviews were)

It’s all centralized, including the matching algorithm.

sparanj2

Postby sparanj2 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if EOIR-BIA checks references before a finalist designation or after? Also, how soon after the interview period closes the offers typically go out. There is not really any information for this component on the previous years threads and I was just trying to get an idea of how they typically go about things. Thanks.

This is just anecdotal, but I haven't heard of any component checking references after a finalist designation. My sense from the way everything is run centrally through OARM is that components would need to get all that stuff done before designating a finalist. Also, there's not usually a big gap of time between designating finalists and offers going out.

If I remember correctly from last year, CRM:AFML checked references only after announcing finalists. And then offers came immediately after the reference check.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:34 pm

Has anyone heard of references being checked in the last few days?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard of references being checked in the last few days?

People have reported references being checked last week. Unsure if I've seen anything about references this week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:25 pm

From Deana on Avue:

Greetings, all:

The Honors Program interviews are complete (for formal participants, anyway). If you traveled or have any reimbursable expenses, please submit a reimbursement request as soon as possible. We prefer submissions within 5 days of completion of travel, as we have to deal with multiple charges to government credit cards. And we know most of you want your money back, right?

SLIP interviews are still ongoing. It just takes longer for the SLIP since it is decentralized.

NEXT STEPS: Components will identify their finalists and notify OARM. Finalists include first-round offer candidates and alternates. OARM will update online status as finalists are selected. Please note that components may request offer clearance at any time, although for most, there's a period of time to accommodate reference checks, etc. Some components conduct reference checks prior to identifying finalists; some do it afterward. It's at the component's discretion.

Our goal is to identify HP finalists and get them cleared for offers before Thanksgiving. Please note that the mere fact that a component identifies finalists does not necessarily mean that offers will go out immediately. Some components, like EOIR, do very thorough reference checks before extending offers.

Best of luck to all!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard of references being checked in the last few days?

People have reported references being checked last week. Unsure if I've seen anything about references this week.

I interviewed with 4 civil offices and a USA office. Torts and USA office contacted references immediately. Havent heard any movement from other civil offices :/ I'm also wondering if offices a candidate interned for (SLIP, etc) will still call references.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:00 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:24 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:did anybody leave an interview very confident they would be getting an offer? I had an interviewer basically tell me he'd recommend me for an offer but I don't know how serious I should take that. Like maybe interviewers say those things to several candidates, and who knows how much pull this interviewer actually has? They also put A LOT of emphasis on my office rankings. Like ugh I just wan't a job! Don't NOT give me an offer because of my rankings..

I felt pretty confident leaving but then I found out the ratio of interviews to offers and was like lol ok nvm. it went well, but not THAT well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:04 am

I seriously wonder how much the branches within a division talk to each other. "Are you giving her an offer?" "what did you think of her?" "did she say this in her thank you email?"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:16 am

I didn't even get an email to send a thank you email to. :? I think that was deliberate though

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:I didn't even get an email to send a thank you email to. :? I think that was deliberate though

I actually find thank you emails/letters to be completely fake and unnecessary. And I don't think most employers expect or even want them. I've gotten both of my clerkships without sending them. But, I felt like I had to send thank you emails for these interviews since they were so concerned with office rankings and whether or not candidates would turn down an offer. Also, i'm sure it wasn't deliberate. Some offices are just less organized and forget to give cards.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:17 pm

FedP checking references today

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:15 am

The holiday weekend is over time to start obsessively checking my application status in Avue and e-mail to see if my references notify me that they have been contacted. :shock:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:The holiday weekend is over time to start obsessively checking my application status in Avue and e-mail to see if my references notify me that they have been contacted. :shock:

Right?! Ugh... the next week and a half are going to be brutal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:45 am

Has anyone received an offer yet or found out that they are a finalist? I was looking at previous top-law-schools threads and a few people seemed to have received offers during this week, although the majority of offers--especially from EOIR--were extended later in November. Getting nervous!!!

Return to “Legal Employment”